Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree15Likes
  • 14 Post By jmoz
  • 1 Post By Rocks

Thread: Tri-Star and Pilot ready to go to Pakistan and Dubai for 9 days

Tri-Star and Pilot ready to go to Pakistan and Dubai for 9 days

So, I'm all packed and ready to head to the airport for 9 days in Dubai and Pakistan. I've included pictures of my Tri-Star and Pilot so people can compare the size. I should mention that neither bag is overly full; the Pilot could easily accommodate a packing cube, while the Tri-Star would have space for a (not-overfilled) large packing cube if I were to remove my tweed jacket from the center section.

As an aside, for anyone who was interested in the Small Crumpler Haven for a Micro 4/3 camera: it fits very very well in the small front section of the Tri-Star, with room left over for a nice Op-Tech sling strap and a TB clear organizer cube for liquids.

I likely won't be around much for the next 10 days, but I'll try to follow-up if anyone has questions.

P.S. I make a motion that Tom Bihn rename Navy Ballistic Nylon to TARDIS Ballistic Nylon. It's a better description of both the color and how it

Name:  IMG_20140309_152817192.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  246.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20140309_152827633.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  185.9 KB

Looking forward to hearing about your travels!
    p.s. my Copilot is the same ballistic navy, Tardis rather, and it's gorgeous.
    Darcy likes this.

I'm sitting in the Dubai Mall waiting for the timing on my ticket for the Burj Khalifa observation deck, and I thought I'd mention that even with everything I acquired on this trip (and it was not as little as I had expected), I've managed to fit everything with a little room to spare in the Pilot. My Tri-Star is pretty heavy (probably 10-12 kg or more, but I haven't weighed it, but it won't likely matter), but I'm amazed how much fits. As soon as I think it's full, I find a place to shove something else in....

Glad to hear that everything pulled through in time for your trip! Enjoy yourself and your Tardis blue bags!

12.5 kg.... That's a bit too much to carry, but at least it's not for long.

And a photo of my over-stuffed Tri-Star and mostly (not not completely) full Pilot at the Dubai airport on the way home.... I'm amazed how much one can fit in the Tri-Star, though I'm not sure one really SHOULD fit that much. It's worth noting that even at 12.5 kg, no one looked twice at it as carry-on. (Even on PIA with their nominal 7 kg limit, but very spotty enforcement.)

Name:  IMG_20140317_195125020.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  43.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    And a photo of my over-stuffed Tri-Star and mostly (not not completely) full Pilot at the Dubai airport on the way home.... I'm amazed how much one can fit in the Tri-Star, though I'm not sure one really SHOULD fit that much. It's worth noting that even at 12.5 kg, no one looked twice at it as carry-on. (Even on PIA with their nominal 7 kg limit, but very spotty enforcement.)

Name:  IMG_20140317_195125020.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  43.2 KB
    Wow, that's one bulging Tri-Star, haha! That's the only hesitation I have with getting one. Worried that it will pack like that even when 3/4 full.
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

That Tri-Star was loaded beyond any reasonable degree. It usually doesn't bulge too much, and I'm still not an expert at packing it. I think the killer is that I all three sections seriously loaded. (As in a lesser bag's zippers would likely have burst.) Even the "Before" pictures at the beginning of this thread are not exactly under-filled.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0