• 1 Post By KmK
  • 5 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By weirdguy

Thread: New Love

KmK

New Love

Name:  photo (1).JPG
Views: 770
Size:  176.9 KB I love my new Nordic Side Effect! Love the color combo with solar, love the contrast with the Ultraviolet interior of my Large Cafe Bag, love the way it holds all of the bits and bobs in a tidy contained way while still being flexible...squishable, if you will. That is the one big bonus I find between the Dyneema version of this bag and the Ballistic. Both are solid, durable, well-serving, bags...but I like the give that the Dyneema has. It easily holds what you see in the picture--Which includes a pencil pouch with four writing instruments and a small leather cover with two Fieldnotes notebooks inside. My phone is also usually in there along with a granola bar as well. Pop that puppy into the LCB with lunch, a book, and my students' papers, and voila, streamlined awesomeness.

Thank you for this picture, I am waiting for mine and this makes waiting a little easier. I am hoping that this one is something in between the Ballistic and the normal Dynemma beeing the tuffer material from the outside of the bags?
    As you I like the give of the Dynemma but find my 200 Dynemma SE too sloggy to use as a purse. I only use that one as a pouch in a bag. For a purse I use my Ballistic SE because it keeps its form better and therefore looks more grownup (does that make sense to you?).

Long story short: how does this one compare to the 200 Dynemma SE's?

Ilkyway

KmK
    Ilkyway,

Well, the outer Dyneema is the 400d so it already has a bit more heft to it and then it is lined with Solar in 200d. So...I think you'll find it much more "composed" than 200d alone. It keeps its shape but maintains flexibility...which also makes it graciously accepting of a few more items or items of a non square/rectangle shape. Did I mention that I love this bag? :) And the red zipper threads make me smile.

Yes, the zipper threads look great. Thank you for confirming my hopes. Looking at nice pictures of bags "on the way" is very nice!
    By the way, I love the new Metalic-Zippers. They allow for threading nice cord in (like you did) or for low-profile more classic appearance without any cord.

Ilkyway

Hello @kmk, thanks for sharing your experience and the great photo.

I saw your multi-color Pocket Pouch, is it a special edition?
    I never know a Pocket Pouch could have so many material and color involved. Like a Cordinal exterior, Iberian Lining and a most probably French Blue exterior border.
    A colorful small Pouch. I wonder whether Tom Bihn still make those.

UPDATE:
    Nevermind. I just found out that it is a Limited Edition RWB Pocket Pouch and they were all gone.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/tombihn/9257569570/
    Last edited by weirdguy; 08-01-2014 at 05:21 AM.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

:( the revival of this thread makes me so sad for not getting a Nordic Side Effect when I had the chance!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Hello @kmk, thanks for sharing your experience and the great photo.

I saw your multi-color Pocket Pouch, is it a special edition?
    I never know a Pocket Pouch could have so many material and color involved. Like a Cordinal exterior, Iberian Lining and a most probably French Blue exterior border.
    A colorful small Pouch. I wonder whether Tom Bihn still make those.

UPDATE:
    Nevermind. I just found out that it is a Limited Edition RWB Pocket Pouch and they were all gone.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/tombihn/9257569570/
    @weirdguy That Limited Edition RWB Pocket Pouch was a promotional offering for orders over $20 placed close to the time of the Fourth of July weekend in 2013. it was made with Cardinal Ballistic Nylon, Sapphire Blue Trim, and a background lining (somewhat hidden by the contents) of Iberian Dyneema with the white grid of Dyneema running through the red background of the lining.
    Name:  4thpocketpouchnotes.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  47.4 KB

There was a similar event around the Fourth of July in 2011 with a Limited Edition FOJ (Fourth of July) small organizer pouch in Navy Ballistic nylon with red trim and white stitching below the zipper.
    Name:  4thpouchblog.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  61.4 KB

The first FOJ pouch offering was a good way to introduce people to ballistic nylon pouches and fabrics soon after the new Navy Ballistic Nylon fabric was developed. For a long time, for practical purposes our color selection for travel bags in ballistic nylon amounted to Black, Steel, and Crimson. It took a long time and effort to custom develop the other colors of Ballistic Nylon with consistent quality and uniformity in the fabric color given the difficult dyeability of the material. So they used some of these occasions to showcase both their "Made in USA" commitment as well as introduce new fabrics and product concepts (like the pocket Pouch) in a way that would reach out to many of their customers.

HTH moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 08-01-2014 at 11:50 PM.

@Moriond, thanks for detail history introduction. Really appreciate especially the reason behind this Limited Edition - not just simply to sell.

The color of the Pocket Pouch is simply irresistible. We could have a Limited Design on 2015, since the first is 2011 then 2013 - odd number.
    Sent from 41Lumia via TPTalk
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0