Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Nordic Pilot, a Perfect Fit!

Nordic Pilot, a Perfect Fit!

It was a case of love at first sight for me with the Synapse 19, which has been my go-to, favorite EDC since I discovered Tom Bihn. I welcomed the release of the Pilot, seeing it as an alternative bag for work, but only for days when I have to be a little more formal.

As soon as it was available, I got the Black/Wasabi Pilot. But it was not love at first sight... or second sight with a Black Dyneema/Wasabi one. I didn't swoon. It was boxy. Not graceful as my beautiful Imago, which I love, but which lacks the organization that makes the Synapse my go-to bag. Both Pilots went back to Seattle. (Thank goodness for TB's customer service and generous return policy! And that I live on the West Coast!)

Then I was bitten by the Nordic/Solar bug and thought... Hmm... let's give the Pilot a third try. If not for a work bag, then for a compact camera bag. When the Nordic/Solar Pilot arrived, I swooned. But it was more because of the color combination than the Pilot, itself. Until today.

Name:  P1010656.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  221.7 KB

I was putting on a boring, conservative black suit (but with a blue shirt!) this morning and thought of Yoda Sloth's comment in the Pilot thread about carrying the Nordic Pilot to a formal meeting and that the color really "popped" against a black suit. So inspired, I decided to take the Nordic Pilot out for the day.

Everything I carry daily in my S19 fits perfectly in the Pilot, with a bit of room to spare. Side Effect (my purse) in left front pocket. Umbrella in middle front pocket (it actually rained today in California!). Keys, pen, Nordic Dyneema Organizer Wallet holding business cards, small Padded Pouch holding iPod and earbuds, and iPhone in the right front pocket. And in the main compartment: iPad Air in Cache attached to rails; UV Dyneema 3D Fabric Organizer Cube with my compact camera and various cleaning cloths/wipes; medium Wasabi Dyneema Clear Organizer Pouch for misc documents; size 4 Aubergine Knitting Tool Pouch storing my Verizon Jetpack mobile hotspot; and water bottle. (BTW I don't knit but LOVE the size 4 Knitting Tool Pouches and have found so many uses for them!)

My packed Pilot had a wonderful fit and balance... and was perfectly organized! It also made me realize just how much "unused capacity" I had in the Synapse 19. The Absolute Shoulder Strap made for a comfortable cross-body or one-shoulder carry. And the Nordic is gorgeous to boot!

And when I got to my office, I realized that the Nordic Pilot fits perfectly there. It's simply meant to be...

Name:  P1010679.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  325.5 KB

Name:  P1010655.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  391.5 KB

I have a business trip tomorrow involving air travel. I'm taking the Nordic Pilot. (Side note to moriond: this might make returning the parapack Navy/Solar S19 a bit easier.)

And, yes, my desk is that tidy most of the time because I am a neat freak :)
    Last edited by taminca; 02-26-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I also have that Pilot. It is indeed lovely. I can't wait for coats with hoods to be done for a bit so I can enjoy cross body carry bags again! Do you find that the back pocket sags open? Mine seems too, and I don't feel like I can use it for storage due to that. Any ideas?
    taminca likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    (it actually rained today in California!).
    Best thing I heard all day! Glad you love your Pilot. I really love mine. Wait, is that a ball chair?
    taminca likes this.
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray, 3D Organizer Cube

Thank you so much for pointing out the capacity match with the Synapse 19.

I am also glad that Nordic is suit compatible, I found out the same thing about Steel Dyneema.

Dear Crew, please make a Nordic/UV Pilot!

The Pilot also fits perfectly upright under an airplane seat! Pic snapped on my iPhone this morning so sorry for bad quality. Am currently stuck at the airport since my flight home is delayed an hour... for now, anyway : (

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  162.7 KB
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    I also have that Pilot. It is indeed lovely. I can't wait for coats with hoods to be done for a bit so I can enjoy cross body carry bags again! Do you find that the back pocket sags open? Mine seems too, and I don't feel like I can use it for storage due to that. Any ideas?
    Yes, it does sag open! I used it today to hold my rain jacket (which was not needed in sunny Southern California) and found the storage very nice to have. Other than that, I expect I will use it for other temporary storage like newspaper, documents, etc... Nothing that I would cry over if lost! I thought about putting a medium or large Clear Organizer Pouch there for holding documents but there is no way to clip it to the bag for safety.

Edited to add: also, as in the photo above of the Pilot underneath the plane seat, I tucked the Absolute strap into that back pocket so that it is not in touch with the floor of the plane.
    Last edited by taminca; 02-27-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaL View Post
    Best thing I heard all day! Glad you love your Pilot. I really love mine. Wait, is that a ball chair?
    MelissaL, it is a large exercise ball and I do use it as a chair, but it's not one of those very expensive ball chairs : ). I love it and it is so much better for my lower back than a chair!
    Last edited by taminca; 02-27-2014 at 08:28 PM.
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Thank you so much for pointing out the capacity match with the Synapse 19.

I am also glad that Nordic is suit compatible, I found out the same thing about Steel Dyneema.
    I did not realize how much "bag" I was carrying around with the S19. The Pilot seems/feels much more compact. However, as I was dashing thru the airport this morning, I did momentarily miss the S19 on my back (vs the Pilot in a cross-body carry). I think the S19 would still be my go-to bag if I knew there would be a lot of walking or dashing during a trip.

And, yup, the Nordic is definitely suit compatible!
    -- David Whyte

Taminca, I love the idea of tucking the strap in the outer back pocket when placing it on the floor somewhere. I think you just made me like that floppy pocket-thanks!!

Thumbs up

Name:  overview1.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  195.9 KB

This is my Nordic Pilot with my office EDC - from a 'whats in my bag' blog post I did a while back. Since then, the Pilot has acquired red zip pulls (thanks guys!)

Old black macbook (2007 vintage) in the 6Z cache with rails;
    A5 filofax and lots of pens;
    glasses, reading glasses, sunglasses in various cases;
    3D clear cube with macbook power brick, iPhone charging cable, RSA token, 3G dongle, earplugs etc;
    painkillers and migraine pills;
    metal cardcase with spare contact lenses in it;
    water bottle;
    hand moisturiser;
    and bottom right hand corner: a few decent quality tea bags so I can have a cup of something which tastes reasonable at the office! (the water and tea there are both dreadful and together result in a liquid not altogether unlike dishwater!)

It's a perfect fit - there's even room for a book next to the filofax if I need one, and some paperwork...

I also used to have the S19 as my EDC - still do for some things (like Yoga kit) but those happen at times which are not the same times I'm visiting the office... the Pilot saves me having to unpack and repack. It's got an absolute strap on it at the moment, and I tend to agree that it's not as comfortable as wearing the S19, but it's so much more compact and better suited to what it's actually carrying that I can live with it. One could almost do with a special version of the Q-AM strap for the Pilot - I can see myself fiddling with the strap to allow a more messenger-y carry mode cross-body, with the strap pad centred on my shoulder.
    A45 crim/stl TS navy/solr A30 aub/wsbi S19 nrdc/stl P nrdc/solr CP blk/stl; SE wsbi CQPC ibrn, solr Ri aub/stl 3DCC card TSS4 wsbi K card TT solr,nrdc,blk CC card/stl PCBP solr PP navy QK frst,cyte,aub + loadsa cubes!

Inspired by PaulT00's photo... Synapse 19, you will always be my first TB love, but I do believe the Pilot has become my new EDC.

Name:  P1010697.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  113.0 KB

Clockwise from bottom, starting with the Nordic/Solar Pilot with Absolute Shoulder Strap:

- Water bottle in middle front compartment
    - Wet wipes and parapack Navy/Solar Side Effect (my purse) in left front compartment
    - In the SE are Aubergine Clear Organizer Wallet and 3 Organizer Pouches for personal stuff (IDs, credit cards, cash, coins, meds, etc...)
    - Strapped in to left inner pocket of main compartment is size 4 Aubergine Knitting Tool Pouch with Verizon Jetpack
    - iPad Air in Cache and on rails in main compartment
    - Medium Wasabi Clear Organizer Pouch for documents, also in main compartment
    - UV Dyneema 3D Organizer Pouch for camera (not pictured because it's being used to take the photo :) and cleaning cloths, in right inner pocket of main compartment
    - Fisher Space Pen in pen slot of front right compartment
    - Keys with Nordic 16-inch strap in front right compartment
    - Nordic Clear Organizer Wallet for business cards, strapped in front right compartment
    - Bose earbuds and iPod in Small Padded Organizer Pouch, strapped in front right compartment
    (Not pictured is iPhone, which is being charged, usually stored in phone slot of front right compartment.)

All in the Pilot, with room to spare. Hmm... you know, this might all fit in the Co-Pilot. And the Nordic/Solar Co-Pilot is on backorder... Oh no! *Run away to hide my credit card.*
    -- David Whyte

No, your SE will take up too much room in the CoPilot. You did the right thing. I have both bags and the Pilot is the better deal size-wise for all your stff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    No, your SE will take up too much room in the CoPilot. You did the right thing. I have both bags and the Pilot is the better deal size-wise for all your stff.
    Thanks, monkeylady. Good to know. This must mean that your new Steel/UV Pilot has arrived. Congrats!
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    @PaulT00 @taminca Beautiful displays of your Pilot contents. Love the way that you have each detailed the contents of your Pilot (which is usually the next question when this information is left out). And the different organizer pouches look great in Taminca's picture. Are both of you happy that you chose the 400d Dyneema fabric? (I don't mean whether you're happy with the Nordic color combination, but whether, for you usage profile, you like the weight of this material as opposed to Ballistic Nylon. This is coming from another user who opted for the 400d fabric in her first Pilot.)

Anyway, great pictures, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Are both of you happy that you chose the 400d Dyneema fabric? (I don't mean whether you're happy with the Nordic color combination, but whether, for you usage profile, you like the weight of this material as opposed to Ballistic Nylon. This is coming from another user who opted for the 400d fabric in her first Pilot.)
    Without a doubt, it is a YES for me. I have TB bags in Ballistic Nylon, 400d Dyneema and Parapack fabrics. In Dyneema, Nordic is my favorite, but I also have Steel and Black, and what sold me on the fabric is its lightness, squishiness, and almost magical ability to not attract and to shed dust, dirt, lint, hair etc. I actually MUCH prefer the solid colors of the other fabrics over the white-squared pattern of Dyneema (yes, even Nordic), but the Dyneema characteristics outweigh the look factor for me.

When Parapack was introduced, I thought maybe it was the ideal fabric with the characteristics of Dyneema in solid colors. And I do like Parapack very much, but it is not offered for many of the travel bags and, with apologies to TB, the colors offered are...um...bland. Also, it does attract dirt, lint, etc. just a bit more than Dyneema. Yes, you can brush them off, but I noticed them more on Parapack. Plus, as others have noted, it feels and looks smooth/sheeny and I prefer Dyneema's non-sheen and texture. However, if Parapack were to be offered in Aubergine or Indigo (sigh), all bets would be off!

For the Aeronaut and Pilot, I ordered each of them in both Nylon and Dyneema versions, and kept Dyneema for the factors already listed. To round off, my Western Flyer is Ballistic Nylon because Dyneema wasn't available and I just HAD to have one travel bag in Aubergine!
    -- David Whyte

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0