• 2 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By tCook
  • 1 Post By Jeff A
  • 1 Post By Historymeg
  • 1 Post By ykang2375
  • 5 Post By Historymeg

Thread: Tri-Star, I'm loving your work.

Tri-Star, I'm loving your work.

My first Tom Bihn order, a Steel/UVTri-Star, Nordic/Solar SE, UV PCBP & Iberian TT, just arrived!!! (Pics below).

So first thing I did was do a (haphazard) test pack for the upcoming weekend away. Using the PCBP and an older LL Bean cube (that turned out to be the perfect size) threw in more than I would take with me and was soooo impressed at how it just swallowed it up and still looked compact.

Lovely workmanship (as has been noted many times before), really liked how the bag manages to be rugged/professional/light all at once.

Also have to say was absolutely charmed by the Nordic of the SE. Now trying to justify to myself whether or not I can add Nordic Co-Pilot to "family"

Looking forward to putting them all through their paces properly.

Name:  TB Group i.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  140.8 KB Name:  Tri-Star 1.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  145.1 KBName:  TriStar 2.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  135.8 KB

Nice haul! I have the exact same Tri-Star heading out of Seattle as we speak :)
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Well ... you know I'll take you to the store in June ... make a list! Love the pics - excellent range of colors!

That's the Tri-Star I want, very cool :) This isn't helping, haha!
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Jeff, I don't think the forum is designed for that kind of "helping" (quite the opposite in fact!!) :-)
    taminca likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Historymeg View Post
    My first Tom Bihn order, a Steel/UVTri-Star, Nordic/Solar SE, UV PCBP & Iberian TT, just arrived!!! (Pics below).

So first thing I did was do a (haphazard) test pack for the upcoming weekend away. Using the PCBP and an older LL Bean cube (that turned out to be the perfect size) threw in more than I would take with me and was soooo impressed at how it just swallowed it up and still looked compact.

Lovely workmanship (as has been noted many times before), really liked how the bag manages to be rugged/professional/light all at once.

Also have to say was absolutely charmed by the Nordic of the SE. Now trying to justify to myself whether or not I can add Nordic Co-Pilot to "family"

Looking forward to putting them all through their paces properly.

Name:  TB Group i.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  140.8 KB Name:  Tri-Star 1.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  145.1 KBName:  TriStar 2.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  135.8 KB
    Hey Historymeg,

Nice Tri-Star, I have the same one with the Iberian (red) interior. I'm sure it will meet and probably exceed your expectations. The Packing Cube backpack is great as packing cube and as a day pack. No other packing cubes? In addition to the PCBP, I also order the small and medium packing cubes for the front compartment and a large packing cube for the back compartment. I found the additional packing cubes really helped keep everything organized and eliminate unsightly bulge. Just a friendly suggestion. Enjoy your new Tri-Star!!
    Darcy likes this.

Hi Ykang,
    Ooh I bet Steel and Iberian is also nice (thinking about that combo for an MCB). I actually already own some other small & medium cubes from other brands in the US & Australia. So at this point I decided to experiment a bit with them even if they're not quite tailor made. But I wholeheartedly agree that they're just the thing for keeping everything organised and appreciate the suggestion! Happy Travels!!
    Nordic/Solar Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Tri-Star, Nordic/Solar Side Effect, Plum3-D Organizer

Quote Originally Posted by Historymeg View Post
    Hi Ykang,
    Ooh I bet Steel and Iberian is also nice (thinking about that combo for an MCB). I actually already own some other small & medium cubes from other brands in the US & Australia. So at this point I decided to experiment a bit with them even if they're not quite tailor made. But I wholeheartedly agree that they're just the thing for keeping everything organised and appreciate the suggestion! Happy Travels!!
    No problem Historymeg, happy to help. The Steel/Iberian is a great combination, although I wish that TB would offer it in Steel/Solar. I know it was available in the past, oh well. I'm extremely pleased with my Tri-Star and I'm sure you will get many years of use out of it. :-)

A stupid question, if I may: is that Packing Cube Backpack specifically sized for the Tri-Star?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    … is that Packing Cube Backpack specifically sized for the Tri-Star?
    The Packing Cube BackPack (Tri-Star/Western Flyer) is sized for the back compartments of both the Tri-Star and the Western Flyer. That means its cross-section is about the same as the 18" Eagle Creek Pack-It Folders. Lani had some general comments on the packing cube backpacks (both the Aeronaut and the Tri-Star/Western Flyer versions) in the Size of Empty Packing Cubes? thread, where backpack also gave some pointers on which other TB bags (specifically, the Brain Bag) can fit these packing cubes.

Tri-star and Side Effect in action at "Chillout" Weekend in Daylesford Victoria Australia.
    Name:  photo (11).jpg
Views: 404
Size:  884.1 KB
    Nordic/Solar Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Tri-Star, Nordic/Solar Side Effect, Plum3-D Organizer

This may be a dumb question but what functions do these flaps serve? Tucking in/securing the ends of clothes or packing cubes? Thanks!

Name:  Tri-Star_functionality.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  153.0 KB
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Those are reinforcement points for the backpack straps, if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0