Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree42Likes
  • 18 Post By Yoda Sloth
  • 1 Post By maverick
  • 13 Post By Yoda Sloth
  • 2 Post By Badger
  • 1 Post By Le_Pied
  • 4 Post By Yoda Sloth
  • 3 Post By backpack

Thread: Look what fits in my new Pilot!

Look what fits in my new Pilot!

(I debated whether this should go on the end of the Pilot thread or here, my apologies if I guessed wrong...)

It appears my children are becoming "bag connoisseurs" (addicts-in-training?), I went to the store today to get them each a bag for our Spring Break trip. While I was in the store, a Nordic/Solar Pilot decided to follow me home (along with a frightening number of other things - what's up with that??)

Since I know curiosity about Pilots is running rampant, and I feel privileged to live close enough to go the store regularly, I thought I would share a couple of photos about what fits in the bag. Since I have never had a co-pilot, I am not a terribly good packer (yet) of this style of bag, but it should give folks an idea... (apologies for the picture quality, its dark in Seattle at this points, so light is hard, and I am using my phone...)

First I did my normal (mostly) carry for work:

Here is everything that is inside (list at the bottom of the post)

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 833
Size:  185.3 KB

and how it was arranged -

Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 831
Size:  195.2 KB

Front left pocket has my kindle in the soft pocket (pocket is slightly bigger than my Kindle) and my Side Effect (PLO)

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 847
Size:  364.2 KB

Middle pocket has a can of soup (lunch) and a #1 stuff sack w/a million 3X5 cards in it

Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 837
Size:  295.7 KB

Right pocket has a #2 stuff sack with my power cord, and a bowl for my soup

Name:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 848
Size:  196.9 KB

Back has the heavy laptop, a plastic file folder to hold papers, snacks, kleenex and my sunglasses case (sticking up in the picture) were laying on top over the laptop when I zipped the bag.

(iPad is in the back slip pocket (not shown), as it gets added to my bag as I walk out the door in the mornings)

Here is what was inside:

Power cord in #2 stuff sack
    Side Effect (Black/wasabi) with wallet, mini pouch, forum gift pouch, small pouch, pen, stylus, earbuds
    iPad
    Kindle
    3X5 cards and wallet thing for them
    Soup
    Protein bar
    Kleenex
    Sunglasses in case
    Laptop
    Plastic folder for papers
    Soup bowl
    Stack of several hundred 3X5 cards w/2 pens in #1 stuff sack

It all fit, and wasn't too tight, but I probably wouldn't try to put much else in there. I think if I played around with it, I could probably figure out a better configuration of the stuff...

Since I can only do 5 photos, I will follow with another post showing an airplane trip packout w/o laptop.

Cheers!

Volunteer Moderator
    awesome pictures! i love the shot with the amy's lentil soup! :)
    -m

Here is what I would carry if I were going on a plane and not carrying my laptop in this bag:

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 833
Size:  167.8 KB

A couple of points of interest:

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 815
Size:  181.1 KB

Yes, the packing cube shoulder bag fits vertically in the main compartment (its on the left in the photo)

Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 828
Size:  327.0 KB

That is an 8.5X5.5 spiral notebook easily fitting in one of the front side pockets.

Here is what was inside:
    (where contents were the same as the post above, I didn't pull them out for the picture, or describe them here)

Side Effect (same) (front right)
    #1 Stuff sack (same) (main)
    #3 Stuff sack (same) (main)

Vapur Water bottle - empty and rolled up (in the middle pocket)
    Umbrella - travel sized (in the middle pocket)
    Notecards (front left)
    Glasses Case (in one of the pockets in the main compartment)
    Sunglasses Case (in same pocket with glasses case)
    Small bag in a bag (main)
    Spiral notebook (front left)
    Pouch with pens/pencils etc (front left)

Everything else was in the PCSB (which comes out on the plane and is clipped to the seat pocket in front of me)
    iPad
    Kindle
    Kleenex
    Almonds
    2 protein bars
    Gum
    iPod and bag
    Shure earbuds (haven't tried them yet, they arrived by mail today - recommended by Badger)

If anyone has specific questions about what would fit, I am happy to give them a try!

Great photos! I'm nervous about how you like the earbuds. I took a flight two days ago and tried to be very cognizant of how they blocked out plane noise, since you had asked about that. It wasn't 100%, but the noise reduction was significant. They do a great job and are tiny. One hint: start using them ASAP so you know how to adjust them and what constitutes a good fit. You may need to try different flange sizes to achieve maximum noise reduction. Needless to say, be careful if you're walking around while wearing them--they block enough sound that you may not hear traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice photos. I was unsure about this color combination but now that I see your photos, I think I would have been upset if I had chosen any other combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    ...It wasn't 100%, but the noise reduction was significant. They do a great job and are tiny. One hint: start using them ASAP so you know how to adjust them and what constitutes a good fit. You may need to try different flange sizes to achieve maximum noise reduction. Needless to say, be careful if you're walking around while wearing them--they block enough sound that you may not hear traffic.
    (Sorry if I missed the thread on this) I would refer to the Shures as in-ear monitors, and ear buds as the type that hang in your ear. Regardless, I think they are 1,000% better for travel than over-the-ear noise canceling cans (for me, at least, ymmv). I hope you enjoy them.
    As Badger says, you must get used to wearing them now to be comfortable with them when you travel. Not only do you want to practice getting a good fit, but your ears will need to get used to having them in there. Try different tip shape, sizes, and materials.
    For safety's sake, be conscious of when to wear them, and not. I always carry a set of regular ear buds to use when I need to hear background noise (walking down the street, on the train, waiting at the gate, etc.). The in-ears are for when you know you don't need to hear anything around you (mid-flight, relaxing after dinner, etc.) Cruising around the airport hearing nothing but your own soundtrack is pretty cool, too. Just watch out for the electric carts!
    Most importantly, don't forget to wash those tips! (or simply replace them)
    > SIQUID WESTERN FLYER NON CAPIT, DOMI RELINQUENDUM EST.

Western Flyer (ballistic backpack), MCB (parapack/dyneema), Pilot (ballistic), Cache (6Z), Travel Tray, Packing Cube (WF large), Pouches (clear, dyneema, cork, padded, large, small, medium, mini, nano), Pocket Pouch, Absolute Strap (curved), Tri-Power Whistle, a bunch of Key Straps (8" and 16")

@ Badger - don't worry - I did other checking on them - so not only relying on your recommendation - I won't hold you responsible... I am flying next week so I will try them out then to see about noise reduction. Seems like they have to be better than carrying my old huge noise cancelling ones (which inevitably also hurt by head).

@Le_Pied and Badger - thanks for the advice - I will practice with them early (in fact, I stared at them a long time last night trying to figure out how it might be possible to get them in and over the ear - although - admittedly, I was pretty tired) Wore them for any hour last night - initial impressions are good.

@WMW40 - as I said on the main Pilot thread when Darcy posted pictures - I don't usually like blue or yellow - but something about the bag was just beautiful to me. As soon as I left the store though I was thinking - "maybe I should have waited for black dyneema/wasabi to be done, its more suitable for business carry..." I had it spread out in my office last night with a black dyneema shop bag next to it (with wasabi dyneema travel tray peeking out below) to see how I felt about the colors and I realized I seemed to prefer the Nordic by a lot.... (while hoping no one would drop by my office and wonder why I had bags spread all over surfaces in my line of sight as I worked... )

As I was looking at it, I was reminded of a quote I read recently in the forum archives (which I had to go dig out this morning)... Back in 2011 when MisterN was contemplating whether he liked his new red bags, Dorayme:

"You should love your bags though, color and all. They should make you swoon."

While other colors might be more practical, the Nordic/Solor seems to meet the "swoon" criteria for me :)

Speaking of swooning, please, please, please make a Nordic/UV Pilot!

Nice pictures. I'm happy to see the PCSB fits in the Pilot. I'm usually torn between the Nordic and Black dyneemq too.

Which one do you pick more often? Are you happier with one or the other?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0