Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: First Trip with Western Flyer

First Trip with Western Flyer

I love my Aeronaut but it's too much for a short trip, so I recently gave in to my craving and got a Western Flyer. I was hoping for some new WF fabric/color offerings but just could not hold off any longer. The Aubergine/Steel WF arrived in time for my short 3-day business trip this week. Just got home and want to share some photos (taken before I unpacked) and impressions.

First, photos...starting with the WF still packed with stuff after my trip. It was my only bag and I was very grateful since the flight back was completely full. I boarded late and had to squeeze into a middle seat but the WF slipped easily under the seat before me. Very nice. Could have been my imagination, but I felt a few envious glances casted at the WF : )

Name:  WF1.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  42.4 KB

I got the rolling handle version of the WF and used the large left back pocket for a file folder with receipts and the few documents I picked up during my trip (I try to be paperless as much as possible). In the right smaller pocket, I slipped my iPhone for easy access. Once boarded, I slip my iPhone into my jacket's pocket before sliding the WF under the seat before me.

Name:  WF2.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  29.0 KB

In the large back compartment is an Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Packing Folder 18 with all my clothes (except for the outfit and coat that I was wearing). This includes my PJs, one slack, 2 Icebreaker wool long-sleeved shirts, 1 light jacket, 1 corduroy long-sleeve shirt, socks and underthings. By the way, notice the non-TB luggage tag? I'm still waiting to purchase some TB tags (hint!).

Name:  WF4.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  48.5 KB

In the front, divided compartment, I stored on the left a Clear Quarter Packing Cube with non-fluid toiletries on one side and, on the other side, a night light and various cords to recharge my electronics. On top of the CQPC is a 3D Clear Organizer Cube with fluids, attached to an o-ring with a 16-inch key strap. Using the strap, I pulled out the 3DCOC and placed on top of the WF when going through Airport Security. I squeezed in an apple left over from lunch in case I needed a snack during the flight. In the right compartment, I placed my iPad Air in Cork sleeve, a water bottle, and a Side Effect that served as my purse and contained 2 Clear Organizer Wallets (one for credit cards and IDs, and one for business cards and trip receipts), and various Organizer Pouches to store money, coins, cosmetics, medication and cough drops.

Name:  WF5.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  55.5 KB

In the front of the WF, I put in the lower left pocket my keys (attached to a key chain, of course) and various wet wipes and cleaning cloths. In the top left pocket, I attach to the o-ring using a Utility Strap, a neoprene case containing my sunglasses (I wish TB would make a glasses case!), a small Clear Organizer Pouch with a cleaning cloth and Bluetooth phone earpiece, and my most cherished small Cork Organizer Pouch with a Verizon Hotspot device. In the right front pocket is a small Padded Organizer Pouch with my iPod and noise canceling earbuds.

Name:  WF6.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  55.6 KB

And the BEST thing about my new Western Flyer? I scored one with the old "Portable Culture" slogan on the label! I tried to post a photo of the label but have exceeded my 5-photo limit.

Now, impressions... Gorgeous as would be expected from a TB bag. Aubergine is one of my favorite TB colors... if only the Aubergine/Wasabi combo was offered (sigh). The Absolute Shoulder Strap is a must since I do not have the backpack straps. Fully packed, the WF was slightly heavy but not uncomfortable to carry and I did not regret not getting the backpack straps. The main reason I did not is that I will most likely use this WF for business trips and do not envision using the backpack straps. The two (3 if you use the front dividers) compartments and pockets (front and back) are well designed and I was able to put them all to good use. I could have easily packed more into the WF, but think any more and I would really want the backpack version. In all, I'm very happy with this purchase and look forward to toting it around on all future business or other short-term trips.

My only regret, which has nothing to do with the Western Flyer, was that I left my Travel Tray at home and packed what I usually have in there into one side of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube. I had forgotten that the TT does double duty in my hotel room to store my keys, earrings, and other knick knacks that I usually have on me. So I had those things just spread out on one of the cabinets and really, really missed the TT. It's amazing how quickly I got used to having one with me on travels and will definitely bring it next time. Hmm... maybe I need to get a second tray for the Western Flyer : )
    Last edited by taminca; 01-30-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Thanks for the review. Early last month I had my first trip with my new Nordic Western Flyer. I did not think that I would use my backpack straps on that trip but they came in handy as I took public transportation from airport to hotel with 3 bus changes and a longer walk from bus stop to hotel. But I agree that with the absolute strap, it is also comfortable to carry.

Sue
    Synapse 19, Co-pilot, Travel Tray, PCSB, Western Flyer, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    ...I boarded late and had to squeeze into a middle seat but the WF slipped easily under the seat before me. Very nice. Could have been my imagination, but I felt a few envious glances casted at the WF : )
    Nope. That wasn't your imagination. :-)
    > SIQUID WESTERN FLYER NON CAPIT, DOMI RELINQUENDUM EST.

Western Flyer (ballistic backpack), MCB (parapack/dyneema), Pilot (ballistic), Cache (6Z), Travel Tray, Packing Cube (WF large), Pouches (clear, dyneema, cork, padded, large, small, medium, mini, nano), Pocket Pouch, Absolute Strap (curved), Tri-Power Whistle, a bunch of Key Straps (8" and 16")

I am so envious (wipes drool from her chin). I was bidding on bchaplin's black/Iberian WF but someone out bid me with a nanosecond of it ending. I WILL get my WF one of these days! However, I will say that having your carry on under the seat in front of you is so much easier for boarding and disembarking. I can even put my Aeronaut under the seat if I don't stuff it to complete maximum bulging capacity. I will keep my fingers crossed for black/Iberian when TB starts another production run of the WF (hopefully before summer). Your photos are ever so loverly!
    Last edited by Melissa; 01-31-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    DESPERATELY SEEKING: Black/Iberian Western Flyer, AND Black/Iberian Citizen Canine
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Black/Iberian Aeronaut, Iberian PCBP, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Iberian Travel Stuff Sacks (all 4 sizes), Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    I WILL get my WF one of these days!
    I have NO doubt of that, Melissa. And I predict you'll love it : )

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    I will keep my fingers crossed for black/Iberian when TB starts another production run of the WF (hopefully before summer).
    Will keep my fingers crossed for your Black/Iberian. I was trying to wait for a WF in Forest/any color interior or Aubergine/Wasabi but, after traveling with the Aeronaut, I just could not deal with lugging around a 10-yr old wheeled Eagle Creek Load Warrior 22.
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by Canonsue View Post
    Thanks for the review. Early last month I had my first trip with my new Nordic Western Flyer. I did not think that I would use my backpack straps on that trip but they came in handy as I took public transportation from airport to hotel with 3 bus changes and a longer walk from bus stop to hotel. But I agree that with the absolute strap, it is also comfortable to carry.
    Sue, thanks for that feedback from your experience. I did not have to deal with public transportation or long walks like you did. I think that if I had, I would also want the backpack straps. Hmm... guess I'd better start saving up for a WF with backpack straps one of these days... months and months down the road...
    -- David Whyte

I want a wetern flyer with luggage strap, but in dyneema! When can we expect dyneema again?

Volunteer Moderator
    These were great photos -- the Aubergine is really beautiful, and I was able to zoom up the images for a view of the "Portable Culture" logo. By the way, I think the 5 photos per post limit stems from the default vBulletin forum settings that have been around for a long time. If you view old posts, you'll find that people who want to add more pictures just put them into an additional post. i don't know whether this is a setting that can easily be customized in the forum software.

I also like to use the Eagle Creek Specter 2 Pack-It Cubes and Folders with my Tom Bihn bags (similar to you, Lani, Ms. ferret, and other forum members), although most of my items are white rather than Strobe Green. It's probably worth noting that people will have an easier time fitting the 18" Eagle Creek folder into the Western Flyer if they are using the Specter 2 version that you show here rather than the older style Eagle Creek 18" folders. See the Western Flyer and Eagle Creek Pack-It Folder thread for details and some pictures of how the older style 18" folders tend to slightly overfill the compartment of the Western Flyer. This isn't an issue for the slightly larger compartment of the Tri-Star.

I'd be interested in seeing what new material/color combinations the WF will be released in, and whether they will offer the rolling luggage handle version in 400d Dyneema. Also, I imagine that the back compartment might also get refitted for the Cache with rails.

I would love to see a WF with backpack straps AND a small sleeve for using with rolled luggage. Would love the flexibility! That Aubergine bag is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    I would love to see a WF with backpack straps AND a small sleeve for using with rolled luggage. Would love the flexibility! That Aubergine bag is stunning.
    A WF with backpack straps AND rolling luggage sleeve AND in Parapack! And since I am fantasizing...Aubergine Parapack : )
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    If you view old posts, you'll find that people who want to add more pictures just put them into an additional post.
    Cool! So here is the "Portable Culture" label, classic and gorgeous on a background of Aubergine!

Name:  WF7.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  68.0 KB

I also like to use the Eagle Creek Specter 2 Pack-It Cubes and Folders with my Tom Bihn bags (similar to you, Lani, Ms. ferret, and other forum members), although most of my items are white rather than Strobe Green. It's probably worth noting that people will have an easier time fitting the 18" Eagle Creek folder into the Western Flyer if they are using the Specter 2 version that you show here rather than the older style Eagle Creek 18" folders.
    I have the older style as well and it definitely does not fit well. The Specter 2 version, however, fits perfectly.

Name:  WF3.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  37.6 KB
    -- David Whyte

Such great pics, taminca!

I have been eyeing exactly this same item for some time...aubergine rolling handle WF. Your fabulous photos sent me over the edge. *sigh* It should arrive on Thursday :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    Such great pics, taminca!

I have been eyeing exactly this same item for some time...aubergine rolling handle WF. Your fabulous photos sent me over the edge. *sigh* It should arrive on Thursday :)
    Congrats, Tlacltme! Aubergine is absolutely gorgeous.
    -- David Whyte

It's probably worth noting that people will have an easier time fitting the 18" Eagle Creek folder into the Western Flyer if they are using the Specter 2 version that you show here rather than the older style Eagle Creek 18" folders. See the Western Flyer and Eagle Creek Pack-It Folder thread for details and some pictures of how the older style 18" folders tend to slightly overfill the compartment of the Western Flyer..
    I have been eyeing the Eagle Creek packing folders, but I always use my PCBP in my WF. Do you know if the 18" folder works for that bag as well? I'm assuming it does, but a lack of certainty has prevented me from purchasing it. I have also considered the 15, as I don't travel with business attire.

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    I have been eyeing the Eagle Creek packing folders, but I always use my PCBP in my WF. Do you know if the 18" folder works for that bag as well? I'm assuming it does, but a lack of certainty has prevented me from purchasing it. I have also considered the 15, as I don't travel with business attire.
    Mausermama, the last photo I posted was with the 18" Eagle Creek Specter 2 packing folder. It fits perfectly. Just make sure you get that model/version, which also has the benefit of being very lightweight.
    -- David Whyte

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0