Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: First Trip with Western Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    I would love to see a WF with backpack straps AND a small sleeve for using with rolled luggage. Would love the flexibility! That Aubergine bag is stunning.
    The only thing keeping me from jumping on a WF right now is having to choose between backpack mode and the option to use with rolling luggage!

Did I read things right? You carried an iPhone, iPod, iPad Air and a MyFi portable hotspot device? Wow.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Did I read things right? You carried an iPhone, iPod, iPad Air and a MyFi portable hotspot device? Wow.
    Um... yes, I do. Every weekday. On weekends, unless I am traveling, it's just the iPhone.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quit being so organized you are making the rest of us look bad! :p great review and pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    Quit being so organized you are making the rest of us look bad! :p great review and pictures!
    Can't help it -- which is probably why I am so addicted to TB bags, pouches and cubes (in addition to simple appreciation for their beauty and workmanship)!
    -- David Whyte

Very nicely done, you are an inspiration! I awaiting a new Tristar in black and Solar, I am wondering how I will do with downsizing for shorter trips from my beautiful Cardinal Aeronaut!
    taminca likes this.

I'm very envious of the Aubergine WF with Portable Culture badge - but I really wanted one with backpack straps as I'm unlikely to be using it with rolling luggage, hence mine is black/wasabi. Perhaps there will be more aubergine bags (with wasabi, hint, hint!) in the autumn, once the current production issues have been sorted out...
    taminca likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Nooooooo!
    Why was this thread with such awesome pics resurrected?!
    I don't NEED a Western Flyer, but now I WANT one! >.<"
    I don't have one of TB's travel bags.... yet, been doing work trips with a Founder's Briefcase and Synapse 19.
    Not so sure about carrying it all in one bag on my back.
    This is the 1st time I've seen the back of a rolling luggage WF though, and I have to say the 2 pockets looks very handy to have.
    taminca likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniegill View Post
    Very nicely done, you are an inspiration! I awaiting a new Tristar in black and Solar, I am wondering how I will do with downsizing for shorter trips from my beautiful Cardinal Aeronaut!
    Thanks, @Anniegill, and congrats on your TS. The TS is wonderful! I have been using it more often than my WF because I can pack an extra pair of shoes for my daily run and workout. It is often too large, though, for my short trips, so I am among the eager Bihnions awaiting the Aeronaut 30 :)
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I'm very envious of the Aubergine WF with Portable Culture badge - but I really wanted one with backpack straps as I'm unlikely to be using it with rolling luggage, hence mine is black/wasabi. Perhaps there will be more aubergine bags (with wasabi, hint, hint!) in the autumn, once the current production issues have been sorted out...
    That Portable Culture badge was such an awesome surprise for me, @scribe. Of course, I emailed TB right away to ask if they had other bags in stock with that badge -- and was quite ready to sacrifice my entertainment, food, etc. budget that month to get them -- but alas that might have been the last one.

And I do not have any rolling luggage (any longer) but still ordered this version of the WF because I don't anticipate needing the backpack straps (and haven't so far). I like having the back 2 pockets for additional misc storage.
    -- David Whyte

Good point about the pockets vs straps! At the time, I was anticipating only having one TB travel bag (yeah, right!), so I wanted it to be as versatile as possible. Of course now I've ordered a Smart Alec, so backpack straps on the WF are less of a priority.

Well, we'll see what colours the WF is made in later this year. I really, really can't afford to replace mine on a whim!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I've checking out the WF's pics, wondering about a couple of things.

For the backpack version: the straps can be tucked away inside the pocket, but when needed, do they just get pulled out and can be ready to use right away? Or do they have to be installed after being pulled out?

For the rolling luggage version: if I choose to place it over rolling luggage, wouldn't the side with the smaller back pocket be jutting out? Would it cause any imbalance?

icebeng, you just need to pull out the straps and clip the bottoms into "buckles" at the bottom of the bag. I usually stow the straps before I put the WF in the overhead bin. Re-strapping is easy enough that I've done it while walking down the aisle while exiting the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Thanks, @Anniegill, and congrats on your TS. The TS is wonderful! I have been using it more often than my WF because I can pack an extra pair of shoes for my daily run and workout. It is often too large, though, for my short trips, so I am among the eager Bihnions awaiting the Aeronaut 30 :)
    I love your pics and got a couple of ideas from them thankx. I usually fill my Aeronaut up, so maybe I will just full the Tristar the same way? I am guilty of filling the spaces, as are a lot of us. I did do one over nighter on a business trip with just my Pilot...I was so proud of myself! It took some time for me to get used to the smaller size of the Aeronaut, moving from a 24" wheelie. So it can be done. My problem is that I think of too many "what-if" scenarios!
    PS I know u will love the A30!!
    taminca likes this.

Excellent review and photos! The WF sounds like a perfect choice for your travels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0