Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: My new Navy/Solar Aeronaut Arrived!

My new Navy/Solar Aeronaut Arrived!

So excited to get my new bag. I have a 10 day work trip to NYC and 12 day vacation to Germany in the next few months so I needed something bigger than my TriStar.

I decided to take the jump into Navy/Solar after getting my Steel/UV TriStar, Synapse 25, and CoPilot and I love the color! As a Notre Dame alum, I'll call it my ND bag.

First impressions, aside from the obvious high quality, is that this bag is big, but not so big that it will need to be checked.

Wow! I have not been crazy about the navy/solar combo, but your first photo just made me a fan! And since I am a UC Berkeley alum... I think I hear my new Cal navy/solar Synapse calling...
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Awesome bag! Can you take a pic of the Aeronaut and Tri-Start next to your Synapse 25 for size comparison? I have an S25 and can't decide between the Aeronaut vs the Tri-Star. Thanks!
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Would love to see more photos of it, especially if you can show it in daylight where the Aeronaut would be even better-lit.

I am consistently amazed by some of Bihn's color coordinations, especially Navy/Solar and Steel/Ultraviolet or Forest/Ultraviolet.

What is the exterior fabric of your Aeronaut? Is it still 1050d ballistic or is it parapack?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Here you go:

The exterior is the ballistic fabric.

The Aeronaut is only available in 1050d ballistic and 400d Dyneema.

Jeff, I have a 25, Tri-Star, and Aeronaut and will try to take pics tomorrow for comparison's sake unless Brad beats me to it.

ETA: he beat me to it. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the pics! My 15" Cache would fit perfectly in the middle section of the Tri-Star but I think for personal travel for a week's vacation the Aeronaut might suit me a bit better. Bet I could pack a lot of stuff in an Aeronaut and a S25, along with our two Co-Pilots. What do you think?
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

I have an exercise I'd like to propose to owners of the Aeronaut and Synapse 19 (or 25, inf necessary): I'd like to see an Aeronaut packed with clothes, toiletries, and all the necessities for a week personal trip (or a few days' business trip), but with an empty (or mostly empty) Synapse stuffed somewhere inside to be taken along as an EDC while at the destination. I've heard that the Synapse (especially the 25) will not fit, but I want to see what would happen if one explores the possible (especially with the S19).
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

JeffA--My reasoning for getting the Aeronaut was specifically for longer trips, which usually end up being personal. My TriStar has worked well for me for business trips up to a week. I use the center section of the TriStar for my laptop and the two sides for clothes. I also take along my CoPilot.

For my Germany trip, which is purely personal, I'm certain I can pack enough for the 12 days. I will bring along an extra bag but that is still TBD. I want to bring my DLSR and am trying to decide if my EDC should be my CoPilot or a light backpack.
    Jeff A likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    I have an exercise I'd like to propose to owners of the Aeronaut and Synapse 19 (or 25, inf necessary): I'd like to see an Aeronaut packed with clothes, toiletries, and all the necessities for a week personal trip (or a few days' business trip), but with an empty (or mostly empty) Synapse stuffed somewhere inside to be taken along as an EDC while at the destination. I've heard that the Synapse (especially the 25) will not fit, but I want to see what would happen if one explores the possible (especially with the S19).
    I haven't actually done it but I am quite certain I could do a business trip of several days with my dyneema S19 in the bag. I took a photo for another forum query a while back, showing the S19 in the bottom of the aeronaut main compartment and it fitted with no problem and packed almost flat and very thin. Careful choices of what to pack re clothing and I am sure it would be doable. I don't need to wear a suit for business however - if you do, then YMMV.
    A45 crm/stl TS nvy/sol A30 aub/was BB nvyP/stlP S19 nor/stl P nor/sol CP blk/stl; SE was CQPC ibrn, sol Ri aub/stl 3DCC crd TSS4 was K crd TT sol,nor,blk CC crd/stl PCBP sol PP nvy QK for,coy,aub + lotsa cubes!

The NYC trip went well. It was a difficult trip to pack for since I have 2 personal weekends with a full work week in the middle. It took some clever packing but I managed to get 2 pairs of shoes (dress and gym) and all of my clothes. I didn't have the Tom Bihn packing cubes but my eBags ones worked pretty well (especially the long skinny ones).

I'm certain for a 10 day pleasure trip, I could pack the Aeronaut with everything I need with room to spare for souvenirs.

Volunteer Moderator
    @bradnd99 Gotta say these were great comparison pictures of the Aeronaut in Navy/Solar, Tri-Star in Steel/Ultraviolet, and your Synapse 25. Different color schemes, but both great combinations. I notice that the end view of the Aeronaut and Tri-Star have labels sewn into the seam that proclaim:
    U.S. Made - 1050 Denier
    High Tenacity Nylon
    The Original Ballistic Fabric

Does anyone know when these started appearing?

MtnMan said:
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    I've heard that the Synapse (especially the 25) will not fit…
    Paul replied:
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    I took a photo for another forum query a while back, showing the S19 in the bottom of the aeronaut main compartment and it fitted with no problem and packed almost flat and very thin.
    Both the Synapse 19 and Synapse 25 will fit in an Aeronaut. PaulT00's Nordic Synapse 19 is shown iin a Cardinal or Crimson Aeronaut, and I posted a reply about the fit of the Synapse 25.

Trivia Time next:
    Quote Originally Posted by bradnd99 View Post
    I decided to take the jump into Navy/Solar…I love the color! As a Notre Dame alum, I'll call it my ND bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Wow! I have not been crazy about the navy/solar combo, but your first photo just made me a fan! And since I am a UC Berkeley alum... I think I hear my new Cal navy/solar Synapse calling...
    @taminca I know you ended up with the Synapse 25 in 400d Nordic Dyneema/Solar instead of Navy/Solar, but this piece of trivia is for you:
    In 1987, NASA launched a shuttle mission to rescue and repair a communications satellite known as SolarMax. Several members of the shuttle crew were graduates from Berkeley, and one morning during the mission, mission control woke the crew to the blaring strains of “Fight for California.” Undoubtedly, the crew did not wake up late that morning!

Source: Cal Songs ~ University of California Marching Band
    @bradnd99 I guess your ND bag should get equal time representation, but everyone knows that tune, so it's hardly trivia!

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 02-16-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @taminca I know you ended up with the Synapse 25 in 400d Nordic Dyneema/Solar instead of Navy/Solar, but this piece of trivia is for you
    Oh moriond, thanks so much! Hearing that really takes me back. (I finished my grad work at Cal in 1999 so it's been some time!). You've inspired me to make a drive to Berkeley tomorrow and wander around my alma mater with my new Synapse. And btw, I currently have both a new Navy/Solar S19 and a new Nordic/Solar S25... and am having the hardest time deciding which one to keep since I can justify the "need" for both : )

And many thanks to bradnd99, whose terrific photos convinced me to give Solar a try!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Ordered my Navy/Solar Aeronaut today! Can't wait to use it on my two upcoming trips - Washington DC & Seoul, South Korea!

So I' on a flight thru ORD today and saw this in Sky Magazine. I love how they try to sell this as the worlds lightest carry-on. Obviously, they've not heard of Tom Bihn. Me and my Aeronaut are doing better than this would fare on United's CRJs and 737s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0