Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: traveling with the brain bag in black 420d HT nylon Classic Parapack

Volunteer Moderator

traveling with the brain bag in black 420d HT nylon Classic Parapack

i love the feel and look of the parapack fabric! and the brain bag is a great bag to take for a long weekend trip!

rear main compartment - horizontal brain cell with 13" macbook pro inside, ipad mini, and a hardback book about as thick as the brain cell.

front main compartment - aeronaut sized packing cube backpack with clothes inside, clear quarter packing cube with toiletries inside, my softshell, gloves and hat when i wasn't wearing them, and a banana before i ate it.

one front lower compartment - chargers and cables in 3d organizer cubes each.

other front lower compartment - passport pouch with passport, global entry card and boarding pass inside.

front top compartment - earphones in a mini padded organizer pouch, phone in a small cork organizer pouch, wallet, and keys, all connected to key straps.

within the lash straps - a water bottle once i cleared security going up the canada.

this was my first time flying with a global entry card - i highly recommend you get one of these. coming back, my laptop and liquids got to stay in my brain bag, and my shoes got to stay on my feet. i also avoided the long immigration and security lines at YYZ!

not sure why, but i was asked to go for a second screening at YYZ. they checked the contents of my bag. the CBP officer commented how organized my bag was. i pointed out that it was made by Tom Bihn! that is high praise coming from someone who has to go through people's bags all day long!

i didn't get TSAPre flying out of DCA because i was flying air canada, but my wife and son got it when they flew united out of IAD the day prior.

first image is of the brain bag in the overhead compartment of a CRJ.

second image is of the brain bag awaiting the metro at DCA.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by maverick; 12-30-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    -m

I love the Brain Bag as well. I love the size and the versatility. I think the side compression straps are what make's this bag one of my favorites for travel. They allow me to snug the bag down so that it fits in that narrow CRJ overhead even when I've packed more! My biggest problem is that now I prefer to use my Synapse 25 as my backpack especially when I am at my destination. I'm constantly looking for the shoulder bag that is ultralight, just the right size and allows me to pack like the I can with the Brain Bag.....

Translation for jargon needed:

YYZ
    DCA
    CRJ
    TSAPre
    IAD
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Oh, and love your Brain Bag! Parapack looks great. Wonder if they will offer a parapack version of the Brain Bag in camo...
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Volunteer Moderator
    YYZ = Toronto Pearson International Airport.
    DCA = Reagan National Airport.
    CRJ = Canadian Regional Jet.
    TSAPre = expedited security clearance.
    IAD = Washington Dulles International Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Translation for jargon needed:

YYZ
    DCA
    CRJ
    TSAPre
    IAD
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jangle View Post
    I love the Brain Bag as well. I love the size and the versatility. I think the side compression straps are what make's this bag one of my favorites for travel. They allow me to snug the bag down so that it fits in that narrow CRJ overhead even when I've packed more! My biggest problem is that now I prefer to use my Synapse 25 as my backpack especially when I am at my destination. I'm constantly looking for the shoulder bag that is ultralight, just the right size and allows me to pack like the I can with the Brain Bag.....
    Hi Jangle!

The Tri-Star has a similar capacity to the Brain Bag, and can be carried with a shoulder strap (or with the backpack straps). You can use the two compartments without the dividers like the two main compartments of the Brain Bag, and the compartment with the dividers + the front zippered pockets as you would the front pockets of the Brain Bag.

For carrying smaller loads at your destination, you can pack a packing cube backpack inside.

What do you think?
    backpack and tCook like this.
    -m

Hi Maverick ~ Thanks! I actually have a Tri Star. It packs a little "fat" for me and I'm always afraid it will not fit in those narrow overheads. I've actually used a luggage strap lengthwise to compress and keep the package neater when carrying....... I think it is just the never-ending search for the perfect bag! WF a bit too small - although I don't have one yet, Aeronaut too large - but my favorite style. Right now I'm waiting to see what the Pilot brings to the mix but it sounds like it's more of a briefcase or messenger.

I also have a Brain Bag in Cordura which I use on continental travel in the U.S and a Tristar in Dyneema that was bought to met the challenge of European strict luggage weight and size requirements (Asian airlines have the same type of restriction).

The secret to avoid the barrel look with the Tristar it to pack everything in Packing Cubes. I use the Packing Cubes Backpacks and Packing Cube Shoulder Bags in Steel and UV and make sure to pack them as flat as possible
    They are perfect for shirts, pants, sweaters or tops, pants/skirts, cardigans.

The space left over in the middle compartment, from a laptop or tablet, in a Brain Cell or a Cache, is filled with Travel Stuff Sacks.

I like the all Dyneema, color coding possibility and ability to be used as lightweight EDCs at the destination of the Packing Cubes Backpacks and Packing Cube Shoulder Bags.

I feel that all Dyneema accessories slide better and their light weight is wonderful, especially when tired or in the middle of a heat wave.

In the Tristar video, which in the Tristar page below, Stephan uses Packing Cubes in Steel Dyneema and mesh.

Tri-Star - The midsize "one bag" travel bag for business or leisure travel. - TOM BIHN

Users love the regular Packing Cubes because not everyone color code everything as I do.
    And virtually every traveller who has reviewed the Tristar on the blog, uses them. You searched for tristar - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jangle View Post
    Hi Maverick ~ Thanks! I actually have a Tri Star. It packs a little "fat" for me and I'm always afraid it will not fit in those narrow overheads. I've actually used a luggage strap lengthwise to compress and keep the package neater when carrying....... I think it is just the never-ending search for the perfect bag! WF a bit too small - although I don't have one yet, Aeronaut too large - but my favorite style. Right now I'm waiting to see what the Pilot brings to the mix but it sounds like it's more of a briefcase or messenger.
    Just a thought - if you are concerned about the Tri-Star fitting in the overhead compartment, and one of the things you happen to have inside your Tri-Star is laptop - whether in a Brain Cell or in a Cache, you can always remove the laptop+case and keep it either underneath the seat in front of you, or in the seat pocket in front of you, with the result that you will have flattened your Tri-Star for storage in the skinny overhead bin.

I own a Super Ego briefcase, which I purchased in the Fall of 2009. The SuperEgo's exterior is 1050d ballistic nylon.

As my signature in the forum indicates, I have a small variety of other Tom Bihn accessories, made from either cordura or dyneema, etc. I have never seen parapack. I understand parapack resists cat & dog hair, but I would like a better description than that. How does parapack feel and how does it resist dirt, snow, rain, being set on the ground at a construction site, etc.? Should I staert my own thread or would you like to discuss it here?

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    I own a Super Ego briefcase, which I purchased in the Fall of 2009. The SuperEgo's exterior is 1050d ballistic nylon.

As my signature in the forum indicates, I have a small variety of other Tom Bihn accessories, made from either cordura or dyneema, etc. I have never seen parapack. I understand parapack resists cat & dog hair, but I would like a better description than that. How does parapack feel and how does it resist dirt, snow, rain, being set on the ground at a construction site, etc.? Should I staert my own thread or would you like to discuss it here?
    Regarding the 420 parapack material, I'm growing a new fondness for the material. I have the Guides pack in "electric" olive complete with leads pockets on either side and I just got my daughter the synapse 19 in "sexy" black 420 parapack. (As well as 3d cubes and another leads pocket for general travel in "sleek" steel 420 parapack for myself)
    So, how does it feel ?
    It feels like an expensive men's (or woman's) raincoat.
    How does it hold up?
    Fantastically, in one word.
    I've taken the guides pack on numorous hikes already, and it has been quite resistant in numorous ways. I went on a hike recently in a state park north of Malibu that had a forest fire about a year ago, long story short the pack was rubbed against some carbonized trees and it got all scuffed upon the sides and it came off with a damp towel.
    I also had to scurry in one section of the trail under low lying branches where the pack was playing defense to protect my back, all fared well.
    It's proven resistant to dirt drops as well.
    Lets put it this way, if Batman were to have a fabric sailplane that would pop out of a bag to take him across the desert I'm sure he would have Tom make it for him out of black 420 Parapack.
    :-)
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 12-30-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks Backpack, my packing does need some organization and I know it needs some restraint! I carry a Macbook Air 11" and an ipad mini. Given the new tease posts on the Pilot yesterday, I can't wait to see what it turns out to be! Maybe it will be that perfect solution :)

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    Regarding the 420 parapack material, I'm growing a new fondness for the material. I have the Guides pack in "electric" olive complete with leads pockets on either side and I just got my daughter the synapse 19 in "sexy" black 420 parapack. (As well as 3d cubes and another leads pocket for general travel in "sleek" steel 420 parapack for myself)
    So, how does it feel ?
    It feels like an expensive men's (or woman's) raincoat.
    How does it hold up?
    Fantastically, in one word.
    I've taken the guides pack on numorous hikes already, and it has been quite resistant in numorous ways. I went on a hike recently in a state park north of Malibu that had a forest fire about a year ago, long story short the pack was rubbed against some carbonized trees and it got all scuffed upon the sides and it came off with a damp towel.
    I also had to scurry in one section of the trail under low lying branches where the pack was playing defense to protect my back, all fared well.
    It's proven resistant to dirt drops as well.
    Lets put it this way, if Batman were to have a fabric sailplane that would pop out of a bag to take him across the desert I'm sure he would have Tom make it for him out of black 420 Parapack.
    :-)
    How does the olive look? I have a navy parapack S25, and it looks wonderful. Wondering whether I should get an Olive BB next :)

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    i love the feel and look of the parapack fabric! and the brain bag is a great bag to take for a long weekend trip!

rear main compartment - horizontal brain cell with 13" macbook pro inside, ipad mini, and a hardback book about as thick as the brain cell.

front main compartment - aeronaut sized packing cube backpack with clothes inside, clear quarter packing cube with toiletries inside, my softshell, gloves and hat when i wasn't wearing them, and a banana before i ate it.

one front lower compartment - chargers and cables in 3d organizer cubes each.

other front lower compartment - passport pouch with passport, global entry card and boarding pass inside.

front top compartment - earphones in a mini padded organizer pouch, phone in a small cork organizer pouch, wallet, and keys, all connected to key straps.

within the lash straps - a water bottle once i cleared security going up the canada.

this was my first time flying with a global entry card - i highly recommend you get one of these. coming back, my laptop and liquids got to stay in my brain bag, and my shoes got to stay on my feet. i also avoided the long immigration and security lines at YYZ!

not sure why, but i was asked to go for a second screening at YYZ. they checked the contents of my bag. the CBP officer commented how organized my bag was. i pointed out that it was made by Tom Bihn! that is high praise coming from someone who has to go through people's bags all day long!

i didn't get TSAPre flying out of DCA because i was flying air canada, but my wife and son got it when they flew united out of IAD the day prior.

first image is of the brain bag in the overhead compartment of a CRJ.

second image is of the brain bag awaiting the metro at DCA.
    do you have pictures of the interior? I'm curious how the steel looks. Frankly this picture scares me... It looks so darn heavy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0