Anyone carry a camera in a Synapse?

Hey, all of you Synapse owners!

Do any of you regularly carry a camera or camcorder in a Synapse? An SLR? More than one camera?

If you do, what do you enclose your cam(s) in to protect them?

How do you organize your cam(s) and gear in your Synapse?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

For air travel my Canon Power Shot is housed in its case inside the main compartment of my S25. Once at my destination, it rides in my S25 without the case for a while, but mostly around my neck at that point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Leica P&S in a small padded pouch - routinely rides in the interior pocket of my synapse 19 - along with a small pouch containing its charger and cables.
    List under construction ....

I carry an Olympus OM-D E-M5 with a Panasonic-Leica 25mm f/1.4 lens on it inside the top center waterbottle pocket of my Synapse 25. Generally I'm pretty careful with it just sitting in there (usually buffered by 2 days of clothes in the main compartment, but I have also shoved a ThinkTank Photo Lens Changer 25 in there to act as a padded case. The cylindrical shape of the LensChanger case fits in the top center pocket perfectly.

I carry my SLR in a Synapse 25. I've used both a Timbuktu insert and a Porteen Gear bag to hold the camera and lenses inside the backpack. Works great! With either insert, I put it in the bottom of the main compartment, leaving plenty of room for lightweight stuff on top and in all the extra pockets.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

I have a Synapse 19 with a Crumpler insert with three sleeves for my DSLR and 2 lenses (or a flash and 1 lens) in addition to what is attached to camera. Side pockets on the Synapse hold batteries and CF cards in pouches. It works great. Plenty of room left to pack food, a light jacket or other extras. So good in fact, I am looking to purchase a new Synapse to replace my old one as it has become my defacto camera bag. Another plus is that it does not look like a "camera" bag. As always, the Synapse distributes the weight really well. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by PGJohnson; 12-29-2013 at 09:33 PM.

For those who store their SLR in an insert inside a Synapse: if you are walking or riding in a vehicle and you suddenly decide to pull your camera out and snap a photo while you are in motion, how long does it take you to fish the camera out?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

As long as I have the other gear organized into stuff sacks, I can grab the camera really quickly. However long it takes to take the pack off, unzip it, and plunge my hand under the loose flap of the camera insert. Under 30 seconds I would say. If I expect to be taking photos, I am usually wearing the camera cross body, though.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Quote Originally Posted by PGJohnson View Post
    I have a Synapse 19 with a Crumpler insert
    I also use a Crumpler insert for my DSLR (a Haven in medium IIRC) on the occasions when I carry it in my Synapse, but it is a bit of a squeeze if I have a water bottle in the water bottle compartment. Another option to an insert would be a simple top-loading camera bag (e.g. Lowepro TL-something or rather) with the strap removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post
    Under 30 seconds I would say. If I expect to be taking photos, I am usually wearing the camera cross body, though.
    You're much faster than me! I probably take 1-2 minutes - set the bag down, take out the other stuff in my bag, take out the camera... If I wanted to be able to take photos on short notice I'd also have it out ready - I use Op-Tech straps for my gear, and have a strap that you can attach to the backpack straps - which is much more comfortable than using a normal neck strap since the weight of the camera is on your shoulders.

I do crazy things during a hike, like releasing the backpack from one shoulder, suspending the pack in mid-air off the other shoulder, opening it up and snatching the camera out of the pack without ever taking it off. I used to do that sort of thing with old point-n-shoots while on hikes in the woods. Never tried it with a newer high-quailty pack carrying an insert, though.

Dear Blusquid,

Which OpTech straps do you use for attaching your camera to the shoulder straps of your pack? I'm working on figuring something like this out. I would much rather hang the camera from the straps than around my neck......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Dear Blusquid,

Which OpTech straps do you use for attaching your camera to the shoulder straps of your pack?
    Hi Monkeylady, I use these ones -http://optechusa.com/system-connectors/reporter-backpack.html

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0