Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: My first "What's in my bag?" video: Synapse 25

So far, the "mobile office" backpack manifest seems to include these items:

Apple MacBook Air, with charger
    Apple iPad Mini
    AppleTV device
    network cables (presumably pre-fab RJ45 / Ethernet)
    HDMI cable
    Kanex Apple TV HDMI-to-VGA adaptor with sound
    Lightning-to-USB cables
    USB-to-microUSB cables
    various chargers and other doodads

Am I missing anything?
    eWalker likes this.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    I actually sat down with ScottE22's video again tonight. This has to be at least the sixth or seventh time I've watched it. I actually applied for a job similar to ScottE22's, communicated with him about it privately, and we exchanged all kinds of information about "the biz". I work as a "Producer" for a construction business now, which means I'm part-office manager, part-on-site-project-manager for a small outfit that covers eight counties. I've had a variety of cheap, foreign-made backpacks on-the-job with me over the years, and none of them ever lasted very long. I've been thinking seriously about a Tom Bihn Brain Bag, which would be perfect for work and play EDC for my current situation, but if I get hired in the new job that would be a major career change and I might move to something more like ScottE22 and his Synapse "mobile office".

I realize that everyone's job and personal needs are going to be distinctive, but I decided, simply as an intellectual exercise, the analyze what ScottE22 is doing here and break down the components of his "mobile office" luggage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's a summary of the Tom Bihn gear and accessories seen in this video. (Note that this is the TB gear only, not all the electronic and personal do-dads he is carrying with him in there.) To wit:

Main Bag: Synapse 25-liter (black exterior, wasabi-dyneema interior)
    Side Pocket - Starboard
    Stuff Sack - Size #1 (Iberian Red)
    Side-Pocket - Port
    Stuff Sack - Size #1 (Ultraviolet)
    Small Top Pocket
    ID Pouch (?), keystrap?
    Large Top Pocket
    At least one Tom Bihn Cache for iPad, possibly two
    Main Compartment
    Tom Bihn Cache-with-Rails for MacBook Air
    8-inch key straps
    Side Effect (Black exterior, Wasabi interior?)

Some general questions and comments, at this point:

I like ScottE22's use of the stuff sacks, Snake Charmer, Cache(s) for iPad, and especially the Side Effect! Has anyone else tried this?

I have to admit that I've never carried any laptop computer in a backpack. (I have a SuperEgo briefcase with a Brain Cell in it; that's the closest I've ever come) Anyone here ever carried a MacBook Air in a Cache in a backpack? Do you notice it?

Does anyone who works alot on-the-road carry a cellphone in a backpack? If so, where/how do you carry it? I am forever striving to find a good place to carry one. It seems to never be within reach when I need it; either that or it is forever getting in the way if it is stashed in my work-clothes. I am embarrassed to admit that on a few occasions I've made a "butt call". Would the Small Top Zippered Pocket work as a good home for a cellphone?

Does anyone ever carry hydration in a Synapse? It so, where do you store it and how do you set it up?

Here's a cost breakdown for the Tom Bihn gear only. Correct me if I'm in error/missing anything:
    Backpack: Synapse 25-liter: $170
    Snake Charmer: $30
    2 Travel Stuff Sacks, Size #1: $14 x 2 = $28
    1 Pocket Pouch: $9
    2 Caches for iPad Mini: $25 x 2 = $50
    Cache-with-Rails for Synapse and MacBook Air: $30? (not sure what the cost of the rails would be, or how to order them)
    Side Effect (I already own a black Side Effect, so I would save $40 there)
    Keystraps, undetermined number and sizes.

This would seem to suggest a total, less the Side Effect, on the high side of $320 for ScottE22's "mobile office" backpack rig. (That's without shipping cost figured in.)

ScottE22, I just want to say thank you and hope to see more videos and postings from you on this forum. If you would be interested, it would also be interesting to see what you do with your Western Flyer carry-on suitcase. Until then, happy trails!

--The Mountain Man
    Any idea how much the price changed since Tom Bihn Co. hiked their prices?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

My update:

Here's a cost breakdown for the Tom Bihn gear only. Correct me if I'm in error/missing anything:

Backpack: Synapse 25-liter: $195
    2 Travel Stuff Sacks, Size #1: $16 x 2 = $32
    Cache-with-Rails for Synapse and MacBook Air: $30? (not sure what the cost of the rails would be, or how to order them)
    Side Effect (I already own a black Side Effect, so I would save there) $50
    Keystraps, undetermined number and sizes. Still not sure how many straps and what size.

It now looks like $396 (before keystraps) for the Bihn gear. Note that I just pulled these prices off of Bihn's web-site as of today.

No computer or other electronics included in this estimate.

It now looks like $396 (before keystraps) for the Bihn gear. Note that I just pulled these prices off of Bihn's web-site as of today.

Holy cow. I accumulated most of that stuff over time so I didn't actually see that size outlay of cash all at once. Having said that, I'm happy to report that I'm in Boise this week and still carrying the same kit with only a few minor tweaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)

My update:

Backpack: Synapse 25-liter: $195
    2 Travel Stuff Sacks, Size #1: $16 x 2 = $32
    Side Effect (I already own a black Side Effect, so I would save there) $50
    Keystraps, undetermined number and sizes. Still not sure how many straps and what size.

I am impressed by this very reasonable prices too, if you take in account that:

1. These Bags are well designed and constructed which takes a lot of time of thinking, trying out and learning by try and error. Time construction time of a product is time spend without money earned.
    2. The best materials for each purpose, no compromises there. We all know firms who cut the quality to gain profit.
    3. Made in USA, meaning: no Children-labor, no underpaid, undereducated workers BUT high costs for rent, salary and taxes.
    4. A well thought out system where all the smaller stuff you buy works: a. on its own, b. together with every other Tom Bihn Bag you buy, c. even with every other bag you own.
    5. custom died material: these bags do not look as all the other bags. Custom died means more expensive because it is made in small badges.
    6. Livetime warranty: they expect you to use these bags a loooong time. Which means, if you are not crazy (as I clearly am) and buy bags in multyple colors or different bags with similar usage-profile, your investment should last you a long time. One only gives lifetime warranty if one expects that the bag will live up to it. Otherwise the money you earned by selling the bag will disappear by repairing these bags.
    7. You are aloud (even so they ask you to think about it twice, because lets face it, it adds considerably to the work-flow of shipping) to call them and add to your order just so you do not have to pay twice for shipping. Clearly they get more money if you add to your oder but many companys do not allow this and I bet most people do not think twice about it and but in a second order than. So it is a service not common and not without costs for Tom Bihn.

To be truly honest: I do not know how Tom Bihn is able to do such great thinks at such reasonable prices. And as I am not in the Bag-Business I will have overlooked quite a few points here.

I am in the marked for a new Laptop right now. I hate, that I can not find one that is similar in quality and integrity to a Tom Bihn Bag.

Ilkyway

Scott, how many keystraps does your configuration use, and what are the sizes?

Scott, how many keystraps does your configuration use, and what are the sizes?
    It changes, but minimally a short one in one of the side pockets for my actual keys and a long one in the larger front pocket that attaches to a pouch that holds my backup phone and iPad charger. I'm no longer packing two iPad minis in that pocket.

Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)

What about the "hanging Side Effect" arrangement in the main compartment? What do you use there?

What about the "hanging Side Effect" arrangement in the main compartment? What do you use there?
    Forgot about that because I've moved the SE to the bottom compartment lately since I haven't needed the Snake Charmer. That little setup requires two long straps.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0