Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: My first "What's in my bag?" video: Synapse 25

Such a great video!!
    eWalker likes this.

Great video...
    eWalker likes this.

I actually sat down with ScottE22's video again tonight. This has to be at least the sixth or seventh time I've watched it. I actually applied for a job similar to ScottE22's, communicated with him about it privately, and we exchanged all kinds of information about "the biz". I work as a "Producer" for a construction business now, which means I'm part-office manager, part-on-site-project-manager for a small outfit that covers eight counties. I've had a variety of cheap, foreign-made backpacks on-the-job with me over the years, and none of them ever lasted very long. I've been thinking seriously about a Tom Bihn Brain Bag, which would be perfect for work and play EDC for my current situation, but if I get hired in the new job that would be a major career change and I might move to something more like ScottE22 and his Synapse "mobile office".

I realize that everyone's job and personal needs are going to be distinctive, but I decided, simply as an intellectual exercise, the analyze what ScottE22 is doing here and break down the components of his "mobile office" luggage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's a summary of the Tom Bihn gear and accessories seen in this video. (Note that this is the TB gear only, not all the electronic and personal do-dads he is carrying with him in there.) To wit:

Main Bag: Synapse 25-liter (black exterior, wasabi-dyneema interior)
    Side Pocket - Starboard
    Stuff Sack - Size #1 (Iberian Red)
    Side-Pocket - Port
    Stuff Sack - Size #1 (Ultraviolet)
    Small Top Pocket
    ID Pouch (?), keystrap?
    Large Top Pocket
    At least one Tom Bihn Cache for iPad, possibly two
    Main Compartment
    Tom Bihn Cache-with-Rails for MacBook Air
    8-inch key straps
    Side Effect (Black exterior, Wasabi interior?)

Some general questions and comments, at this point:

I like ScottE22's use of the stuff sacks, Snake Charmer, Cache(s) for iPad, and especially the Side Effect! Has anyone else tried this?

I have to admit that I've never carried any laptop computer in a backpack. (I have a SuperEgo briefcase with a Brain Cell in it; that's the closest I've ever come) Anyone here ever carried a MacBook Air in a Cache in a backpack? Do you notice it?

Does anyone who works alot on-the-road carry a cellphone in a backpack? If so, where/how do you carry it? I am forever striving to find a good place to carry one. It seems to never be within reach when I need it; either that or it is forever getting in the way if it is stashed in my work-clothes. I am embarrassed to admit that on a few occasions I've made a "butt call". Would the Small Top Zippered Pocket work as a good home for a cellphone?

Does anyone ever carry hydration in a Synapse? It so, where do you store it and how do you set it up?

Here's a cost breakdown for the Tom Bihn gear only. Correct me if I'm in error/missing anything:
    Backpack: Synapse 25-liter: $170
    Snake Charmer: $30
    2 Travel Stuff Sacks, Size #1: $14 x 2 = $28
    1 Pocket Pouch: $9
    2 Caches for iPad Mini: $25 x 2 = $50
    Cache-with-Rails for Synapse and MacBook Air: $30? (not sure what the cost of the rails would be, or how to order them)
    Side Effect (I already own a black Side Effect, so I would save $40 there)
    Keystraps, undetermined number and sizes.

This would seem to suggest a total, less the Side Effect, on the high side of $320 for ScottE22's "mobile office" backpack rig. (That's without shipping cost figured in.)

ScottE22, I just want to say thank you and hope to see more videos and postings from you on this forum. If you would be interested, it would also be interesting to see what you do with your Western Flyer carry-on suitcase. Until then, happy trails!

--The Mountain Man
    Last edited by MtnMan; 03-23-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    eWalker likes this.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Dear MtnMan: I'm not working any longer, but I can respond to two of your questions. Your phone will fit in one of the front side pockets. Depending on the size of your phone, you may be able to fit in in the top front small pocket in the S25. If not, you could move one of your size 1 stuff sacks to that pocket and house your phone and ID pouch together.

I have used the 1 liter Savur water bottles in the water bottle section. The section is large enough for a 1 liter playpus, but I opted for something I could wash in the dishwasher, hence the savur, which is available through Amazon. I prefer the collapsible bottles for the reduction of bulk they afford in my carry. When empty, the savur can be rolled up and clipped to itself with its carabiner clip to hold the roll.

Hope this is of some help.

Good luck in your job search/change.

Monkeylady
    eWalker likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I was also looking at possible exterior phone mounts that might attach to a backpack strap, like the Chrome Phone Pouch. I never saw anything like this offered by Tom Bihn, but I am not sure if there a way to make this would with a Synapse backpack strap. Any suggestions?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

For the mobile phone, you might be able to use a Side Effect with the Waist Strap or even a 3D Pouch, if they are both black, they look like a cool tool belt accessory.
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    I was also looking at possible exterior phone mounts that might attach to a backpack strap, like the Chrome Phone Pouch. I never saw anything like this offered by Tom Bihn, but I am not sure if there a way to make this would with a Synapse backpack strap.
    Tom designed both the original and re-designed (larger) Buzz backpacks with a pocket for holding a phone (or glasses) the sling strap. You can't see it on the pictures that I uploaded in my reply post in the Wanted: TB Buzz thread, because it's positioned on the sling strap that crosses your chest when the Buzz is worn, but you can read the description in the Buzz product page link and view the pocket in the linked Flickr stream pictures of the reverse side of the bag. The pocket was designed for an iPhone or iPod Touch, and can fit an iPhone 5 -- but I doubt phones of the Samsung Galaxy S5 or Nexus models would fit. The cell phone pocket included on the strap makes more sense in the sling design than it would for backpack straps that are off center and on either side, where it's unclear where to optimally position such a pocket, especially thinking of the handedness Of the user.

HTH. moriond
    eWalker likes this.

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work for you. It's a great idea for those who need to have their phones at the ready and very protected at the same time. I don't use a rig like this but I hang plenty of other things off the backpack straps--cameras, binoculars, so I can be hands free AND not have equipment hanging around my neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work for you. It's a great idea for those who need to have their phones at the ready and very protected at the same time. I don't use a rig like this but I hang plenty of other things off the backpack straps--cameras, binoculars, so I can be hands free AND not have equipment hanging around my neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkeylady can you show or/and explain how you rig your equipment in that manner?
    eWalker likes this.

If I am wearing both binoculars and my point and shoot, I'll wear a harness for binocs UNDER my backpack straps. Camera is then suspended off the backpack straps using a combination of double carabiners and 16" key straps looped through the straps, adjusting length by tying knots in the keystrap as necessary. This is an inelegant solution but it works for me and makes use of parts I already own. You need to adjust lengths to make sure that lifting one or the other to your face does not tangle with the other. Wearing two harnesses hasn't worked for me for this reason. I'll try to get a photo of my husband in his regalia later tonight.

One minor tweak: the Chrome pouch I linked above is not made in USA; it is sourced from China.

I would like to find something similar that is made in USA, or at least has a similar reputation for superior quality and its source is a little more clear to the public. I like the idea of having something mounted on a backpack strap, making it very easily accessible even while walking with the pack on.
    eWalker likes this.

I found a USA-made alternative: Reload Bags makes a "Celly Holder"; I wonder if this would fit a TB backpack shoulder strap.
    eWalker likes this.

Timbuk2 make a couple of similar items that can be attached to any messenger or backpack straps:

Shagg Bag Accessory Case 2014 | Smartphone Cover - Timbuk2 Bags
    3way Accessory Case | Protective Smartphone & iPhone Case - Timbuk2 Bags
    eWalker likes this.

Additional question:

In ScottE22's video, he says that he keeps 2 iPad Mini tablet-devices in his Synapse's water bottle pocket. (5:34) Each iPad Mini is kept contained in its own Tom Bihn Cache.

Question: if he's on the road and he whips out his iPad Mini in its Cache, how can he tell he's retrieving the correct one if there are two Caches kept in that pocket? Is there a way to mark the outside of the Cache so he can tell which is which?
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Additional question:

In ScottE22's video, he says that he keeps 2 iPad Mini tablet-devices in his Synapse's water bottle pocket. (5:34) Each iPad Mini is kept contained in its own Tom Bihn Cache.

Question: if he's on the road and he whips out his iPad Mini in its Cache, how can he tell he's retrieving the correct one if there are two Caches kept in that pocket? Is there a way to mark the outside of the Cache so he can tell which is which?

One has a vertical flap,
    The other has a horizontal flap.
    :-)
    eWalker likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0