Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By taminca
  • 1 Post By monkeylady
  • 1 Post By taminca
  • 1 Post By taminca
  • 1 Post By taminca

Thread: One-bagging to NOLA with Aeronaut

One-bagging to NOLA with Aeronaut

My thanks to all the awesome Forum members from whom I've learned so much and who have aided and abetted my TB addiction. And many thanks to the great folks at TB who have been so patient with my various orders and returns as I sought that perfect combination of bags and pouches for my first one-bagging trip. TB's customer service is outstanding! Finally, a huge thank-you to monkeylady, who contributed the final piece that I needed a Forest/Cork/Steel Imago!

Name:  P1010208.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  121.5 KB

At center is the Imago, in a Black Dyneema/Wasabi Aeronaut. In the Aeronaut's top zippered mesh pocket is a wool Buff, wool gloves and wool hat. Counter-clockwise starting from top left of the Aeronaut are:

1. UV Dyneema Clear Quarter Packing Cube with non-liquid toiletries on one side and laundry gear on the other
    2. UV Dyneema Clear Organizer Cube with liquids
    3. Wasabi Dyneema Clear Organizer Cube with meds, emergency kit, hand-sanitizer wipes, ear plugs, and other cleaning wipes
    4. Ultra-light down jacket in its stuff sack
    5. Medium Eagle Creek Specter cube with undies, socks and sleepwear
    6. Large Eagle Creek Specter cube with 1 wool slacks, 3 wool long-sleeve tops, and 1 wool base-layer shirt
    7. Wasabi Travel Tray with night light, various cables and chargers
    8. Brita water bottle with filter
    9. Steel Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (with shoulder strap in outside pocket) containing Clear Organizer Wallet, camera, iPad Air, iPhone, iPod and noise-cancelling earbuds, travel documents, sunglasses, and misc stuff (small hair brush, pen, stylus, keys, etc.) all in various TB pouches and one Fabric Organizer Cube

Name:  P1010212.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  108.0 KB

The Imago (my EDC bag while in NOLA), all clothing and the Travel Tray fit nicely in the Aeronaut's main compartment with room to spare if I want to toss in my coat and for things I might purchase in NOLA. The PCSB is in one end pocket, which I can pull out for use on the plane, and the CQPC and two COCs are in the other end pocket.

Name:  P1010215.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  115.9 KB

The water bottle goes into the open top pocket on the end. I have the Absolute Shoulder Strap attached to the Aeronaut, but expect to be using the backpack and waist straps most of the time. All that is missing is a Tom Bihn luggage tag (Hint!).
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    All that is missing is a Tom Bihn luggage tag (Hint!).
    stick around the forums and they will help you realize dozens of things that you are missing! I personally think you could use another half dozen keystraps, a side effect, another organizer wallet and a pocket pouch!

All kidding aside very well done and very well thought out! I'm sure you'll love your trip if you make it uptown be sure to check out Le Bon Temps Roule, great live music, great vibe, friendly people and good food when their kitchen is open.

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    stick around the forums and they will help you realize dozens of things that you are missing! I personally think you could use another half dozen keystraps, a side effect, another organizer wallet and a pocket pouch!

All kidding aside very well done and very well thought out! I'm sure you'll love your trip if you make it uptown be sure to check out Le Bon Temps Roule, great live music, great vibe, friendly people and good food when their kitchen is open.
    Thanks for the NOLA tips, Miking! While packing, I did think about putting in a rush order for a small UV Shop Bag and was very tempted by the wasabi Packing Cube Backpack, but was able to control myself. If the Black Dyneema/Wasabi Side Effect had been in stock, I would have been a goner! Alas, I fear there is no cure for my TB addiction.
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Thanks for the NOLA tips, Miking! While packing, I did think about putting in a rush order for a small UV Shop Bag and was very tempted by the wasabi Packing Cube Backpack, but was able to control myself. If the Black Dyneema/Wasabi Side Effect had been in stock, I would have been a goner! Alas, I fear there is no cure for my TB addiction.
    I was just thinking that you needed a Black Dyneema/Wasabi Side Effect to go along with your Aeronaut. I have one of these, and it's awesome. I also first though that the stuff sack for your ultra-lite down jacket was one of the new Eagle Creek Specter tubes, and was going to ask you about them. Have you tried the new Specter Compression Cube sets? (same basic Silnylon design, but a different zipper, from the web site description.)

Dear Tam,

You are one organized cookie! Most impressive!

Would you believe that I have the same specter cubes in the same color, ditto on the travel tray. My stuff sack for my puffer jacket is UV....great minds think alike....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    taminca likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Have you tried the new Specter Compression Cube sets? (same basic Silnylon design, but a different zipper, from the web site description.)
    I did try them, Moriond. The compression zipper does what it's supposed to, but I already had an entire Specter set of cubes and bags, and the compression feature was not enticing enough to me. Plus, I would be too tempted to pack more, which adds weight even if volume is reduced. So I returned them and used the money on TB products!
    jeffmac likes this.
    -- David Whyte

BTW, if you are a meat eater, the Central Market across from the cafe and beignet place in the French quarter makes great muffaleta sandwiches. Get some to go, take a steamship ride to the zoo (if it's still there post Katrina), and have a walkaround and a picnic....and there are those restaurants where BAM! is fluently spoken....

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    BTW, if you are a meat eater, the Central Market across from the cafe and beignet place in the French quarter makes great muffaleta sandwiches. Get some to go, take a steamship ride to the zoo (if it's still there post Katrina), and have a walkaround and a picnic....and there are those restaurants where BAM! is fluently spoken....

I am and that sounds terrific (and yummy)! Thanks.
    -- David Whyte

Very nice kit indeed! Have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Very nice kit indeed! Have a great time.
    Thanks, whisper!
    -- David Whyte

You are inspiring me to rethink how I pack all the little things. We gearing up for a trip to Ecuador and Panama in February. The one thing that always
    drives me crazy at my destination is how haphazardly little things are stored and arranged. I have given great thought to the clothing piece over the years and pretty much have that down. Our vacation travel is always tropical in winter as our rods and cones need light stimulation after months of drear in the Seattle area and I, of course, need to see some monkeys. This travel always means cameras, binoculars, tech toys, batteries, chargers, snacks, lots of meds.

I took inspiration from your use of the 1/4 packing cube and decided to make myself a bathing kit, with travel towel and washcloth on one side and my "products" on another. I also decided to make a stand alone allergy/sinus kit in a pencil pouch. It houses my sinus irrigator (TMI?)' saline packets, allergy meds, and nasal spray (eventually moved from 3-1-1). I'm working on thinking through more.....

Sounds like a great plan, monkeylady! I actually am thinking of getting another Quarter Packing Cube because the divided storage is so handy. Greetings from NOLA, btw, where a Forest/Cork Imago has been on the loose in the French Quarter, cemeteries, swamps, Oak Alley plantation, Steamboat Natchez, and more! And the Aeronaut has acquired two new admirers in two different airports : )
    dorayme likes this.
    -- David Whyte

I ordered another Qtr. Packing Cube...just because or just in case....

Aren't the trees at Oak Alley Plantation just amazing? They felt to me to have personhood, a grand energetic presence.

Continue to carry the TB flag. Glad you are enjoying yourself in such an interesting area. I hope you'll post some pix after you return.

This has been such a useful thread. I'll be heading to NOLA in a week, so I'm eagerly eating this all up in anticipation. And yes, I will be bringing my Aeronaut for sure, complete with TB packing cubes and accessories galore. Taminca, what's the weather like there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    This has been such a useful thread. I'll be heading to NOLA in a week, so I'm eagerly eating this all up in anticipation. And yes, I will be bringing my Aeronaut for sure, complete with TB packing cubes and accessories galore. Taminca, what's the weather like there?
    Ginkgo, weather was perfect when I was there but I am now back home, and in serious NOLA withdrawal. I had such an amazing time -- definitely my best mini-vacation this year! And made so much easier by TB -- it's true that once you go one-bagging with TB products, you can't ever go back. Will post photos in a few days. Oooh...now I am living vicariously thru sharing YOUR anticipation!
    Ginkgo likes this.
    -- David Whyte

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0