Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By moriond

Thread: photo request: steel dyneema next to navy/indigo

photo request: steel dyneema next to navy/indigo

i'm having a hard time deciding between steel dyneema and navy(25)/indigo(19) for my synapse purchase. i wonder if anyone has bags in these colours and would be able to post side-by-side photos?

When I was trying to decide on fabrics for my Synapse 25 I looked at a lot of reviews, photos and videos of the various options. I ordered the Steel Dyneema and noticed immediately upon arrival how much darker it seemed in real life compared to the images.

I suppose this could be a result of lighting or maybe my monitor/smart phone display. However, other fabric colors I have order seemed to match the on-line images pretty closely, so I think there is something about the Steel Dyneema that causes it to appear lighter in images. Of course this could all simply be my imagination or lack of color perception.

Anyway, I really like the color and have been very pleased with the fabric choice and the bag in general.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hope someone else posts, because I'm really bad at photos. OK, here's a picture of my Synapse 19 (from the first group sent out of the original design batch, Indigo/Solar) next to my Synapse 25 in Steel 400d Dyneema/Wasabi.

It's really hard to get an accurate color on the Indigo Cordura with the underlying "royal purple" undertone. In most pictures the blue tone of the Indigo just comes up looking like Sapphire. Also, in many pictures of the 400d Steel Dyneema, the steel background looks too light.

The colors looked really different when these bags were shot against a wood door background (which is the easiest place in my office to take the picture).
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377905976.450473.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  79.0 KB

The 400d Steel is darker in person, but I personally love it! 400d Nordic will also blow you away. The pictures can't do it justice.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Grey DLBC * Wishlist: New 400d Color

If you are really unsure, you could order some organizer pouches in the colors you are interested and get a first hand look.

Realistically, this org pouches will be put to good use so you won't be losing anything by doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradnd99 View Post
    If you are really unsure, you could order some organizer pouches in the colors you are interested and get a first hand look.

Realistically, this org pouches will be put to good use so you won't be losing anything by doing it.
    If you also contact TB they might be able to send you some sample swatches as they did for me.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    The 400d Steel is darker in person, but I personally love it! 400d Nordic will also blow you away. The pictures can't do it justice.
    Yes, I have a Synapse 19 in 400d Nordic Dyneema/Steel from the first batch that came out in that color combination,and the color is beautiful, but I'm also still using the Indigo Synapse that was part if my original purchase in combination with the Tri-Star. this is the picture of the combination that I posted to the forums a year ago.Both bags date from the first issue of the Tri-Star and the Synapse, respectively. And I even ordered another Synapse in Indigo/Solar just before they discontinued Solar because I could imagine how bad I would feel if my Synapse ever got stolen and I couldn't replace the color.

The outdoor pictures of the Synapse in Navy and Indigo probably give a better idea of the colors. For Indigo here's one of the Synapse in the Swiss Alps, and there's also Nukediver's Indigo Synapse at the beach. For navy, take a look at the Synapse in the Northern California mountains or Franco's pictures of the Synapse in Rome and in Petra.
    Last edited by moriond; 08-31-2013 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Fixed link to Synpase in Swiss Alpss thread
    Darcy and pegolas like this.

thanks everyone. i can picture what navy is like, but indigo just seems so surreal/artificial in the photos. if it's really how i imagine it to be, i might be tempted to get a smaller synapse just for indigo. if anyone's familiar, what is the closest to it in terms of pantone swatches?

moriond, I am so jealous of your matching luggage. Now I want a backpack that matches my aubergine WF (which is still I route!!). Unfortunately, the only one that comes in that color is the SA, which I already OWN. Booooooo.

Also, am I the only one who feels the need to buy more stuff right after purchasing new stuff? It's like a trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by bagg View Post
    if anyone's familiar, what is the closest to it in terms of pantone swatches?
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say 286, but Indigo is just so much brighter and vivid in person. It's truly hard to describe. It's rich and luminous, and although I would not classify myself as a lover of bright colors, I love my Indigo MCB.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0