Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Photojdoc
  • 1 Post By Photojdoc
  • 2 Post By Photojdoc

Thread: Smart Alec arrived today

Smart Alec arrived today

My Smart Alec arrived this morning. Just in time for a trip to the coast for a couple of days. I added the Smart Alec as a bag to transport my small digital rangefinder system in. I've been a photojournalist for over 35 years and for the last 17, have been a college professor teaching photojournalism. I am always in serch of a "better" camera bag, and especially when it comes to a backpack version. I had a Brain Bag years ago, I loved it, but on a whim (big mistake) sold it to a friend.

I got a Ristretto for my 11" MacBook Air about three weeks ago and decided it was time to jump back into a backpack. I went back and forth between the Smart Alec and the Brain Bag. The SA won out being smaller in size. I am planning on using some camera inserts from a couple other camera bags to customize the fit. I'll be writing about my experiences on my photo blog in the near future.

Name:  TB_SmartAlec_1.JPG
Views: 566
Size:  285.7 KB
    Ristretto for 11" MacBook Air (Steel/Iberian), Smart Alec (Black/Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel)
    Travel Tray (Steel), 11" MBA Cache, numerous organizers and straps

Looking forward to more of your pics and stories!

Would love to see how and what you load up into your SA! What inserts and camera gear are you fitting in there?
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

My Smart Alex went with me on my short trip to Myrtle Beach this week. It held my Fuji X-Pro1, four lenses and Travel Tray full of card reader, cables, battery charger and a couple of batteries. I'm continuing to try using it as my camera bag and will be putting it through the paces with a photo shoot on Monday.
    Name:  TB_SmartAlec_5.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  288.2 KB
    Darcy likes this.
    Ristretto for 11" MacBook Air (Steel/Iberian), Smart Alec (Black/Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel)

I've been using my Smart Alex as a camera bag this past week. I've modified it using Domke camera bag inserts. The Domke inserts are slightly padded on each of the sides, although there is no padding on the bottom. They are available in several configurations and heights.I'm using a newer version of the four section insert which allows me to mold the dividers to fit my cameras. I have an additional two section insert in the Smart Alec.

These inserts allow me to put my FujiFilm X-Pro1 body, and my lenses - XF14/2.8, XF18/2, XF35/1.4, XF18-55/2.8-4 and XF55-200/3.5-4.8 and a small flash in the Smart Alec. I'm also able to carry my 11" MacBook Air in a Cache, a Joby Gorilla Pod, batteries and chargers for both cameras in two clear organizers, and cables, card reader and SD cards in the Travel Tray. The setup has worked very well, both on my recent trip out of town and shooting and editing our university summer commencement on Monday.

Here are a couple of photos of my current setup:
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Darcy and Ilkyway like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0