Like Tree19Likes
  • 18 Post By Lara
  • 1 Post By bunchgrass

Thread: Side Effect saves the day

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Side Effect saves the day

Today I received an unexpected invitation to go for a boat ride; the only catch was that I had to be at the launch site in half an hour! The pre-Tom-Bihn-me would have said "No, thank-you, I just don't have time to get ready". The new me said "Are you kidding me?!? I'll be right there!". I don't get out on the salt chuck nearly as much as I used to, so was thrilled at the opportunity.

I grabbed my new Side Effect out of my Little Swift, knowing that my wallet & a minimal EDC were tethered inside. I decided to take along my cell phone, but removed my iPod and left it behind. I grabbed some sunscreen, a waterproof point-&-shoot camera, a hat, and my PFD, and took off down to the boat launch.

There was no time to pack one of my larger bags, or even to go rooting through my "bag of TB straps" to find a set of waist straps for the Side Effect, so I had to wear it cross-body under my PFD. That worked out well, even when climbing in and out of the boat, wading through water, etc. The two-hour trip turned into five hours, just because it was such a beautiful day out there and no-one wanted to come back in. We did some fishing and visited an island.

I'm very thankful to TB & crew once again for their wonderful products. Without the faith that I have in their design & construction, and without the organization they've given me, I would have missed out on this beautiful day. Here are some pictures...

Aubergine/Wasabi Side Effect
    Name:  IMGP0029.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  86.5 KB

Side Effect on the island
    Name:  IMGP0093.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  148.5 KB

Pathway on the island
    Name:  IMG_0593.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  220.2 KB

View from the island
    Name:  IMG_0592.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  176.9 KB

In my Side Effect: Pentax Optio W20 waterproof camera, cell phone, sunscreen, pen, aubergine Clear Organizer Wallet, mini UV dyneema Clear Organizer pouch (contained pocket knife, Tylenol, band-aids, emergency money).
    Name:  P1100020.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  119.8 KB
    Aeronaut; Synapse 19; PCBP & other packing cubes; 2 x Little Swifts; Side Effect; 4 Shop Bags; Small Cafe Bag; 3 Travel Trays; 2 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; Cache ; Guardian Light; 3 x 3D Clear Organizer Cubes; 3 x 3D Organizer Cubes; 3 x small Yarn Stuff Sacks; 8 Clear Organizer Wallets; 6 x Clear Organizer Pouches; Padded Organizer Pouch; Pocket Pouch; #4 Knitting Pouch; Cafe Messenger Stabilizer.

Love your photos! Thank you for posting them. I will meditate on them later today when our temp is expected to hit 100+.

Nice! I am near you geographically and what a great few days we have had. I have a side effect on order and the more posts about it I read the more I am looking forward to it ( steel dyneema/wasabi)

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bunchgrass View Post
    Love your photos! Thank you for posting them. I will meditate on them later today when our temp is expected to hit 100+.
    Wow - that's warm! We're appreciating warmer sunny days after the cool, wet spring we had, but the warmest it's been here is 84 so far.

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Nice! I am near you geographically and what a great few days we have had. I have a side effect on order and the more posts about it I read the more I am looking forward to it ( steel dyneema/wasabi)
    Glad you're having a good time - it's so beautiful here in the summer. I'm using my Side Effect as a "stand-alone" bag a lot more than I thought I would. I expected to use it primarily as a "bag-within-a-bag", but it's so light and easy to carry that I find myself grabbing it more and more often as I'm heading out the door. I really like the flexibility and organization of being able to have it inside a larger bag, and then to be able to remove it and carry it by itself without re-packing everything. Mind you, switching TB pouches from one bag to another is pretty quick; a pre-packed Side Effect is just a tiny bit quicker.
    Aeronaut; Synapse 19; PCBP & other packing cubes; 2 x Little Swifts; Side Effect; 4 Shop Bags; Small Cafe Bag; 3 Travel Trays; 2 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; Cache ; Guardian Light; 3 x 3D Clear Organizer Cubes; 3 x 3D Organizer Cubes; 3 x small Yarn Stuff Sacks; 8 Clear Organizer Wallets; 6 x Clear Organizer Pouches; Padded Organizer Pouch; Pocket Pouch; #4 Knitting Pouch; Cafe Messenger Stabilizer.

Gorgeous photos! The colors are amazing and scenery so beautiful. Thanks for sharing this. So glad you didn't miss this opportunity! What a shame that would have been. I totally agree about the Side Effect. It is the perfect "on-the-go" bag... it holds so much, but in such a way that isn't bulky or unsightly, and keeps everything safe and easy to access. Have a great summer and thanks again for brightening up my day!
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0