• 2 Post By holoholo
  • 3 Post By holoholo
  • 2 Post By holoholo
  • 5 Post By hibell
  • 1 Post By holoholo
  • 1 Post By holoholo

Thread: TB on Kauai

TB on Kauai

This year, our annual island hopping took us to Kauai.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Did the usual packing for this weekend excursion. Tri-Star and Ristretto for the 3 day trip. It's always so easy now. The most time consuming aspect of packing nowdays is what electronic gear to bring along, and then finding the cables that go with it. I spend more time charging things and uploading movies and music for the trip, and usually never watch or listen that much. One strange thing I did for this trip was pack a portable fan in my Tri-Star, since I had so much extra space. Now if only TB made a golf bag to take along on my annual golf trips.
    backpack and nsh like this.

Now I'm craving JoJo's Shave Ice!

Is that Waimea Canyon?
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicTiki View Post
    Is that Waimea Canyon?
    I'll answer for HoloHolo. The first two and the last are Waimea Canyon. The middle two, with ocean in view, are looking down the Kalalau Valley on the Na'Pali coast. The overlook to Kalalau Valley is at the end of the road along the Waimea Canyon. Kalalau Valley and much of the Na'Pali coast are on the "back" side of the major ridge line that forms one boundary of the canyon. Absolutely spectacular scenery there.

And JoJo's Shave Ice, for those who might be traveling to Kauai in the future, is a shack in Waimea town. It is the perfect stop on the way "home" after a day at the top of Waimea Canyon, especially if you hike one of the excellent trails in Koke'e State Park.

Thank you Autolycus that is correct. We didn't stop for shave ice in Waimea, instead we went to Ishihara Market for:
    nsh likes this.

for a different perspective, this is Kalalau Valley from the ocean. The other pics are of the Na Pali coastline and the island of Niihau. I can highly recommend the boat tour, as the scenery was spectacular. If you get seasick, do take precautions as the ride can get rough.

Name:  tbrout1.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  438.5 KBThought I'd also show what was inside the Ristretto. On the plane, the packable windbreaker was replaced with a galaxy tab2 - the small 7" one, I hardly used it on this trip, but I did use the windbreaker. Had a clear organizer pouch with meds and first aid stuff, an extra small clear organizer pouch with wipes and nail clippers and other misc. stuff, extra small pouch that had my extra camera batteries and sd cards, 2 cameras, sony hx7v and panasonic ts3 (waterproof), portable charger, iPhone, tissue, small light, and my fav. water bottle (filled with diet pepsi). Took me a long time to find that thermos (JNI-400), actually picked it up in Japan. Holds around 16oz., is thinner than a soda can, about the size of a beer bottle - very comfortable size. It is insulated as well, so it keeps things cold the entire day without sweating.

also a shot of the tristar with a 8" portable fan packed.
    Darcy and hibell like this.

The ristretto makes a great day bag - even when you don't need to carry a tablet.

I like the look of the drink bottle - The product description for it that I found says "one touch flip open" - is it secure enough to carry without risk of coming open in your bag? (I'm looking for a new slim insulated bottle, not happy with my current one)
    List under construction ....

My Contribution

My Pics from our annual trip. I brought along my Synapse 19 (original) and my Western Flyer. As usual I over packed.

Also, to the TB crew...all my pics are available for you to include in the Flickr TB.

All our bags on arrival.
    Name:  New Image 2 (Medium).jpg
Views: 508
Size:  125.9 KB

My bags - on arrival and departure. Synapse is actually packing less going back home.
    Name:  New Image 3 (Medium).jpg
Views: 533
Size:  91.5 KB

Pic from our friend's camera. Me (at a very short 4'11") using the Synapse 19 my EDC hiking down to get a better view spot for Kalalau Valley.
    Name:  New Image (Medium).jpg
Views: 556
Size:  70.2 KB

Same spot as holoholo's ristretto. Told him I found the perfect spot for a TB shot.
    Name:  New Image 1 (Medium).jpg
Views: 585
Size:  188.5 KB

Last pic is supposed to be rotated clockwise. My difficult path for the TB shot. There was an easier way that I didn't see until I was there.
    Last edited by hibell; 06-02-2013 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    The ristretto makes a great day bag - even when you don't need to carry a tablet.

I like the look of the drink bottle - The product description for it that I found says "one touch flip open" - is it secure enough to carry without risk of coming open in your bag? (I'm looking for a new slim insulated bottle, not happy with my current one)
    Daisy,

Yes, its very secure, so long as the latch is "up". Even when its not, its still fairly secure, as the trip before I had accidentally left it unlatched once. The US version is a bit larger in size and cheaper. I had been looking for a slim design for so long and was just lucky I happened to spot this at a department store. Cost about $25 usd there, Amazon has it for a bit more.

The ristretto has been my trusted edc bag when traveling. Has enough room for essentials plus a bit more.
    Almost upgraded to the newer version, but when I thought about it, just can't beat the original design (for my use).
    Last edited by holoholo; 06-02-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Yes, I must thank Hibell for finding such a great photo spot

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0