Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By RhoFro
  • 1 Post By bchaplin
  • 1 Post By daisy

Thread: Bihn in Budapest

Cool Bihn in Budapest

Over the last two weeks in Hungary, I can't count the number of times we sang the praises of Tom Bihn - in particular, the unexpected HERO of the trip - the packing cube/backpack.

After the first 12-hour day covering the World Show, the Ego unfortunately proved too uncomfortable and the PCB stepped up to the plate to become my go-to gear for the remainder of our visit. I was able to put the equipment in the bottom, the MCB on top, and wear everything I needed on my back for the hectic long days with transportation by tram, subway, city bus and train. So the item I bought as a last minute after thought became the star performer. If I had the Synapse, I would have been golden.

The MCB I was going to return for a Large went along "just in case" and was immediately put into use daily! I couldn't believe how much it carried. I could easily fit a Side Effect loaded with the Bihn wallet, my passport, cell phone and important stuff tethered inside the MCB as well as a water bottle, pocket camera, tablet and more. My café bag spent a lot of time at cafes in Budapest and Vienna.

We took an evening train to Vienna for an overnight visit with the Tri-Star (my friend & I each had one). Since we didn't know if we could stow luggage at the hotel during our day's walking tour, we were prepared to pop out the backpack straps - Bihn makes 'on the go' travel so accessible. Turns out the hotel held our bags so out came the PCB (for me, my friend opted to walk with the Tri-Star) and off we went to the Spanish Riding School to watch the Lipizzaner stallion's morning exercises and then miles and miles of city walking. My feet may have had enough but the comfort of carrying all my gear was outstanding.

The Travel Tray, needless to say, was in constant use. The organizing pouches were priceless for keeping documents, money and receipts sorted. I took 2 Snake Charmers; one for all the charging cables and another as our first aid kit.

On the way out, I packed the Tri-Star with my "hand carry" fragile items (a lot of local pottery I had purchased) and the basics I needed - cosmetics, protein bars, etc for the 14 hour trip home. To my horror, I was told that it would have to be checked luggage as everyone only got to carry a purse on the flight from Budapest to Vienna. Now my Ego became the hero, fitting (astonishingly) not only my camera gear which has been it's main task, but also the fragile pottery. What a life saver. The Tri-Star came through the ordeal unscathed and I didn't even have time to pack away the Absolute strap.

Took a few photos of our bags on the trip.

Name:  Bihn at the World Show in Budapest.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  139.2 KB

My packing cube/backpack, medium café bag and my friend's Ristretto in front of the Press Box at the World Dog Show 2013 in Budapest.

Name:  Tri-Star on RailJet to Austria.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  53.9 KB

My Tri-Star on an overnight to Austria by train.

Name:  Tri-Star at the Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof_Austria.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  99.5 KB

In the lobby of the Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof, Vienna.

Name:  All the Luggage.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  114.2 KB

My Ego & Tri-Star in the middle, dwarfed by my friend's titanic rollers. There's another Tri-Star and the Ristretto in there somewhere ;)

Name:  MCB on board a Euro flight.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  96.2 KB

Barely room for my MCB on the flight from Budapest to Amsterdam.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Thanks for sharing! You reminded me of a trip to Hungary two years ago. It was wonderful. We did so much walking, and enjoyed the wonderful people and amazing food.

What airline did you fly that you could only take a purse onboard? Let me know so I can avoid that one on future Europe travels.

The airline was KLM and honestly, based on the microspace available (the MCB is not big!), I can see why they were making everyone check bags. I was glad I bought the Tri-Star in ballistic instead of dyneema just in case this happened. It came through 2 legs and 5,000 miles back home without a blemish.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

After checking many airlines serving Europe, I quickly found out that they had a 3 tier baggage allowance and seat space depending on the departure and arrival continent.

I came to the conclusion that, within Europe, the distances are better suited for train and bus travel.
    One can spice up the journey and add bikes, boats and horses...
    Or just play it safe by renting a car, or using the services of a driving guide in the U.K, or the rest of Europe, depending on the driving side of one's country of origin.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-29-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I came to the conclusion that, within Europe, the distances are better suited for train and bus travel.
    One can spice up the journey and add bikes, boats and horses...
    Or just play it safe by renting a car, or using the services of a driving guide in the U.K, or the rest of Europe, depending on the driving side of one's country of origin.
    That's what we did a couple years ago - flew into London then trains/ferries/rental cars around UK/France/Spain/Belgium .. Belgium was a day trip from Paris .. which still cracks me up ...

A fly on the wall of our hire car would have been amused though .... The beloved driving and me going "keep right, keep right, keep right .... " at every corner..... We did hire a 'tour by locals' guide for the Normandy beaches, he drove our hire car and was able to find all the good parking etc while we gawked.

Sometimes time constraints mean you have to fly though ... those high speed trains don't quite go to enough places yet. Glad to hear stories of the TB bags coming through unscathed.
    List under construction ....

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0