Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree23Likes
  • 7 Post By autolycus
  • 1 Post By ScottS
  • 2 Post By bunchgrass
  • 2 Post By backpack
  • 5 Post By autolycus
  • 6 Post By autolycus

Thread: Nordic Smart Alec + modular pockets

Nordic Smart Alec + modular pockets

I snapped a few quick daylight photos for everyone's reference with regard to both the color of Nordic dyneema in daylight and the overall appearance of the dyneema Smart Alec.

First is just the SA.
    Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  51.4 KB
    Second has both modular pockets added. Unfortunately the modular pockets that came with my order were nordic rather than steel--I have emailed customerservice to address it and am awaiting a response.
    Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  51.0 KB
    The third was for me to see if the steel modular pockets would look better to my eye, as I had originally thought. I created the effect by putting a steel aeronaut end pocket packing cube over the lower modular pocket. It's a poor effort because it was done hastily, but I think it served its purposes of the color comparison well enough.
    Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  50.8 KB
    It did confirm my thoughts. I prefer the two-tone look. An even stronger contrast like Iberian, Wasabi, or Ultraviolet might be quite nice too, but the steel/nordic combination is a good look, IMO. I imagine the reverse combination (Steel SA, nordic modular pockets) would also work well.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) ScottS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    Second has both modular pockets added. Unfortunately the modular pockets that came with my order were nordic rather than steel--I have emailed customerservice to address it and am awaiting a response.
    Great pics! We have sent your Steel Dyneema Upper and Lower Pockets today! Sorry for the mix up! Please send us another set of pics when you have your new pockets!
    Scott Schweiger
    TOM BIHN Shipping Department
    Original Designs Made in USA Since 1972
    www.tombihn.com

U.S. 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: 206-652-4123
    4750A Ohio Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98134 USA
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

I have the nordic/UV SCB. A nordic SA with UV modular pockets would be quite striking - in a good way.

I am having loads of trouble not ordering the Lower Modular Pocket in both Steel and Nordic.

Nordic, well it's blue! And thus goes with most, if not all, my Tom Bihn Bags and it is a water bottle holder for the time I don't carry my Synapse. Yes, it happens.

Steel, it is the staple color, so I can always let the husband unit borrow my Dynneema items in Steel because of that. Furthermore, it hides spills and handles casual as well as dress up time like a champ!

Our water bottle holder is cute but doesn't look good on me, the strap is too short.

Furthermore, it cannot be used in a formal setting like an interview (too casual).

I need a water bottle holder in our ultra hot summers. :)

Post explains why Darcy like customer pictures, they tempt other customers.

Very clever! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Great pics! We have sent your Steel Dyneema Upper and Lower Pockets today! Sorry for the mix up! Please send us another set of pics when you have your new pockets!
    Thanks for getting the replacements out. I will definitely post pictures with the steel ones on the bag.

Box arrived today with the Steel Modular Pockets and a new order with Wasabi/wasabi and Navy/Iberian Side Effects. I snapped a couple photos of the Smart Alec with the Steel Dyneema/nylon. It was a little later in the day than the last set, but the sun was still high enough that the color of the light should be pretty similar -- have to worry about these things with the iPhone as a camera!

Name:  Nordic SA w Steel Modular Pockets2.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  224.9 KB

Name:  Nordic SA w Steel Modular Pockets1.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  250.2 KB

I'll be sending the Nordic Modular Pockets back tomorrow, but if anybody wants any other photos of the Smart Alec or the Steel Modular Pockets, let me know and I'll happily add them to this thread.

Nice photos! Love the contrasting modular pockets.

Autolycus, I don't have a Smart Alec, would you mind posting a picture of the Lower Pocket next to another one of your Tom Bihn Bags? A Large Cafe Bag for example?

I also would not mind a Lower Pocket in UV! :)

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Autolycus, I don't have a Smart Alec, would you mind posting a picture of the Lower Pocket next to another one of your Tom Bihn Bags? A Large Cafe Bag for example?

I also would not mind a Lower Pocket in UV! :)
    No cafe bags here, so you'll have to make do with the following photos of the modular pockets--mostly the lower one--with the two day bags I have. I also have an aeronaut, but I didn't think that would be a useful comparison. If you'd like that comparison, just let me know. I snapped these this morning before I had boxed up the nordic pockets to return, and I thought the nordic would show up a little better against my other steel bags.

First up, the small family photo, Steel Cordura Synapse 19, Steel Dyneema Co-Pilot, Navy/Iberian Side Effect (to match my Aeronaut), both modular pockets in steel and the lower nordic.

Name:  modular pockets with synapse and copilot.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  154.8 KB

Next is just the lower modular pocket between the Synapse and Co-Pilot.

Name:  lower modular pocket with synapse and copilot.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  151.8 KB

And finally a shot of the Co-Pilot and both of the lower modular pockets so you have a good look at the depth and width of them. The Co-Pilot is essentially empty and the main pocket is pretty flat, but the front pockets look about right for them holding a small point and shoot camera or sunglass case. Actually, I think a fair approximation of their size relative to the co-pilot is that they're a touch taller, are about half as wide (so front side pocket plus half of the water bottle pocket) and they're about as deep as the front half of the Co-Pilot.

Name:  lower modular pockets co-pilot.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  152.6 KB

I'll add a couple of other notes about the lower modular pocket that might not be obvious from these photos: First, even on the dyneema version, the bottom and "back"--the side that is against the Smart Alec--are black cordura to match the pattern of the Smart Alec itself. Second, there is a small pocket against the "back", mirroring the inside pouch of the Smart Alec. Nice design touches to have the lower modular pocket mirror the main bag in such a way. This inside pocket/pouch is mentioned and shown on the product page.

Also a bit of mirroring on the upper modular pocket: the "side" panels that the zipper is attached to are black cordura, so there's that bit of different color and texture. If that's not clear what I'm describing, check out the detail photos of the modular pockets. It's shown nicely on the steel ballistic pocket.

Thank You So Very Much!

I just said Large Cafe Bag because I didn't remember what other bags you have.

But, the addition of the very popular Synapse 19, which I own and Co-Pilot; which ownership I cannot, yet, justify, but played with, at the factory; and is a staple of the forum population, is spot on!

Those are really really good pictures!

The scale is wonderfully rendered. You were right, Nordic contrast nicely with the other colors.

Would you mind taking a picture of yourself, carrying the Lower Modular Pocket with the Absolute Strap? (if it is even possible)

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Would you mind taking a picture of yourself, carrying the Lower Modular Pocket with the Absolute Strap? (if it is even possible)
    Hmm... I'm not sure there's a practical, or even easy, way to do it. The gatekeeper clips are permanently attached to the modular pocket so they'd have to be cut to be removed. They're 1" gatekeepers, so they can't be used to attach to the absolute strap's webbing. The only way I can figure to do it without additional hardware is to clip the gatekeeper awkwardly to the metal clip bracket on the strap--don't know what else to call that part of the strap. The metal clip on the strap does not fit into the gatekeeper.

Thank You So Much!

So, it would have to be carried with the Simple Strap that is like a very long Keystrap and clips into all the 3DPouches and the Side Effect to turn them into purses.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0