• 8 Post By Walker
  • 2 Post By Walker
  • 7 Post By Walker
  • 1 Post By Walker
  • 6 Post By ncb4
  • 1 Post By drbobguy

Thread: New Side Effect Review

New Side Effect Review

Okay, so I ordered a new Aubergrine Side Effect, which came in my Alamo-decorated box (see my other thread.)

Upon opening the box I was struck by how sturdy the Side Effect seemed. And how unassuming it seemed.

Name:  100_1536_zpsa47e2f77.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  99.9 KB

I opened it up to reveal the Wasabi interior

Name:  100_1538_zpscfade71e.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  86.4 KB

Now I bought the Side Effect so it could act as a portable purse-- one that would hold my stuff when I did not need a larger bag. Mostly for travel and for work- I figured I could throw the Side Effect into my work laptop case (which I pln to replace soon with a Synapse 25) and be carrying one less bag. So when I need my things I can just pull it out and drop it in the canvas bag that I use for class, or so I could contain my personal stuff while traveling. So here's the stuff that will regularily go into the Side Effect.

Name:  100_1537_zpsd3188565.jpg
Views: 1540
Size:  76.1 KB

My Wallet (which I attach with a key strap), phone, business cards, checkbook, pen, lipstick and lip balm, a snack bar, Epi-Pen, pack of Kleenex and my trusty bottle of Tylenol (its allergy season, okay)

Name:  100_1542_zps6fdb60f9.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  75.6 KB

Here it is with everything stuffed in it (The Epi-Pen is at the bottom)

My keys fit handily in the front pocket, where there is an o-ring to attach them to.

Everything fits well- I plan to use it more as a purse, and I took a picture of that-- I will add it as a reply since it says I have maxed out my attachments per post-quota, but overall, I really love it. It looks nicer and neater than I expected, and it balances nicely too-- especially when stuffed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

And here is the last picture (please ignore the mess behind me- I had to set the camera on the timer and try to get a decent shot-- it took a few attempts.)
    Name:  100_1551_zpsd7ecdae3.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  87.4 KB

I'm not a very big woman- probably of average height (5'5) and weight, but the Side Effect looks nice on me- and the little shoulder strap that is included works great- you don't need anything beefier for something this small. Overall I am super pleased in terms of first impressions. I will post an update once I have used it for a few days.

Thanks for posting pics. I wish the inside was steel, but I don't think I have the patience to wait to see if that color combination will ever be made.
    RhoFro likes this.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

[I get to keep the navy/iberian and wasabi (which I will use a large 3D cube). The other 2 are saved for holiday presents. This is the first time I see the aubergine/wasabi and steel dyneema/wasabi combinations. They are beautiful.

My Galaxy Note @ is too tall for the pockets in the main compartment. The outside zippered pocket is a great place for it.
    Name:  Side Effects.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  173.4 KB

I also ordered a navy/iberian and an aubergine wasabi side effects shiiped to friends for their birthdays. I requested box art since I was too lazy to go buy and mail birthday cards:

Name:  Happy birthday.JPG
Views: 2089
Size:  120.5 KB

My friends love them (side effects and box art). Thank you, TB artist and crew!

I used my new side effect on my walk today. But, I used the Steel Dyneema/Wasabi not the Navy/Iberian. The tags are off the former, so I am keeping it. Why did I pick the Steel Dyneema/Wasabi over my favorite Navy/Iberian? Weight. According to the product specs, the weight difference between the dyneema and ballistic side effects is 1.8 oz/50 g does not seem like much, but enough for me to pick the Steel Dyneema/Wasabi. P.S. The steel dyneema is the 200D. I like the triangles in the design.

I practiced loading the bags + a steel dyneema 3D cube, which has been my walking bag till today:

Attachment 3743

In the Navy/Iberian Side Effect:

Attachment 3744

In the Steel Dyneema/Wasabi side Effect:

Attachment 3745

And in the Steel Dyneema 3D Cube:

Name:  P1000157.JPG
Views: 1176
Size:  164.9 KB

Comments pn next post because I keep losing this post :(

The ballistic Side Effect looked slim and sharp loaded; the dyneema Side Effect bulged due to the shape of my eyeglass case. The 3D cube does not bulge because the fit is fairly tight. Not shown in the photo, but I cut off the hook in the 3D cube, filed it smooth. I left the triangle piece to clip things to. In the photo my keys on an indigo key strap is clipped to it.

I really like the 3D cube for walking. Its waterproof zipper has saved me once when I got caught in a downpour. I wish it had a divider to keep my Galaxy Note (or other gadgets with a screen) separate from keys and other items that could scratch the screen. I wrap my phone in a TB screen cloth when I put it in the 3D cube although I did not do it in the photo above.

In the Side Effects, I put my Galaxy Note 2 in the outside pocket. With all the items I loaded in them today, my old Galaxy Tablet 7" tall x 4-3/4" wide x 3/16" thick fits also. I do not carry my Galaxy Tablet on walks.

Overall, I am very happy my Steel Dyneema/Wasabi Side Effect.

So I am now seriously considering contacting the wonderful folks at TB Customer service to change my pending order of Synpase 19 in Navy/Iberian to Steel Dyneema. Per the product specs, the weight difference between the cordura and dyneema Synapse 19 is 35 grams. Does not seem like much, but several "not much" is what gets my bags to get heavier than I care to tote.
    ncb4 and Lara like this.

Here are the first 3 photos missing from the first post I keep losing my post, not sure why.

I practiced loading the bags + a steel dyneema 3D cube, which has been my walking bag till today:

Name:  P1000154.JPG
Views: 1222
Size:  161.9 KB

In the Navy/Iberian Side Effect:

Name:  P1000155.JPG
Views: 1325
Size:  164.6 KB

In the Steel Dyneema/Wasabi side Effect:

Name:  P1000156.JPG
Views: 1200
Size:  168.7 KB

Hi Walker,
    Thanks for the pics of the SE and the 3D Dymeema pouch. They look great! Can you please tell me if the 3D pouch is similar in size to the SE?
    Thanks again! :)

@WenV, the SE is longer and a bit higher, but same thickness as the dyneema 3D cube. If you look at the product specs, the SE measures 8.6" long x 4.3" high x 2" thick. The dyneema 3D cube is 7" long x 5" high, also 2" thick.

Empty, the dyneema 3D cube "sits up" and retains its slim profile better compared to the dyneema SE. I guess the shorter length and the stiff waterproof zipper helps do that. The SE has regular zippers.

I packed same amount of stuff in the SE and 3D cube in the photos. The extra length of the SE was unused.

On my walk today, I put a 16.9 oz/500 ml Nestle water bottle in the SE in addition to the stuff in the photo. It laid flat at the bottom of the bag, keys and sunglass case on top. A few steps from my door, I did not like the weight distribution. So I took the water bottle out of the bag and just carried it in my hand. It was nice to put the bottle in the bag instead of holding on to it when it was empty.

Oh - you only asked about size. :) :)

My Aubergine Side Effect arrived yesterday, and as promised, I tried to put my iPad Mini inside. The Mini is in a very slim case, but even so, it doesn't fit. :( I'm not comfortable carrying the Mini around without a case, but I tried that, too. Although it doesn't stick out the top of the SE quite as much, it's still not possible to slide the zipper around it. So although I love love love my Side Effect, I'm not going to be able to carry my Mini around in it. Now a Kindle Paperwhite might fit...if I end up ordering one for outdoor reading. [Otherwise, I love my Mini as an e-reader, much better than the Kindle Touch I used to have.]

Name:  P1010524.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  595.1 KB

I'm also including a photo of the old-design SE in Plum alongside the new-design SE in Aubergine. I love both colors, but the Aubergine speaks to me even more. So if any of you purple lovers (you know who you are) would like a Plum SE, PM me. I'd be willing to part with mine.

I do like the new design. With the tuck-in waistband gone, the new SE has a much slimmer profile, even when fully loaded. I like that. Both the new and old versions seem to hold similar amounts of stuff, which makes sense since they have the exact same dimensions, but the new SE seems to contain the bulk better. It's been interesting to read your posts, @Walker, about the differences you've noted in this regard betweeen the Ballistic and Dyneema SEs.

The one thing I do miss is having the TB logo in the center of the front panel, though I understand the rationale for doing that.

But congratulations to the TB crew for another home run; I love this bag, and use it daily. Now if you ever bring back Indigo, I may have to replace my old-design Indigo SE as well!

~Nancy

Name:  P1010517.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  441.5 KB

I definitely like the logo gone. I don't mind the TB logo, but it stood out too much on the previous SE for my liking.

I have a Google Nexus 7 tablet and it fits just fine in the new side effect. I think it's about the same height as the ipad mini, but narrower, so that explains the fit.
    TXGirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    @WenV, the SE is longer and a bit higher, but same thickness as the dyneema 3D cube. If you look at the product specs, the SE measures 8.6" long x 4.3" high x 2" thick. The dyneema 3D cube is 7" long x 5" high, also 2" thick.

Empty, the dyneema 3D cube "sits up" and retains its slim profile better compared to the dyneema SE. I guess the shorter length and the stiff waterproof zipper helps do that. The SE has regular zippers.

I packed same amount of stuff in the SE and 3D cube in the photos. The extra length of the SE was unused.

On my walk today, I put a 16.9 oz/500 ml Nestle water bottle in the SE in addition to the stuff in the photo. It laid flat at the bottom of the bag, keys and sunglass case on top. A few steps from my door, I did not like the weight distribution. So I took the water bottle out of the bag and just carried it in my hand. It was nice to put the bottle in the bag instead of holding on to it when it was empty.

Oh - you only asked about size. :) :)
    Thanks very much for your detailed info.... That was very helpful as I never thought to use the 3D cube as a waist pouch too. I like that it has the waterproof zip covers. I am undecided whether to get both or just the SE.

Actually, you read my question very well as I also meant in volume as well? Thank you so much again! :)

Quote Originally Posted by WenV View Post
    .... That was very helpful as I never thought to use the 3D cube as a waist pouch too. I like that it has the waterproof zip covers. I am undecided whether to get both or just the SE. :)
    @WenV, the 3D cube does NOT have the option to be worn as a waist pouch.

I don't think you will be sorry if you purchased both SE and 3D cube. If you decide that the 3D cube is too small as a bag, it makes a great pouch. If you purchase both, you don't need to purchase the shoulder strap for 3D cube. You can just move the shoulder strap from your SE to the 3D cube. The shoulder strap is sold as an additional purchase option if buying the 3D cube; shoulder strap comes with the SE; the waist strap is sold as an additional option purchase when buying the SE (or if you have that came with the 1" waist strap - you can use those).

I purchased the extra shoulder strap because I just hang the bags behind my door by the shoulder strap. I don't use waist pouches.

Good luck with your decision-making.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    @WenV, the 3D cube does NOT have the option to be worn as a waist pouch.

I don't think you will be sorry if you purchased both SE and 3D cube. If you decide that the 3D cube is too small as a bag, it makes a great pouch. If you purchase both, you don't need to purchase the shoulder strap for 3D cube. You can just move the shoulder strap from your SE to the 3D cube. The shoulder strap is sold as an additional purchase option if buying the 3D cube; shoulder strap comes with the SE; the waist strap is sold as an additional option purchase when buying the SE (or if you have that came with the 1" waist strap - you can use those).

I purchased the extra shoulder strap because I just hang the bags behind my door by the shoulder strap. I don't use waist pouches.

Good luck with your decision-making.
    Thanks for your advice, Walker! I'm very tempted to get both but for now definitely the Dyneema SE. :)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0