Like Tree22Likes
  • 10 Post By dnarud13
  • 2 Post By cucciasv
  • 8 Post By dnarud13
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By dnarud13

Thread: TB in Italy...

Cool TB in Italy...

First outing for my new Co-Pilot: Dinner at Ai Sette Santi, on Monte Berico, overlooking Vicenza. Holds everything I need, safely. I'll take a pic of what I carry and post up later. Typical TB flawless quality; 3D cubes are just the thing for the two pockets in the main compartment.

Name:  TB CP small.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  762.3 KB
    Last edited by dnarud13; 04-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag
    - - - - Various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

What to Tale to Italia

Speaking of Italy... as I prepare for my annual trip there in about a month, I am torn about which of my thousands of TB bags to take. Ironically (to dnarud13's post here), I have been thinking of settling on my Co-Pilot (Black/Steel) as my personal item/EDC bag. It served me remarkably well as my constant companion during a week-long hospital stay a year ago.

And now, for my main carry-on, I have to decide between my Aeronaut (Steel/Ultraviolet), my Smart Alec (Black/Navy/Iberian), and my newly pre-ordered Synapse 25 (Navy/Iberian)!! ... er... if it arrives on time!

Unfortunately, I also need to schlepp around a C-PAP machine... I do have a smallish one for travel, tho.

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

JonP and nsh like this.

Trying to decide which TB bag to take is definitely a First World Problem (and one that I applaud and share!).

I have a bad case of the "new and shiny" so I will vote that you take the Synapse25...and the Co-Pilot!

Update with my daily loadout (not including the Sony point-n-shoot use to take the pic). The CP would hold twice this if I wished to stuff it...

Name:  Co-Pilot load out resize.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  642.1 KB
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)

Since I just got this I'm still adjusting my setup. As much as I like the fine leather passport wallet my daughter gave me for Christmas, I figured I had wasted space in my clear org wallet and so moved business and credit cards to that and put my pp in the RFID blocking pouch where it will be safer. It's now in the main compartment behind the Cache, giving me more room in the front compartment.

So, a listing:
    Surface RT with Typecover, Contigo 16oz autoseal tumbler.
    (I followed a recommendation to get different textured/colored pouches to aid in differentiation.
    - In the clear 3D pouch; stuff that I want a little extra moisture protection: V-Moda ear buds & Samsung bt xmitter for earbuds, MS Wedge bt mouse, Veho action video recorder, retractable mini-usb, optical wipes, various sd cards & reader.
    - Lumia 920, coin purse, mints, Sony DSC-TX20 waterproof camera.
    - Streamlight ProTac 2L on Utility strap, business/credit cards & Tool Logic in the Org Wallet, Plantronics M100 bt headset, office keys (which will be going on a 16" strap when it arrives), pen/stylus, tripod for camera.
    - In the mesh 3D - Surface wall charger, micro usb wall charger, 3.5mm patch cable, camera usb cable, tweezers.

Most of this is stuff that I kept in the Snake Charmer in my BB and pulled for my new EDC setup. I'll be adjusting a few things, like a USB car charger, as I get used to this over time.
    Last edited by dnarud13; 04-08-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cucciasv View Post
    Speaking of Italy...

And now, for my main carry-on, I have to decide between my Aeronaut (Steel/Ultraviolet)
    My vote is for Aeronaut, of course. Space has a luxury all its own.

Quote Originally Posted by dnarud13 View Post
    My vote is for Aeronaut, of course. Space has a luxury all its own.
    After an extended trip with my second Aeronaut and the (new to me) Tristar, I can compare with the numerous trips I made with my Brain Bags.

The need to carry the CPAP make the Smart Alec or the Synapse/ Co-Pilot pair much easier to handle than the wonderful but really big and uneasy to get things out quickly Aeronaut.

I don't know about Italy's weather in May but last month snowy/freezing, sunny/freezing, rainy/cold then back to sunny/freezing weather and steaming hot or really cold cars, planes and airports made me wish I had used the Tristar, and its very handy middle pocket and top zippers, for myself as well.

There is nothing more uncomfortable than being sweaty or shivering while travelling.

According to many forum members the Smart Alec has roughly the capacity of the Tristar. Even my big framed clothes would have fit in the Tristar so there is not problem fitting anybody's wardrobe in the Smart Alec or the Synapse 25 (if of a medium or small frame)

My computer bag was the Synapse 19 and my purse the SCB (hidden in the Aeronaut for the departure trip)

The Synapse 19 is the best EDC and it is also flawless as a Travel Computer Bag, it can fit loads of things of many textures and shapes (it helps if said things are corralled inside the lightweight, slick so they are easy to get on or off, beautiful Dyneema Accessories).

It is just perfect!

In conclusion, for you, I believe, the Smart Alec and the Co-Pilot would be the winning pair, if Spring weather decide to play winter again or you want to take or bring back stuff or the Synapse 25, if Italy's weather lives up to it's cinematic depiction and the Synapse 25 arrives on time.

Graphics

Quote Originally Posted by dnarud13 View Post
    Update with my daily loadout (not including the Sony point-n-shoot use to take the pic). The CP would hold twice this if I wished to stuff it...

Name:  Co-Pilot load out resize.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  642.1 KB
    Nice job. How do you do those graphics?
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

Quote Originally Posted by rlandis View Post
    ... How do you do those graphics?
    With a lame old program called Picture-It. It's Microsofts answer to Photoshop-lite. But it does everything I need to so I keep using it.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    ... if Italy's weather lives up to it's cinematic depiction ...
    I haven't been here long enough to now the normal weather in May, and I'm not sure where you're going... Up nort' here, near the Alps, it's been raining/40 a lot this winter interspersed with sunny/65. (Compared to Wyoming, this place is weather boring. Now that place was atmospherically psychotic!) We're supposed to be sunny and 70 this upcoming weekend and this has been a cold year so far, according to the locals. So May should probably be 60-80. Now, the further south you go, it just gets warmer. Firenze has pretty much been consistantly 5 degF warmer than here; Roma & Napoli probably another 5-10 beyond that.

And with the latest TB box, a further adjustment...

Name:  IMG_1946.JPG
Views: 736
Size:  76.5 KB
    lomo likes this.

Absolutely love the pics. I will be touring Italy for my first time in late April, early May. I hope I can take my Aeronaut and CP, this would be the maiden voyage for my new Cardinal/Steel dyneema Aeronaut. I am limited to 18 # on Lufthansa. I always pack too much and this time I need to take a travellors nebulizer and paraphernalia. We are starting on Rome and ending the 11 days in Venice. I do love my CP, as I have long legs and can just slip in behind my feet!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0