Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Miking
  • 1 Post By BrianI
  • 3 Post By Miking

Thread: Wasabi and wasabi

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Posts
    303

    Wasabi and wasabi

    Wasabi packing cube backpack and it's culinary eponym, pretty good match! Name:  image.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  425.8 KB

  2. #2
    Registered User helen_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    60
    Ha ha, a good match indeed!

  3. #3
    Registered User Fat Crip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Posts
    587
    Two of my favourite things... I love nigiri with soy sauce and wasabi :D

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Posts
    303
    It is so hard to find somewhere outside of Japan that serves real wasabi rather than the seiyō wasabi (dyed horse radish, normally sold in powdered form )
    It's probably for the best westerners seem to have a different style of eating sushi, mixing wasabi with soy sauce sometimes in comical proportions! (I'm not big fan of feeling like my earwax is melting and my nose is bleeding) then dipping the rice side of the nigiri into the soy sauce/wasabi mixture using chopsticks.
    Whereas from my observations, in Japan the sushi chef places the wasabi between the fish and rice, (real wasabi loses its potency when exposed to air) and the patrons often eat with their hands with the rice rolled much looser, flipping the nigiri over and dipping only the fish side into the soy sauce without wasabi mixed in, or with takeout doing the same thing with chopsticks but with more tightly rolled rice.
    Having tried both ways I think the Japanese have it right. (Who would have thought?! Right?) You get the full flavor of the fish right on your tongue, the rice melts in your mouth, everything isn't overpowered by the soy sauce and the wasabi compliments everything and provides the perfect kick to finish it all off.
    Sorry for any midnight sushi cravings that just caused.... :p

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    It is so hard to find somewhere outside of Japan that serves real wasabi rather than the seiyō wasabi (dyed horse radish, normally sold in powdered form )
    It's probably for the best westerners seem to have a different style of eating sushi, mixing wasabi with soy sauce sometimes in comical proportions! (I'm not big fan of feeling like my earwax is melting and my nose is bleeding) then dipping the rice side of the nigiri into the soy sauce/wasabi mixture using chopsticks.
    Whereas from my observations, in Japan the sushi chef places the wasabi between the fish and rice, (real wasabi loses its potency when exposed to air) and the patrons often eat with their hands with the rice rolled much looser, flipping the nigiri over and dipping only the fish side into the soy sauce without wasabi mixed in, or with takeout doing the same thing with chopsticks but with more tightly rolled rice.
    Having tried both ways I think the Japanese have it right. (Who would have thought?! Right?) You get the full flavor of the fish right on your tongue, the rice melts in your mouth, everything isn't overpowered by the soy sauce and the wasabi compliments everything and provides the perfect kick to finish it all off.
    Sorry for any midnight sushi cravings that just caused.... :p
    Sounds like they have it down to an art

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    Sorry for any midnight sushi cravings that just caused.... :p
    Yea, right. I'll be sending you my bill.
    capncat likes this.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianI View Post
    Yea, right. I'll be sending you my bill.
    Can I invoice you for the Black/black/wasabi smart Alec with modular pockets and gatekeeper straps cravings your forum posts have caused? Cause we might just have a deal! ;)

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    Can I invoice you for the Black/black/wasabi smart Alec with modular pockets and gatekeeper straps cravings your forum posts have caused? Cause we might just have a deal! ;)
    It would be wrong of me to eat a SA+ worth of sushi. So wrong. ;)

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianI View Post
    It would be wrong of me to eat a SA+ worth of sushi. So wrong. ;)
    Just go to Masa in NYC, $450/person not including drinks or tip, booked a month in advance and you don't even get to pick what you eat!


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0