Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By helen_uk
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By helen_uk
  • 1 Post By backpack

Thread: Synapse and Cafe Bag on an overnight work trip

Synapse and Cafe Bag on an overnight work trip

Hi all,

I work from home but a few times a year I visit the office to catch up with everyone.

This trip was my first one with both my Synapse and my (medium) cafe bag.

I took my Synapse with me last time, and it was great not to have to pull my little case behind me (shaved valuable minutes off crossing London too!).

This time I wanted to take my tablet with me, so decided to use my cafe bag as my main carry bag. I used a 3D Clear Organizer Cube inside it (attached to a key strap) which worked really well for rounding up bits'n'bobs, and the little pockets within the cafe bag held my phone, lip gloss, pen, notebook, etc. I kept my train tickets in the little pouch that we were kindly sent as a gift a few months ago.

I love knowing where everything is, and when you're only taking a short trip I find it easier to 'live out of the bag' rather than unpack things.

In my Synapse I used my wasabi Clear Quarter Packing Cube to keep my toiletries in. They look so pretty together! The clear cube is so handy for seeing where my stuff is - again, without having to unpack it as such.

In the UK it's hard to pack for a short trip this time of year, as it can be so cold first thing in the morning yet really warm as the day progresses. I would definitely try out my Western Flyer next time I took a short trip this time of year.

The cafe bag has been perfect as a travel bag for keeping by 'seat stuff' by me - it has my iPad, Kindle, bits and pieces, and even fits my bottle of water. However, once I had my Synapse on my shoulders, I found it difficult to keep my cafe bag up there without slipping - so had to carry it by its grab handle. Other than that, I have been really impressed by how easily I have been able to keep my stuff organized inside it.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  469.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  421.5 KB

Wow! My Storm SBC big brother!

The secret to keep Cafe Bags and Backpacks on one's shoulder is to wear the Cafe Bag cross shoulder placint it first on one shoulder then place one Backpack strap on top of the Cafe Strap then the other Backpack strap on the other shoulder.

Everything stays in place, one can even race from one airport terminal to another with a full Brain Bag and a full Large Cafe Bag.

Years ago, when I was juggling two bags to do numerous errands in one day using public transport, the bags I used were cumbersome and the shoulder strap did not stay on and it was impossible to remove the waist strap quickly (which was needed to keep the bag on unless one stayed in the statue pose).
    Last edited by backpack; 03-05-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Aha, thanks for the advice backpack, yes that sounds a good solution. Keeps both my hands free for opening the Cafe Bag to get stuff out as well - found it a bit of a juggling act when in a shop and trying to get my money out.

Quote Originally Posted by helen_uk View Post
    Aha, thanks for the advice backpack, yes that sounds a good solution. Keeps both my hands free for opening the Cafe Bag to get stuff out as well - found it a bit of a juggling act when in a shop and trying to get my money out.
    I am almost certain that I am going to be made fun of, by family, for wearing my bag cross body.

I have front curves (so much so that I can't do the Ninja Synapse) and it accentuate them.

However, it is the most practical way to wear the Cafe Bags on errands and while riding a bike.

I went to an interview with my Plum LCB worn on the shoulder and it was quite elegant, the re-purposed marker case I used for holding my notepad, ruined the look.
    But now I have a Plum FJN and they both look fabulous together. Those two and my nice looking separates made to look like a pant suit would be a winning interview combo!

Oh by the way, I am totally stealing some of your great packing ideas for my upcoming trip!

Other forum members ideas will be put into great use as well.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-06-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0