Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By rfordut
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip
  • 2 Post By PGJohnson
  • 6 Post By cucciasv
  • 2 Post By MtnMan
  • 2 Post By celos

Thread: Smart Alec in Black/Navy - does anyone have photos?

Smart Alec in Black/Navy - does anyone have photos?

I know that there are several photos of the black/navy/iberian Smart Alec on the product info page. However, I find the navy color to be brighter in those photos than I expected. I have several Navy organizer pouches and the color does not look as bright as the photos. Maybe it's the ballistic nylon fabric that makes it brighter - all of my pouches are cordura.

I'm strongly considering this color over the more conservative black/black/wasabi. I will be using this bag for work, so I need to know if the navy is too bright for a somewhat casual professional setting. Plus black/black/wasabi is on backorder right now - and of course I have waited until the last minute to place my order before needing the bag. Regardless, there's something about the black/navy combo that is appealing to me - not to mention that iberian is the best dyneema color, in my opinion.

Does anyone have additional photos of the black/navy combo that they could share? If not, I'd welcome some insight/opinion on this color.

Thanks,
    Ryan

I can't help on the pictures because mine is black/steel. I have an old Imago that has navy but I think that would confuse the issue since I believe the colors have changed over the years.

I think we need someone to help on style guidelines for the modern office. I agree that black/black is probably the ultimate in work place professional, but this is a backpack which is something I never considered to be professional. The older I get the harder it becomes to define professional attire.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    When I ran in the corporate treadmill I would do anything to avoid the dreaded black bag! I had about 4 rucksacks in orange, yellow, brown, blue and red, plus a couple of messenger bags and a bright red Ortlieb roll bag. Mind you I generally arrived at my office in Lycra or leather depending on whether my bike was powered by 1200cc or two legs! Having said that, at the office I wore bespoke chalk-stripe suits, Church's shoes, Paul Smith or Liberty's ties and Harvey and Hudson shirts! Now it's my company we have none of that bull! Smart these days is Orvis chinos & country twill open neck shirt! :)

I've posted this image today of my ballistic navy/wasabi Ego ... it is a little different in colour from my navy cordura SCB. I wouldn't call it "bright" - it is a classy blue that IMO would look very appropriate in a business setting.

The photo isn't a particularly good one but there are a variety of colours there and they look reasonably true to life on my monitor.

I always find the colours are not quite what I expected when they arrive - but I've yet to be disappointed.
    List under construction ....

Check out the photos of the Black/Navy Brain bag. I have one and I would assume that the navy for all the bags is off of the same bolster. My navy in my Brain bag is dark.

Ballistic Navy used to be bluer and lighter than Navy Cordura. I think the Crew sold out of that batch.

Look at the pictures of the Aeronaut, many of them are in Navy.

Aeronaut - Maximum Carry-On Travel Bag. Converts to a backpack. One Bag travel. - TOM BIHN

In that video, Video: Our Materials - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington Tom handles the fabric and there is a close up of it.

In the video, Tom wears a Navy shirt, you might want to ask what kind it is, if you can find it locally it would be a great color comparison item.

If you want to know for sure, ask for fabric samples. The Crew is only an email or phone call away!

Note that you could also buy Ballistic Nylon Organizer Pouches - Organizer pouches made of U.S. 1050d high tenacity ballistic nylon - TOM BIHN
    Last edited by backpack; 02-14-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Also, remember photographic images and the color in them are subject to many variables (light source, color temperature, the cameras saturation and tint settings...). My olive green Synapse can look like the photo here on the website or, especially outside, a darker richer green. However the Synapse is made of a material (I believe) than the Smart Alec. Even so, I think the same principles with regards to light and photography apply.

Name:  IMG_9684-1.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  263.6 KBName:  P1020080.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  532.3 KB
    Darcy and cucciasv like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rfordut View Post
    Does anyone have additional photos of the black/navy combo that they could share?
    Thanks,
    Ryan
    Hey, Ryan ... got a couple of pics for you while visiting Rehoboth Beach, Delaware for Valentine's Day. Here's my Smart Alec in Black/Navy (with Iberian Dyneema)...

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

Name:  IMG_0500-LO.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  124.8 KBName:  IMG_0501-LO.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  138.6 KB
    Last edited by cucciasv; 02-17-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Oh, wow! I love seeing people actually wearing Tom Bihn wares. It gives you a new appreciation for them. Thanks for sharing.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Oh, wow! I love seeing people actually wearing Tom Bihn wares. It gives you a new appreciation for them. Thanks for sharing.
    Cucciasv,

Thanks for posting the pics. The sunlight helps me see the colors much better. I actually couldn't see the upper modular pocket until i zoomed in closely. I guess that's a good thing because you want the pocket to blend in. Any insight into how well the pocket works and if you are happy with the addition?

I actually found a ballistic nylon organizer pouch that they included as a gift one year for July 4th. It's navy and i forgot I had it since it only stores my passport. I think the color combo black/navy is a good compromise for work - not too flashy or formal.

Thanks to everyone else for helping too. I hope to place an order today if I can figure out the accessories I need to add.

Quote Originally Posted by rfordut View Post
    Any insight into how well the pocket works and if you are happy with the addition?
    I like the Upper Modular Pocket (same Navy as the Smart Alec's body). I primarily use it to store my glasses case and things that will be needed close at hand (or, should I say, close at neck) during an excursion. Also, when my wife is with me, she can quickly get into the Pocket if she needs to (since she won't fit in there, I take it that the meaning is understood).

I have to be careful, though. A couple of times, when I first received the SA with Pocket, I had some cables and smallish things in the Pocket. I had placed the bag on the floor of a classroom I was teaching in, after having taken out my laptop and other materials. I also took my glasses out of the Pocket and left it open AND the Smart Alec was left open. At some point, the weight of the Pocket caused the unzipped SA opening to flop over, dumping the contents of the Pocket.

Hasn't happened since, as I have gotten used to keeping the Pocket closed. I also now have a couple of small Organizer Pouches on a Strap inside the Pocket. They hold the really small items. Should have done this from the start.

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

I think you already got your answer thanks to cucciasv's post, but here are a couple of the Smart Alec from this past weekend, hiking at Las Trampas Regional Wilderness. Name:  smart-alec-1.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  427.8 KB Name:  smart-alec-2.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  699.9 KB
    Darcy and BrianI like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0