Like Tree12Likes
  • 12 Post By Seikoguy

Thread: It was a dreary Seattle afternoon....

It was a dreary Seattle afternoon....

But a quick visit to the TB store helped brighten my day. As soon as I picked up my rental car from SeaTac airport, I headed right over. You can see my Aubergine Ristretto and Tri-Star in the trunk.

Name:  tb1.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  256.8 KB

The catch of the day was a Steel Cadet with the discontinued Solar Dyneema interior. Yesssss!! Bo, the nice helpful gentleman up front put that aside for me for when I place my next order online. I also had a chance to examine the bags with the 400D Dyneema fabric and they appear a lot more durable that I originally thought. I look forward to getting a couple of bags using this fine fabric in my next order.

is that a golf or a nissan leaf or something else, the car i mean. thanks. curious.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

It looks like a Porsche to me.

Congrats on scoring the steel / solar Cadet. I recently picked up the black / steel Cadet and I'm really impressed with it. I don't think solar was ever available on the black Cadet, and while I debated the virtues of the iberian interior with myself, it went out of stock. Regardless, I've used the Cadet around town and on its first business trip this week, and I have yet to find anything to quibble about. On first impressions I thought the handles might be too thin to be comfortable (I'm coming from an Empire Builder), but that hasn't been the case at all. I'm using a 15/13 Cadet with 15" MBP Cache for my 14" Lenovo T410 with extended battery, and it's worked perfectly in checkpoint friendly mode at the airport.

Did your Cadet come with yellow Ultrasuede? How close a match is it to the solar interior? I saw some review photos of the iberian dyneema with yellow Ultrasuede, and the combination seemed discordant. I was expecting yellow Ultrasuede with my steel dyneema - which would have been fine - but to my pleasant surprise it came in black.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    It looks like a Porsche to me.
    I'm guessing new style of VW Beatle, while we're guessing. :)

Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    I'm guessing new style of VW Beatle, while we're guessing. :)
    Excellent eye. It's a current model VW bug. National Car Rental actually has a selection of VW's available. This one had 680 miles on the odometer when I picked it up.

Lotuseater, I don't have the Cadet in hand yet and I cannot recall what color the ultrasuede was when I was perusing it. It's going to be shipped to me soon so I look forward to taking a closer look when it arrives.

In my smaller Navy/Solar Cadet, the ultrasuede is a medium brown that goes well with the solar.

Thanks for taking the time to confirm the colour of the ultrasuede. I'm still not sure light brown is the best match for iberian; it's a good accent for solar though.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lotuseater View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to confirm the colour of the ultrasuede. I'm still not sure light brown is the best match for iberian; it's a good accent for solar though.
    @lotuseater I'm guessing the Steel/Solar Cadet uses the light tan ultrasuede for the pocket. I ordered the next to last Indigo/Solar Synapse when solar was being discontinued, and the side pocket uses that light tan ultrasuede. The Synapse in 400d Nordic Dyneema uses black ultrasuede, which I like better. The original Synapse at the time it was first released used a lovely Cayenne ultrasuede. The light tan ultrasuede is a bit thicker in texture than the other color versions, which have more of the texture of the Ultrasuede cleaning cloths and the pouches, if you're familiar with them. (I have a clear organizer wallet in Cacao Ultrasuede, and Medium size Kindle Organizer pouches in Cayenne and Leaf Green Ultrasuede.)

moriond

@moriond - I was surprised how much heavier the ultrasuede in my Cadet felt compared with the two dividers in my clear organizer wallet, so your comment certainly resonates with me. I like the black ultrasuede in my Cadet, as it's the right complement for the steel dyneema interior. I daresay cayenne ultrasuede and iberian dyneema would be a visual treat, but if there are only a couple of colours in the heavier duty ultrasuede, I understand why it came down to whether black or tan would be the better match for each colour of dyneema offered in the Cadet.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0