Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Quick First Impressions - Tom Bihn Field Journal

Quick First Impressions - Tom Bihn Field Journal

I just picked up the Field Journal the other day while heading back from the Seattle area. My first item from Tom Bihn and undoubtedly not the last! The red color is great and is a nice break from the many black and gray bags in the gear closet. It's nice to have an easy way to transport important notes, paperwork, and receipts -- all the while keeping them from getting trashed or lost. No more personal info on Post-Its and hotel notepads!

Name:  8359248994_0e53ae4ff5_c.jpg
Views: 3776
Size:  216.5 KB

I also picked up one of the Dyneema "Mini" organizer pockets to clip inside the Field Journal. It's a perfect fit and easy to move out of the way to get to the pen pockets underneath.

Name:  8359248574_5f29f68467_c.jpg
Views: 3897
Size:  201.1 KB

Once home I added the included lined paper, various pens & pencils, as well as some tabbed dividers from Avery (5.5 x 8.5" size) for a little organization. I also had Staples cut a ream of plain 8.5 x 11" printer paper in half so I can print and hole-punch my own forms and calendars from here to eternity. (If you're cheap like me, their copy center has a pretty fancy laser-guided cutter and it only costs a few bucks.)

Name:  8359248252_c49f1f9e6e_c.jpg
Views: 3710
Size:  174.2 KB

For comparison's sake, I wound up taking a photo of some other notepads and notebooks that are out in the market. From L to R: Moleskin, Skilcraft "Memoranda", Moleskin Cahier, Field Journal, Rite in the Rain 3x5. Pilot G2 pen shown for scale.

Name:  8358185145_81aa7e8292_c.jpg
Views: 3878
Size:  164.7 KB

Great minds think alike! My Plum FJ was delivered today and I intend to use mine as a portable Household Planner station. Once I get it loaded up and organised I will post some pics. I even got the same mini steel dyneema pouch!
    Happy owner of: Black & UltraViolet Co-Pilot, Kiwi Swift, Azelea Little Swift, Azelea 3D Clear organizer Cube, Turquoise Little Swift, Turquoise Medium Cafe Bag, Plum Field Journal, Plum Large Cafe Bag, Plum Small Cafe Bag, Black Large Cafe Bag, Wasabi CQPC plus lots of travel stuff sacks, Yarn stuff sacks, organiser pouches, travel trays etc

Volunteer Moderator
    Just wanted to note that the iPad Mini is perfectly sized to travel in the FJN, and could also be slipped into the pocket behind the front section behind the pens, rulers, etc. or even into the outside back pocket (but without a case). I'll attach a few pictures to show this.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357668840.942205.jpg
Views: 7072
Size:  141.1 KB

I've slipped the iPad Mini behind the front pocket, with just a sliver of the right edge showing as a line to the right. The whole device can be pushed further in.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357668864.373542.jpg
Views: 4385
Size:  204.6 KB

This could also fit inside a cache, and sit in front, but I find this feels a little bulky. A fitted case works a little better. (Sorry, don't have a picture handy to upload).

What's neater is using the new 3D Dyneema/Nylon organizer cubes, which are light weight and nicely sized. I usually don't use the enclosed hook for hanging the pouch, but this works out as a very slick feature with the FJN when you secure the organizer cube with both a keystrap and the hook. It allows you to hold the open FJN with a pouch open at the side, and reach in for alternate items, such as a highlighting pen or extra colored pencils or clips. I can't both hold the FJN this way and take a picture, so I'll show what I mean in layout format on a table.

Here's the Dyneema cube tethered with a keystrap.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357669864.418501.jpg
Views: 3490
Size:  227.0 KB

Here's the same cube open with the hook also attached. There are some Post-It marker flags in the pouch.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357669971.590717.jpg
Views: 3488
Size:  218.6 KB

You can hold the FJN open with the cube tethered this way over the side. For light stationary items or small receipts this works very well.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 01-08-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Corrected typos from quick iPad entry

I love you!! I just got FJ yesterday and I had not discovered the pocket under the pens - woohoo!! And my first thought when I opened up the FJ was "I bet an iPad mini would fit in here" - now I REALLY want to swap my iPad for a mini. Fab photos!
    Happy owner of: Black & UltraViolet Co-Pilot, Kiwi Swift, Azelea Little Swift, Azelea 3D Clear organizer Cube, Turquoise Little Swift, Turquoise Medium Cafe Bag, Plum Field Journal, Plum Large Cafe Bag, Plum Small Cafe Bag, Black Large Cafe Bag, Wasabi CQPC plus lots of travel stuff sacks, Yarn stuff sacks, organiser pouches, travel trays etc

Here is what I was thinking for an iPad mini attachment for the FJN. I am looking to get a field journal for work (arena rigging) there are a bunch of times that you need to use both the iPad and paper to figure stuff out and this would make it close to perfect. Alternately It may be possible to take a portfolio case and fold the cover backwards and into the pocket behind the pen holders. I just haven't seen too many cases out there for the mini yet. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3648
Size:  507.0 KB

Ooooh, that looks awesome! What a nice solution for folks that use their FJ actually in the field!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    If you want an official TOM BIHN FJN for the iPad mini, stay tuned.... it's been in the works for a little while now. No ETA or details yet.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    If you want an official TOM BIHN FJN for the iPad mini, stay tuned.... it's been in the works for a little while now. No ETA or details yet.
    Apparently I can only like that once.... Darcy, can I volunteer to field test the heck out of this? I have an iPad mini for the sole intention of pairing it with the FJN
    P.S. I think Kiwi ballistic nylon would make a lovely exterior for such a thing... I can dream right?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    Apparently I can only like that once.... Darcy, can I volunteer to field test the heck out of this? I have an iPad mini for the sole intention of pairing it with the FJN
    P.S. I think Kiwi ballistic nylon would make a lovely exterior for such a thing... I can dream right?
    Noted! Though the Kiwi exterior will probably be but a dream...
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Well poo! I suppose I could always have two FJs I guess...

I'd buy Kiwi ;o)

Ooh! I'm so excited! I've had a Field Journal in my wish list for awhile now, but I'll hold out for one that will hold the mini. Guess I might need to get a mini as well, though! Currently I have the iPad 2, but my daughter got the mini for her birthday back in October, and I'm thinking more and more that it would be a good choice for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Darcy, do you know that you will be asked about that most exiting design pretty much the way pups react to the Citizen Canines every time they know there are super extra tasty treats or exiting new toys in it!! :)

I loooooooooooooooooove my Plum FJN and I will be getting a iPad Mini for Valentines.

The two combined is a dream come true for people who like to combine digital and analogue organizing, note taking, journaling, art creation and brainstorming.

I do hope that the analogue only FJN is going to stay for children and adult as purse/journal/art journal/field journal in times or areas without the digital ties.

I was duly impressed by the "Purse with a Purpose" blog thread, Lesson Field Journal Notebook from Maverick, Z Art Field Journal Notebook and many people art and work creations in the field.

I am certain the FJN Digital will be even more impressive!
    dorayme likes this.

wow!

Darcy, you gave me my wish (from the 2013 wish list)!

I can't wait!

Levenger makes one like this. And I do like their Circa system a great deal. However, not sure it is waterproof cover, and all that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0