Like Tree20Likes
  • 16 Post By MLW
  • 1 Post By 123veo
  • 1 Post By MagicTiki
  • 2 Post By battlestar

Thread: Aeronaut as roller derby gear bag

MLW

Aeronaut as roller derby gear bag

I've never posted anything like this before, but since I've gotten so much great information on the TB forums over the past year, I thought I might help someone out in a situation that is similar to mine.

I have done roller derby for the past five years and recently retired my second gear bag. Two and a half years per bag is really pretty good considering the kind of rough life skate bags tend to live. After skating for this long I have a pretty specific list of what I want:

Must be durable enough to handle heavy items and rough use
    Large main section for skates and pads
    A few pockets for small items
    Dedicated backpack straps
    Some degree of wash-ability to fight the derby funk
    Light color inside is a plus but not a must
    Helmet must fit inside (!!!)

I have been using my WF for the past year or so for international work trips and was starting to look for an excuse to buy a new TB bag. At first I wasn't too keen on the Aeronaut because I am on the short/petite side but when I started looking for a gear bag, it began to make more sense to me. The main question I had was whether or not my helmet would fit in the bag. In the past I have just clipped my helmet to the outside of my bag but it's cumbersome and tends to bump into things/people. After some amount of internal debate, I finally decided to take the plunge and order the Aeronaut. I figured if the helmet didn't fit I would send the bag back (or find some other use for it).

Digression: I had planned to get a black bag to keep it from looking too dirty, but Aubergine had just become available and since our team color is purple...my decision was made for me!

Everything fits in the bag with room to spare for practice jerseys, a water bottle, snacks etc. The overall weight is around 20lbs. I wear a women's size 8 shoe which translates to a men's size 7 speed boot with nylon plates. All of my pads are size small and the ankle weights are around 7 lbs. There is room for larger skates/pads especially without the ankle weights and misc pads. I've been really happy with the Aeronaut-as-skate-bag. It'd definitely heavy, but once it's on my back it's comfortable. I do have the chest and waist straps on in case I need them, but for the most part it's just the distance from the house to the car and from the car to the rink so I don't do a lot of trekking with it.

Photos are attached to show how I load the bag, a skater's packing list as it were.

A huge thanks to everyone at TB and on the forums, just because I've never posted before doesn't mean you haven't been a huge help to me!

MLW
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Gah! That is one good looking bag. The exact color combo I'm wishing for, in fact. Thanks for sharing!
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Coolest post of 2012!
    tCook likes this.

We have a winner. Greatest TB product application ever.
    Darcy likes this.
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Completely awesome review and photos. Thanks so much for posting!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Cool idea. That bag looks awesome. Love the color combination.

MLW
    Thank you for all of the kind words, I'm super happy with my Aeronaut-gear-bag!

MLW

Is the color scheme of your Aeronaut the old Navy/Solar, or the newer Navy/Wasabi?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

MLW
    Hey MtnMan, my bag is Aubergine/Wasabi. The flash causes the color to shift, but it really is beautiful!
    MLW

I bought this bag based solely on this review. I just got it today and stuffed it full of all my derby gear, using your picture as a guide. It fits perfectly. No more banging my helmet into my head trying to get a gear bag into the overhead compartment of buses and planes! THANK YOU.

Also- are those jump bars on your skates? I've been doing derby for about 15 months and started going to the skate park about two months ago. It's scary and I have no idea what I am doing at all and I love it.
    Darcy and Beau like this.

MLW
    Battlestar - I'm so excited to hear that my review helped you! I wasn't sure if any other skaters would be looking at the Aeronaut for a skate bag, but it's pretty perfect for me!

Regarding the skates - those are not jump bars. I used to use nylon plates (Sunlite) which makes them super lightweight, but flexible. The metal bar helps to take some of the pressure and redistributes it so it doesn't flex too much. I have recently gotten new skates; I'm on a Bont hybrid carbon boot with the Revenge plate. It's a great set up the next time you're looking to upgrade.

Happy skating!

MLW

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0