Aeronaut packing list for 2 weeks in Europe
I wanted to share my packing list and travel experience from my trip to Europe back in April.
This was my first trip with my new Aeronaut - so I was really excited to test it out!
My goal was to travel light – one carry-on bag – while still taking everything I needed for a business trip to the International Lighting Fair in Frankfurt and the annual Salone del Mobile (Furniture Fair) in Milan.
Due to the variety of different events on my schedule, my gear needed to be really versatile, good to wear schlepping around museums and galleries, neat enough for furniture showrooms & trade shows visits and smart enough for fancy “design” events in the evening, including cocktail parties, dinners and even a visit to a nightclub (which I was WAY too old and introverted to endure for long!)
Plus, the temperature ranged from 9C/50F to 26C/79F so the gear needed to cope with conditions from chilly Germany to warm Milan…and cold, windy Lake Como!
With some careful planning, selection (tip: lots of black, a very versatile colour) and weighing of my gear (I’ve become a light weight travel geek!), I managed to come up with a packing list which coped with all the scenarios above…and still only weigh 7kg (15.4 pounds) total!
In fact, I could have left a few pieces of gear at home and not missed them!
Here's a shot of my gear...full packing list below.
The Aeronaut worked beautifully, looked smart and was a pleasure to carry with me both on the airplane, train from Frankfurt to Milan and walking through the city streets thanks to the great design, beautiful fabric and the amazing Absolute shoulder strap.
Funny, even the water-resistant zippers with their rubber seals gives the Aeronaut a very sleek, sophisticated look that regular bags just don’t have.
I also purchased TB packing cubes, organiser pouches and a travel tray that kept everything in its place both inside the bag and when unpacked in the hotel room. Having everything in a cube – and not loose in the bag – makes a world of difference. Just brilliant. And they fit into the Aeronaut like hand-in-glove.
In summary, this trip proved to me that you CAN travel light and still pack gear which looks good on the streets on Milan, works for business meetings and after work at smart bars, restaurants…even nightclubs!
Thanks Tom Bihn!
PS. My next trip is to Bali, Indonesia for 3 weeks…my Aeronaut and I can’t wait…and this time the goal is 6kgs!
Here's a shot of me (far right) with the gang at Milan airport on the way home to Australia. Aeronaut discreetly slung over my shoulder and hard to see in this shot...but my colleagues couldn't believe it was the only bag I took!
7kg Packing List (left to right from the top of the picture)
• My awesome TB Aeronaut (black/Iberian) with TB small clear organiser pouch attached to key strap inside
• Black messenger bag (my day bag)
• iPad 2
• red neoprene iPad sleave
• black silk tie
• black leather belt
• Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 Trail running shoe (worn on plane)
• Cashmere scarf (black/blue)
• TB Snake Charmer containing ipad/iphone charger, camera battery charger, usb camera cable, ipad camera adaptors, converter power plug (Aus to European)
• TB mini clear organiser pouch (Iberian)
• Lowepro camera case for Canon Powershot S95 (used to take the photo, and an awesome camera!)
• TB clear quarter packing cube (Iberian) with toiletries
• iPhone 4
• small black draw-string bag containing eye patch, neck pillow and compression socks – for plane
• Earth Sea Sky silk weight T-shirt (green)
• Stack of business cards
• running skins (blue)
• Nalgene 1 litre water bottle (orange)
• TB medium clear organiser pouch (solar)
• TB large packing cube (steel)
• TB travel tray (Iberian)
• Black cotton dress pants
• Ex Officio Nomad convertible pants (olive) – (worn on Plane)
• Wool beanie
• American Apparel black nylon rain jacket in pouch
• Paddy Pallin Polartec lightweight fleece jacket
• Snowgum Coolmax long sleave shirt (olive)
• Snowgum Coolmax long sleave shirt (black) – (worn on Plane)
• Bag locks x 2
• 2 x gifts for hosts in Italy (wrapped in brown paper)
• 2 x TB small packing cube (slate)
• TB end pocket packing cube (slate)
• Icebreaker Merino Wool Legacy trench coat
• Macpac short sleave merino wool T-shirt (worn on plane)
• Macpac long sleave merino wool T-shirt
• 3 x pair merino wool underwear (worn one pair)
• 2 x Bridgedale socks
• 2 x Bridgedale liner socks
• Black leather dress shoes