• 11 Post By jwoods36
  • 1 Post By nukediver
  • 1 Post By nukediver
  • 3 Post By Tlacltme
  • 3 Post By nukediver

Thread: A Brand New Synapse Arrives in SF

A Brand New Synapse Arrives in SF

Hello everyone,

I'd like to share some thoughts and pictures of my new Synapse with you. Spoiler alert: I love this bag! But if you want more details, here they are.

My commute is probably pretty normal for a big city with public transit. I walk five minutes to the underground train, shoot downtown in 10 minutes, and then walk 15 more minutes to the office. So I have been wanting a new backpack to better distribute the weight of my EDC and to keep my hands free. The old messenger bag just wasn't cutting it because it had no built-in organization and the weight distribution wasn't right. It was pretty, but not practical.

After lots of research, late nights soaking up every morsel of TB Forum wisdom I could, and a very serious case of TBAS :) my new Synapse arrived at the office today!

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 1354
Size:  136.4 KB

All of my old messenger bag things moved over to the new Synapse in a couple minutes. And I can confirm that the 15" Macbook Pro with Retina display (in a non-TB neoprene sleeve) fits in the main pocket.

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 1769
Size:  426.7 KB

Add in an iPad, sunglasses, home keys attached to the included 8" black key strap and work keys to an 8" olive key strap, a pen, and some papers and you have a bag that still somehow looks empty. There must be a black hole at the bottom of this bag! The Synapse also fits great on my 6'1" frame.

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 1197
Size:  381.6 KB

I'm thrilled with my color choice: 400d Steel Dyneema. I thought it would be nice to have a contrasting interior fabric, but that would have required not picking the Steel Dyneema, and that just wasn't a compromise I was willing to make :) The Steel Dyneema looks great and seems incredibly durable relative to its weight.

Oh, and I also picked up an iPad Mini Cache for the gf. It fits perfectly and provides protection without being too bulky. I think there are now two Tom Bihn appreciators in our house!

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 1101
Size:  241.9 KB

Thanks so much to all of you who have posted photos and reviews of your bags before. You really helped me find a bag that makes me happy, and I hope these pictures pay it forward. Can't wait to add a few organizer accessories to the Synapse and to bring it on vacation for Thanksgiving.

Cheers!
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Welcome to the Synapse Owners Club! I carry my Steel Dyneema/Solar Dyneema Synapse every day and continue to be amazed by its never-ending capacity. It will serve you well, looking great, and wearing like iron for years and years.

Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    Welcome to the Synapse Owners Club! I carry my Steel Dyneema/Solar Dyneema Synapse every day and continue to be amazed by its never-ending capacity. It will serve you well, looking great, and wearing like iron for years and years.
    Thanks nukediver! Steel/solar sounds very very nice.

May I ask which organizer pouches, if any, you like using in your Synapse? I'm not sure which to get yet.
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

The new Steel dyneema looks very sharp! Like Nuke, I have the Steel/Solar Synapse, and it's my constant companion (napping at my feet as we speak, in fact). I've got a bunch of pics around the forum of what I carry in my Synapse, but on a day-to-day basis I use one small and one mini organizer pouch. On some days, I add more if I have different loose things that need corralling.

What are you thinking you'll need to carry that might require an organizer pouch or two? While I have at least one of all the sizes, and I definitely think each has its uses, I consistently reach for the small and mini sizes. Hope this helps.

JLE
    I would wait to see how you naturally use the bag before deciding which accessories you need. I find the various pockets in my Synapse provide sufficient organisation without needing to add pouches because I put all my small items in the pockets and only larger things in the main compartment, but everyone will have different needs. OTOH I almost always use a medium and a small OP in my Imago or LCB...

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    What are you thinking you'll need to carry that might require an organizer pouch or two? While I have at least one of all the sizes, and I definitely think each has its uses, I consistently reach for the small and mini sizes. Hope this helps.
    Sure does! Thank you Badger. Btw, your posts were some of the ones I was referring to that helped me settle on the Synapse. Great to meet you :)

I think most days the "loose" things I'll need to carry around are some meds including pills and an EpiPen (approximate size of a dry-erase marker), laptop/iPad/iPhone chargers, wallet stuff (thinking about getting a slimmer wallet for my pocket and keeping most of my cards in my Synapse), and sunglasses. But the sunglasses have their own case and fit perfectly into the non-pen side pocket. I'd also like some sort of pouch, OP or otherwise, to put change and the receipts that tend to accumulate in my pockets throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    I would wait to see how you naturally use the bag before deciding which accessories you need. I find the various pockets in my Synapse provide sufficient organisation without needing to add pouches because I put all my small items in the pockets and only larger things in the main compartment, but everyone will have different needs. OTOH I almost always use a medium and a small OP in my Imago or LCB...
    Hi JLE, thanks for your advice. I happen to think you are right on target which is why I waited to buy any OPs until consulting the experts ;) Sounds like the consensus is at two OPs somewhere between mini and medium. Since I don't carry letter sized paper regularly, a large OP probably isn't necessary.

Now to decide on clear/mesh/cork/cordura/dyneema/etc for the OPs…
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Sure does! Thank you Badger. Btw, your posts were some of the ones I was referring to that helped me settle on the Synapse. Great to meet you :)

I think most days the "loose" things I'll need to carry around are some meds including pills and an EpiPen (approximate size of a dry-erase marker), laptop/iPad/iPhone chargers, wallet stuff (thinking about getting a slimmer wallet for my pocket and keeping most of my cards in my Synapse), and sunglasses. But the sunglasses have their own case and fit perfectly into the non-pen side pocket. I'd also like some sort of pouch, OP or otherwise, to put change and the receipts that tend to accumulate in my pockets throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    Hi JLE, thanks for your advice. I happen to think you are right on target which is why I waited to buy any OPs until consulting the experts ;) Sounds like the consensus is at two OPs somewhere between mini and medium. Since I don't carry letter sized paper regularly, a large OP probably isn't necessary.

Now to decide on clear/mesh/cork/cordura/dyneema/etc for the OPs…
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods36 View Post
    Thanks nukediver! Steel/solar sounds very very nice.

May I ask which organizer pouches, if any, you like using in your Synapse? I'm not sure which to get yet.
    I use a small Iberian Dyneema for things like dental floss, aspirin, and the like, and a medium Ultraviolet Dyneema for my headphones and ipad/iPhone charger. Sometimes when I have a lot of loose papers, I'll also use the large OP to corral them. Oh, and my cork organizer wallet. I love OPs!

Am I the only one who wants a Synapse in every color/fabric?! They all look soooo wonderful!

jwoods36, the Synapse was also my first foray into TB...and there was no turning back! You are going to LOVE using it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    Am I the only one who wants a Synapse in every color/fabric?!
    No, no you are not....

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    jwoods36, the Synapse was also my first foray into TB...and there was no turning back! You are going to LOVE using it!
    Thanks Tlacltme. Already considering replacing my main suitcase with an Aeronaut, TS, or WF. Tough to choose!
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Thanks Tlacltme. Already considering replacing my main suitcase with an Aeronaut, TS, or WF. Tough to choose!
    TS is the goldilocks solution and the smallest pocket on the front is perfect for the receipts you mentioned in an earlier post.

Nice to meet you too, and sorry I missed your reply. I think you might want to think about a mini OP for the cards, and either a mini or small for the receipts and daily ephemera. It really depends how many meds you carry with you, and whether you store them in vials, packets, a pillbox, etc., but you would probably be safe with a medium. Chargers could go in a medium; however, it could be tight if you have extension cords, in which case you might want to think about a Snake Charmer, which you could smash into the bottom pocket or just keep at the bottom of the main interior pocket.

I keep my sunglasses in the non-pen pocket as well.

I just took one of my son's epipens and tried to get it into one of my small OPs - no luck (it does go in, diagonally and awkwardly - I don't recommend). So you'll likely have to get a medium OP for your epipen and meds. Have fun!

Would an epipen fit into a pen/pencil pouch? Those are longer than a small.
    Indigo/Black Swift, Kiwi little Swift, Indigo Side Effect, Punch Small Cafe bag, Plum Clear Organizer Wallet, Tall Yarn Stuff sacks in Solar and Steel,