Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Darcy
  • 1 Post By maverick
  • 2 Post By Frank II
  • 1 Post By maverick
  • 1 Post By Tzporah

Thread: Photo of Aeronaut in Overhead of a Regional Jet?

Photo of Aeronaut in Overhead of a Regional Jet?

Does anyone have a photo of an Aeronaut in the overhead compartment of a regional jet?
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Frank,

Here's one. Hope other folks share more!
    Frank II and Flinx like this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks, Darcy. I'm going to print it out and show it the next time some idiot gate agent, unfamiliar with the magical powers ingrained in all Tom Bihn bags, insists I gate check my Aeronaut because it "won't fit in the overhead." They never take my word but now I'll have a photo. And...the bag in this photo is the same color as mine.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi frank!

not a photo, but a video (in case you have an iphone or other similar device on which to show the gate agent :)
    -m

Thanks, Maverick.....when I was pondering this question, I figured you'd have something.

I'm going to get an iphone just so I can show this video.
    maverick and tCook like this.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi frank!

i had a northwest klm gate agent suspect that the aeronaut was too big, and their gate bag sizing mechanism proved otherwise. that's another approach if the gate agent is concerned over the size of the aeronaut.

do you carry the aeronaut on your back or on your shoulder? it seems that having a bag on your back makes it seem like it must not be that big, unless of course it is one of those huge packs. when i was checking in at indra gandhi international airport in new delhi last time, i was asked if i was checking any bags. when i said that i wasn't, they wanted to weigh my carry on. when she saw that the carry on was the aeronaut i was wearing on my back, she didn't care to weigh it. there is this perception among many that if you can carry it on your back, it can't be that heavy! :)
    -m

Interesting idea....I would think that carrying it on one shoulder would make it seem lighter. If something was heavy, I'd want my whole body to help carry the weight, not just one side.

Carrying it on one side also makes it seem smaller to most. (Which is also why I get black bags--they do look smaller.)

The other thought is by carrying it on my shoulder, rather than on my back, I come across more like a business traveler than a tourist--even though I might be a tourist for that trip.

I've never had a problem on a mainline aircraft, It's only been a few times at the gate with an RJ. I only travel with one item, not one and a personal. With only one item, it also gives the appearance of lightness.

Ultimately, I think it has to do with getting the plane boarded as fast as possible. It's easier to gate check a bag than let a pax try to get it on board only to find it won't fit. And if they still try to have me check it the "regular" way, that is strictly a means to get money out of me. I don't fall for it.

Frank

Whenever I have travelled with my Aeronaut I have never been stopped to check it in before I board. I always carry it on the plane during boarding process on the shoulder and it seems to look smaller. It is also a black in color and I agree with you that it looks sleeker in that color. I did have to check it one time in the Philippines on a small twin prop domestic plane but they only allow 7.5kg per bag (ridiculous weight by the way) and it weighed more than that because of some goodies we packed for our peeps there.

I've found it's just easier to take the tag from the gate agent instead of arguing with them and then just walk on the plane still carrying my Aeronaut. I have yet to find a regional plane where it doesn't fit in the overhead and about 90% of my flights are regional.

I will admit that with the backpack straps out and if I've packed for 7+days, it's a really tight fit.. but it does still fit.
    dorayme likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0