Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Badger's mobile office, parts I and II

Badger's mobile office, parts I and II

Part I: look at all this crap

Hey everyone,
    I just got back from my conference in St. Louis. It was a good time, but exhausting. (How exhausting? So exhausting that I was too tired to arrange a meet-up with Ed [AVService], even though he very nicely offered to get together. I know. Lame.)

Backpack had asked me to show what took on my trip, so here's a little photo essay, showcasing my mad iPhone skillz, natch.

We rolled into town in early evening.

Before going to dinner, I had some time to get my stuff unpacked. I didn't take photos of this stuff, but I had my Aeronaut and Mrs B (who was also attending the conference) had the WF. Because it was supposed to be hot, I packed extra shirts. It ended up being not as hot as I had predicted, so I didn't use all the stuff I brought. For a 5-day trip I packed about 7 days worth of clothes and way too many freaking shoes. Anyway, once I put that stuff away, I was able to unpack my mobile office, which I was transporting in my Smart Alec.

I had put into my Freudian Slip a pen, pencil, iPad stand, little notebook, conference registration, some papers, and some catalogues.

Here are the contents unpacked.

I also had my 15" MBP in a third-party sleeve, an iPad with Miniot cover in a Cache, a wireless keyboard in third-party sleeve, and a snake charmer with cables and power bricks.

A gazillion organizer pouches with bits and bobs.

Like Italian kleenex.

I also had my MCB with some extras, all of which fit in the SA: sunglasses in butt-ugly case, three books, and a Moleskine notebook.

Stay tuned! More pics in the next post!

Super cool photos Badger (as always)!! That book on the left looks fascinating!
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Part II: The conference!

As I noted in an earlier post, I saw a bunch of people carrying TB bags at the conference.

Here's my MCB with Forum member Indyracers' Cadet:

We were on a panel together, after which we had some cute little burgers:

Every year, one of the publishing companies throws a big party for the conference-goers, and this year it was at City Museum, a truly magical place.

On Saturday, we hightailed it out of town, got an oil change on the fly, picked up the corgis and made it back in one piece. Another successful trip! Thanks, TB!
    Last edited by Badger; 03-26-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Badger - thanks for sharing how you stay organized on the road. I just returned from a short trip, and realized I need to tweak the"mobile office" setup with my Tristar.

Badger

Rain Check.

I always wonder too how to tell the "Bits" from the "Bobs"?
    Katy likes this.

I think you should all just meet up at the factory :). ;).

That way I get to be there :)!!!!
    jaon and WhiteStar like this.

Badger - you are so organized! I liked seeing the pouches with straps, as I too like to travel that way too.

CHeers!

(Now where are corgi pictures of the welcoming home party they threw for you?!)
    "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

Oh yeah and the City Museum is AMAZING isn't it!
    The guy who built it was an amazing spirit and was sadly killed last year while developing his newest adventure park,The Cement Museum!?
    He rolled a Bulldozer while grading by himself on a Sunday.

Did you get a peek at Rooftop?

city museum | where the imagination runs wild!

Ed

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. Ed, thanks for being understanding. Rain check taken. And no, sadly they didn't let us on the roof of the City Museum. The publishing company had provided an open bar of many cheap, high-proof liquors. I think they wanted to avoid any cheap yet greedy academics from going off the roof as a result of drunken mishaps.

Tava, being called organized is one of the highest compliments someone could pay me, so thank you. I do a fair amount of conference traveling (somewhere between 2-5/year) and I've gotten fairly accustomed to packing up for the road. Do you have a Freudian Slip? I have to say that it really helped me wrangle all my papers and things.

Katy, The Trivium is super interesting--it was written in 1937. By a nun. (Who was also a rhetorician.) It's been updated nicely for the contemporary reader, and makes a compelling case for the interconnection of grammar, logic, and rhetoric, which is just as urgent today as it was 75 years ago. Also: one day you will arrive at work to find me with my face pressed against the glass, corgis in tow, waiting for the warehouse to open. You've been warned!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Katy, The Trivium is super interesting--it was written in 1937. By a nun. (Who was also a rhetorician.) It's been updated nicely for the contemporary reader, and makes a compelling case for the interconnection of grammar, logic, and rhetoric, which is just as urgent today as it was 75 years ago. Also: one day you will arrive at work to find me with my face pressed against the glass, corgis in tow, waiting for the warehouse to open. You've been warned!
    Wow! That does sound interesting! I'll have to put it on my list!

So help you if you don't have corgis in tow.

JK! I'd still totally let you in (Brian might not..).
    Maria likes this.

The Freudian Slip is my favorite accessory. I wish there were one for the Synapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    Wow! That does sound interesting! I'll have to put it on my list!

JK! I'd still totally let you in (Brian might not..).
    Katy & Badger, my better half went to St John's College of Maryland for her undergraduate degree, and has The Trivium & likes it. (Yes, she's the one who did the classical education & then went to CUA, I'm the Catholic one. Life works out that way!) I keep meaning to read it but haven't gotten around to it yet.

You know, if all of us dog parents could make a collective pilgrimage to the Seattle store, that would be AWESOME.
    Of course, Rosalind hasn't flown yet, so I don't know how she'd do for that flight. But she's either going to have to get used to flying or invent teleportation.
    But I have this image of Riley & Ichiro sitting just inside the front doors, waiting to greet all the dog visitors! And then they could all run around and wag their happy tails and flop their ears and have fun.

Badger, what are the titles of the other two books? I can see that one was written by the Pope & published by Ignatius, but I can't make out the title.
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black Side Effects, steel/ultraviolet Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/ultraviolet (C) & steel/ultraviolet (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

Really enjoyed the pictures. Thanks for sharing...
    Aeronaut (crimson) with Absolute Strap, Synapse (navy), Smart Alec (black/steel/solar), Shop Bag (solar), cache for MBP, cache for iPad2, and numerous pouches and key straps.

Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    Badger, what are the titles of the other two books? I can see that one was written by the Pope & published by Ignatius, but I can't make out the title.
    The one by the Pope is The Spirit of the Liturgy, the reading of which is my Lenten discipline--don't ask me how it's going :(

The other one is about religion in composition studies. It's called (I think) Negotiating Religious Faith in the Writing Classroom.

Tell your better half to PM me sometime if she's on the forum. It's nice to hear of people who share my scholarly interests and have good taste in bags, because let me tell you: them's slim pickins (Indyracers not included, of course, but he never posts here so whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    I would totally bring them. I'm not sure how you'd feel about them after 5 minutes of listening to Hector bark his head off, like he's doing right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0