Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 10 Post By plume

Thread: My Synapse went to Ecuador

My Synapse went to Ecuador

I went too...and we spent a week hiking in nature reserves. No, I didn't take a single picture of the lovely Indigo Synapse that accompanied me everywhere, but thought you might enjoy a few pictures of beautiful tropical birds. I traveled with the Synapse as gear bag/personal item and, forgive the heresy, the RedOxx Sunchaser (19 x 9 x 9) for my clothes, second pair of lightweight hiking boots, and the 4-pound Birds of Ecuador book. When I need to carry less gear (Synapse carried binoculars, two cameras, etc.), I travel with the Sunchaser and a Small Cafe Bag.

From top to bottom: Masked Trogan (Male), Pale-Mandibled Aracari, Crimson-Rumped Toucanet (in the center, blending into the leaves), Rufous Motmot.
    Name:  Masked Trogan Male.JPG
Views: 597
Size:  173.4 KBName:  Pale-Mandibled Aracari.JPG
Views: 551
Size:  245.2 KBName:  Crimson-rumped Toucanet 2.JPG
Views: 561
Size:  240.7 KBName:  Rufous Motmot.JPG
Views: 529
Size:  156.1 KB
    Last edited by plume; 03-24-2012 at 08:25 PM.

So beautiful! Thanks for posting this.

Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. It was a great trip.

I should add that this trip prompted me to buy a Co-Pilot to try as a camera bag. As others have noted, the Synapse is great for traveling with camera gear, but not great for shooting if you need easy access to a different lens or to a notebook and pen. When I'm out on a birding/photography walkabout, I have binoculars and a camera around my neck, and bending over to retrieve something from the pack creates issues. Plus, I kept fiddling with my notebook and being unhappy that I didn't have a slash pocket, as on the back of the Cafe Bag, to put it in. Try reaching to the cargo pocket close to your knees between every shot! (My notebook just barely fit in the pants pocket at my hip, and it was hard to walk up steep paths or scramble over rocks with it there.)

As I have a micro 4/3 system, I don't need a big bag. Last night, I set up my new Forest/Steel Co-Pilot with my basic kit, and it all fits rather nicely in the main compartment: I padded the bottom and put the lenses in padded pouches (less convenient than a bag insert, but it's what I have on hand). I should probably do a separate thread on that at some point, with pictures. Not sure how this will work on "expeditions," but around town it should be perfect. I'll let you know