Like Tree19Likes
  • 15 Post By kmcg
  • 1 Post By TXGirl
  • 2 Post By gmanedit
  • 1 Post By dorayme

Thread: Good for a laugh: my wannabe Medium Cafe Bag

Good for a laugh: my wannabe Medium Cafe Bag

Okay, I'll admit to being a groupie. When I first discovered TB, I was feeling especially poor, so I thought I'd make my own bag. The pix don't do justice to the lining, which was the closest I could get to Wasabi - but mine has polka dots. And I used a snazzy red to line the front pocket.

Name:  DSCN2461.JPG
Views: 702
Size:  227.3 KBName:  DSCN2462.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  217.7 KBName:  DSCN2463.JPG
Views: 657
Size:  223.2 KB

What did I learn from this experience of reverse-engineering a TB bag? The ones you can buy are worth every penny! First, it's really hard to find the right fabrics. I did okay with the plum cordura, but couldn't find anything cool for the lining so I ended up using cotton. That's far from ideal in terms of holding the shape, although it's pretty cute. By the time you buy fabric and fittings, the cost is creeping up (although I was able to canibalize the straps and hooks from other old bags I didn't want). Second, it takes a looooong time to make one of these! It would probably go quicker the second time, but I haven't attempted it again.

You did a great job, kmcg!
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

I love this! I wish I could give it multiple likes.
    backpack and Lani like this.

Aw shucks, thank you. It has been a great bag. Kinda makes me want it in different colors, like some of you lucky people have!

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I think we all know, imitation is the best form of flattery. Your bag looks amazing! Being a crafter, wannabe fiber artist and otherwise, I understand how hard this undertaking would have been, especially with no pattern! And you are right, having gone through this exercise does give appreciation for just what goes into the bag design, selection of materials and hand craftedness of the TB lineup.
    Lani likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Wow, what a wonderful project!!! Thanks for sharing your pictures!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0