Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Stealth Order

Stealth Order

So, I did a Stealth Order a couple of weeks ago, and was sad to learn it wouldn't arrive before I went out of town for the weekend. We somehow managed to have a good time. I think the Piedmontese wine and the amazing charcuterie at the Purple Pig helped out a little bit.

I was very happy the minute we got back home because a big cardboard box was waiting for me:

Note that an awesome corgi had been drawn on the box!

Inside was the Stealth Order: A Black Smart Alec, a Vertical Freudian Slip, a Black Snake Charmer, a Black Ballistic Small pouch and a Black Ballistic Mini pouch. I was too impatient to take a pic of the haul in its box, but the next day the SA accompanied me on its first mission: Journey to the Center of the Library:

Two other random pictures. First, I thought it would be good to document how many pouches I've acquired over the last year. Here they are:

2 Medium (Black, Cocoa); 3 Small (Steel, Black Ballistic, and FOT); 4 Mini (Black Ballistic, MG, Cayenne, Conifer); Ballistic Pencil Pouch; Hemp Wallet. (Not pictured: a Small Steel Dyneema that I had forgotten about in my bag.)

Second, Hector wanted all of you to see how big he has gotten, now that he is almost officially an adult:

Stay tuned for pics from my upcoming 5-day conference in St. Louis! Thanks for looking!

Awesome! I'm happy to hear you had such a great time!

The Corgi drawing turned out so awesome! We're happy you like it!

Hector is looking so regal!
    backpack and Lani like this.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

CORGI DOGGIE DRAWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    CORGI DOGGIE DRAWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Speaking of this. Everyday while your order was in transit I would say to Eliam "Man, I wonder if Badger's package arrived yet! I can't wait for him to post pictures!"

I love that you guys care enough to draw on the boxes! Thanks for making being a TB customer so much FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    I love that you guys care enough to draw on the boxes! Thanks for making being a TB customer so much FUN!
    We have so much fun doing it!!
    backpack and Lani like this.

Oh, I love your Stealth Order! I am currently eyeballing the Smart Alec! It seems like it is a good all around backpack. You can use a brain cell and carry your lap top for work. I keep thinking how it would work as a gym bag with my yoga mat in the bungee cord. Or you could stuff it with clothes and pouches for a weekend trip. Can't wait to hear how you like it after a few days/weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post
    Oh, I love your Stealth Order! I am currently eyeballing the Smart Alec! It seems like it is a good all around backpack. You can use a brain cell and carry your lap top for work. I keep thinking how it would work as a gym bag with my yoga mat in the bungee cord. Or you could stuff it with clothes and pouches for a weekend trip. Can't wait to hear how you like it after a few days/weeks!
    So far, so good, darbs. The SA is much more capacious than I had originally fathomed, and is bigger by far than the backpack I was carrying previously. I have a third-party computer sleeve and for now I'll continue to use it because I had to make some choices about the extras I added to my order. I think I probably will end up with a Brain Cell because the computer kind of flops around in the relatively large and unstructured space. This is also my first TB bag that lacked a brightly-colored interior, and of course most of the SAs do not have this issue. It's not a problem, per se, but I think I may eventually buy a Guardian light to illuminate the interior. While I haven't used it yet, I believe the Freudian Slip will help me manage the SA's unstructured quality. I could also see some medium (or even large) organizer pouches coming into play to help me keep work things nice and tidy. The thing I'm actually having the greatest problem with right now is getting used to the side pockets. I have headphones and a pouch clipped in there and they get in the way of the pencil slots--first world issues, I know. I'm still working on the best configuration. I haven't had a new backpack since about 2005, and the one I had was ultra-structured, so I expect it will take a little time.

Like you, I see a lot of casual travel potential in the SA: it has the same capacity as my Western Flyer, a nice and inconspicuous backpack profile, and would slide easily under an airline seat (although we all know how gross that is, ha ha).

Just like some other Forum members, I didn't have the hots for the SA when I started familiarizing myself with TB products. The aesthetics of the bag have really grown on me, and I think that size-wise it is perfect for both most of my day-to-day and travel needs.
    Lani likes this.

I think the dark lining is one of the main things holding me back! If it was Solar or Iberian, I would be all over it. I guess I could add a little Guardian light to it though. Hmm....the possibilities are endless. I just like the versatility of it though. I'd love to see some pics with different things inside your SA! ;) Can't wait to hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post
    I think the dark lining is one of the main things holding me back! If it was Solar or Iberian, I would be all over it. I guess I could add a little Guardian light to it though. Hmm....the possibilities are endless. I just like the versatility of it though. I'd love to see some pics with different things inside your SA! ;) Can't wait to hear more.
    You can get Black with Iberian, just not right this minute (it's on backorder).

I kind of, sort of, perhaps made a mistake with ordering all these black pouches, since they are hard to see inside the dark interior.

Actually, nope. The black accessories are rad and I can deal.

If you could post pictures of what you are carrying at the conference, it would be great.

The Corgi drawing is awesomely gorgeous!

The Corgi himself is a first class cutie. :)

I recently got a Smart Alec in Forest with Ultraviolet Interior and it is very easy to find what I need inside. No hesitation in recommending that combination if you are worried about not being able to find things. Since getting the Smart Alec I have used it as a daily bag as well as a one bag-carry on a 4 day trip to Nebraska and as a personal item on a 5 day trip to Las Vegas. In both travel situations, the carry load was only about 12 lbs but I could have easily loaded and carried more. The bag is kind of deceptive in that it seems to be bottomless as you load it. As the sole bag, I carried an iPad and folding keyboard, a fully used vertical Freudian slip, a packing cube designed for the TriStar as well as other assorted pouches and small things. As a personal carryon item, I carried a laptop in a Waterfield sleeve, the same fully used Freduian slip, a Kindle, inflatable pillow, and multiple pouches filled with a variety of necessities and not so necessary items. I never thought I would be a fan of the bag to be honest but decided to try it since I wanted something with roughly the capacity of the Western Flyer but something with somewhat less structure to give me greater flexibility in packing. My only wish is that it could somehow open in clamshell fashion while maintaining the integrity of the side pockets (I know it cannot be done) rather than as a top opening bag.

I have the Smart Alec in Black/Black/Iberian and have no trouble with seeing the interior items.
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

My SA is black/black/steel and I find it dark inside. However, I've got poor vision (seriously, I am photo-phobic AND my eyes don't dilate properly, which makes those yearly trips to the optometrist absolutely delightful).

Backpack, I will take photos of what I haul to the conference. We're going to be there for what will seem, undoubtedly, like an eternity.

That corgi drawing deserves a frame! and congrats on the SA too. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0