Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By jmcrist

Thread: Overpacked Brain Bag

Overpacked Brain Bag

The Brian Bag is my first Tom Bihn purchase. I bought it after trying out the MEI Voyageur and MEI Executive Overnighter. I felt that both of those bags were too big, couldn't safely carry multiple laptops, and didn't have enough pockets to accommodate my needs. Thus, I purchased the Brain Bag. Coincidentally, I sold the MEI EO on e-bay, and sent it to the buyer in a Tom Bihn box!

My Brain Bag was broken in on my last flight from Houston to New Delhi, with a layover in Frankfurt. I flew Lufthansa, and was a little nervous due to the stricter limits of European airlines. Needless to say from the pictures below... that didn't keep me from overpacking! That baby weighed 35.6 lbs - over half the weight of one piece of checked baggage - and the Lufthansa crew didn't bat an eye.

I apologize that the last picture is blurry. I didn't realize it until I had put everything away and didn't feel like going through the hassle to re-take the shot.

Name:  Side Profie.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  50.5 KB
    Name:  Chair Front.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  67.8 KB
    Name:  Chair Side.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  78.4 KB
    Name:  Stuff.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  52.3 KB

Okay, now here's all the stuff I managed to fit in it:

Macbook Pro 13" inside of a Brain Cell
    Macbook Pro 13"
    HP Elite Laptop
    2 Portable Hard Drives (inside the pink bag)
    Wireless Mouse (inside the Eagle Creek bag)
    2 Macbook Pro chargers
    1 HP Charger
    A bundled mess of other chargers, cables, locks, headphones, etc.
    Freudian Slip stuffed with papers
    Nikon D5000 w/ 50 mm lens
    1 55 - 200 mm lens
    1 35 - 55 mm lens
    1 grey hoody

There you have it. I'm a happy camper. This bag was an awesome purchase, and I already feel the onset of Tom Bihn fever: I've got my eye on a Synapse!

I feel your pain, all 35.6 pounds of it. I love my brain bag, the same color as yours by the way, but, it gets really heavy really fast. I have to pay close attention or I can barely lift the darn thing. It is good to learn that you didn't have any trouble carrying it on. I've not tried that yet and have always wondered if it would garner attention from the gate agents.
    Take care,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I am always grateful that the BB is as structured as it is. If not for that I could see getting it even MORE full and heavy!

I sure know what you mean about filling it and then picking it up for the first time.

I love my Brain Bag, too, and just took it to Africa with me. While I did not pack as much as you, it did get heavy. That's why I wish they would add thicker straps. I have also said on here several times that one bigger front pocket (vs. the two slim ones they now have) would also be a big improvement as well. Still, it is my #1 go to bag.

Moose: When I went past the gate agents, I had the shoulder straps pulled so that the Brain Bag sat high and tight against my back. I think this aided in the illusion that the bag is smaller than it actually is.

AVService: Yes, sir! It didn't hit me how heavy the bag was until I attempted to get it down out of the overhead. I almost cracked a skull with it!

Carolina: I agree with you about the straps. I have a cheaper daypack from another company that has thicker, more comfortable straps than the Brain Bag. I still really like the Brain Bag, but if I had any complaint, that would be it. I don't think it would take very much to double how comfortable the straps are on this backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrist View Post
    Coincidentally, I sold the MEI EO on e-bay, and sent it to the buyer in a Tom Bihn box!
    This cracks me up!

That sure is one full Brain Bag!
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Any suggestions for after market extra padding to retrofit my Brain Bag? I am sure somebody sells some type of easy slip on sleeve to make the backpack straps move comfortable with heavier loads. I just don't know where to look?? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    Any suggestions for after market extra padding to retrofit my Brain Bag? I am sure somebody sells some type of easy slip on sleeve to make the backpack straps move comfortable with heavier loads. I just don't know where to look?? Thank you
    Carolina, you might try the Timbuk2 Shoulder Strap like this one Timbuk2 Gripster Strap Pad - Save 47%

The Tom Bihn strap fit a one inch strap. That's not quite big enough. There are some others out there too. Google might be your friend for padded shoulder straps. I've got three really old ones by a company that went out of business. They just barely fit and are about eight inches long. They do help bags stay on my, what must be droopy shoulders. Almost nothing stays on my shoulder really well.
    Take care,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0