Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By maverick
  • 3 Post By maverick
  • 1 Post By maverick
  • 1 Post By maverick
  • 1 Post By maverick
  • 2 Post By maverick
  • 1 Post By maverick

Thread: to new york with the western flyer!

Volunteer Moderator

to new york with the western flyer!

hi folks,

it's been a little crazy busy here, but my son took a day trip to new york city this past monday. we packed entirely too much stuff, but the western flyer made the load super comfortable to carry!

inside was my macbook air in a cache (thought i'd do some work on the way back on the train, but we were both so tired that we slept sooner after eating dinner!), ac adapter, ipod touch in a small padded organizer pouch, 2 box juices, 2 box milks, a bag of chocolates, 4 granola bars, a bag of cheddar bunnies, 2 bagels, a 2" thick hard back book, two workbooks, two thin paperback books, a fuji x10 camera in the emc2, tickets and guides, and other stuff i'm forgetting now.

we had a blast! it was cold, but it was also fun!

we took the amtrak from union station in washington, dc to penn station in new york city.

we walked down to the empire state building and made our way to the 86th floor observatory. we got the express passes online, which made this a fun experience! we got to bypass all of the lines, allowing us to make more of our short time in the city.

afterwards, we walked to a nearby vegan cafe called franchia. the food was excellent, though we had a little worry at the end. my son is allergic to peanuts and most tree nuts, and we told our waiter about this. it was our first time there, so we asked for recommendations. we ordered mixed vegetables and tofu with a brown sauce (on the side), and pad thai.

my son really liked the pad thai, but as i finished it, i noticed some peanut peaces. i don't think my son ate any, but to be safe, i gave him some benadryl. he had a severe reaction to eating 3 or 4 peanut m&m's a couple of years back, where he broke out in hives and had to be taken to the hospital. but the reaction came a couple of hours after having eaten the m&m's.

fortunately, my son didn't have a reaction on monday! either the benadryl did its magic, or he didn't react to the pad thai.

i know mistakes happen, and to their credit, the folks at franchia were very apologetic, and even followed up with a phone call to us the next day to make sure that my son was okay. i would definitely go back to eat there again. actually, jaiden liked the pad thai so much that he wanted to go back there for dinner that day! :)

from franchia, we took a taxi to the children's museum of manhattan. this was not the most ideal choice, as the activities they had were more geared to younger children. so we didn't stay there long and went on to the museum of natural history. we've been there before, and love their dinosaur gallery! but this time, i wanted him to explore something else there. that place is huge! i could probably spend two days there and not see everything!

we explored a little, and then saw the journey to the stars in their planetarium, and it was awesome! we both loved it!!

from there, we went and picked up dinner to go at terri's an organic vegan cafe. we got a roasted vegetable sandwich, a meatball pizza sandwich, a couple of cupcakes, and some green juice.

we took the subway from there back to penn station and just made our train.

jaiden was asleep within minutes of eating his dinner, and slept until i woke him up as we were approaching union station. i also drifted in and out of sleep all the way back. it was a fun and full day!

below are some pictures from our adventures...

Volunteer Moderator
    boarded and ready to go!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    at the 86th floor observatory at the empire state building with the western flyer!
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    view from the 86th floor observatory - picture by jaiden.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    another view from the esb 8th floor observatory...

Volunteer Moderator
    lunch at franchia...
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    at the children's museum of manhattan...
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    on our way back home...
    backpack and Lani like this.
    -m

Awesome photos! Jaiden is quite the photographer! Happy to see you guys had so much fun!

That's so nice of the restaurant to follow up like that! Thank goodness he is ok!

WAIT, this isn't fair. I had totally forgotten about how much I want thai food. I've been stuck in my apartment too long. I wonder if enough snow has melted that it's safe to drive to my favorite thai place.. There are a lot more side roads involved in getting there.
    Last edited by Katy; 01-20-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Welcome home Maverick and Jaiden! I second Katy's thoughts on Jaiden's photography skills and the Franchia restaurant to follow up to make sure he was okay. Very thoughtful of them!

Western Flyer - what a great bag for even a day trip when you have to be prepared for everything when travelling with a little one.

Katy - be careful as the side roads are usually the last ones to be cleared....Good luck!
    "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    WAIT, this isn't fair. I had totally forgotten about how much I want thai food. I've been stuck in my apartment too long. I wonder if enough snow has melted that it's safe to drive to my favorite thai place.. There are a lot more side roads involved in getting there.
    how about this - if (or when) the roads are clear enough for you to make your way to the airport, if you fly over to dc, i'll be happy to prepare a thai meal. it won't be authentic, but it will be an adventure! bring the whole gang! dinner at maverick's!!

speaking of food (it's always about food and bags, isn't it?), we need to plan another tom bihn fest!

i need to brush up on my baking skills - it's been a while!
    ncb4 likes this.
    -m

I work at TOM BIHN
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    lunch at franchia...

I've eaten there! One of my favorite places to eat in NY for sure.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0