Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dorayme
  • 1 Post By dorayme
  • 2 Post By dorayme

Thread: Is it wrong...?

Is it wrong...?

To fill someone else's bag with TB accessory pouches?

Name:  poor timbuk.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  172.1 KB

Or is it a warped proof of my addiction?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tom Bihn anything "wrong"? Never, can't happen. It seems a good introduction for the bag owner to Tom Bihn. Your efforts will be rewarded when you convert them from the ho-hum bag, to beautiful Bihn bags. :)
    Take care,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I think Moose, jeffmac is asking about "cheating" on TB and carrying a non TB bag full of TB accessories, therein lies his question is it wrong?

Personally I don't think it's cheating, though I have used that phraseology a time or two myself. I think a smart consumer would not be tied to a brand, but seek out what works the best for their needs, both financially, quality, responsibly, etc. Sometimes one of those factors implicates the others too.
    Sometimes there is a "hole" in TB's lineup because frankly though they do an awesome job, they can't make every possible bag for every need. Personally, I have been eliminating those "other bags" from my home, slowly, because after my TB bags I'm not even tempted in most cases to resurrect them and carry them. There are a few instances where I have a bag from another make that TB doesn't fill the hole, or it's too costly at this time to for me to replace. Then I cheat ;-p
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Oh my, perhaps I misunderstood. I thought the pouches had been loaned to someone else for their bag. I never imagined "cheating". :)
    Moose

Alas, Dorayme has cut to the heart of the matter. I am reviewing the gray bag behind the pouches for my site but the TB pouches made life so much simpler...

I hope you review the hook and loop closure. I can see the "lint" on it in the photo, which means it snagged said lint from somewhere, probably your now less than nice clothing , car interior, etc. where it is permanently fuzzy from being picked. Also the placement of said hook and loop means that it is facing away from the bag so everything from hair, if it was to be an impromptu pillow, to your child's cheek is subject to being 'hooked". And it's noisy too! No stealthy bag opening going on with this bag!
    Sorry, now I'll get down off the soapbox. . .but this style of closure IMHO never belongs on a high quality bag.
    Last edited by dorayme; 09-19-2011 at 08:05 PM.
    ncb4 likes this.

I have to say that I am vehemently opposed to velco closures... they're loud if I try to get into my bag during conference panels or 'sleeping' hours on late night planes, and they invariably snag my sleeves or the body of my shirt somehow. The bag I used that brought me to Tom Bihn was a Timbuk2. Perfectly decent bag, but the velco! Ye gods, the velco! It drove me nuts. They can keep the infernal stuff. My Ristretto and Imago are gorgeous, and blessedly, wonderfully QUIET! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sera View Post
    I have to say that I am vehemently opposed to velco closures... they're loud if I try to get into my bag during conference panels or 'sleeping' hours on late night planes, and they invariably snag my sleeves or the body of my shirt somehow. The bag I used that brought me to Tom Bihn was a Timbuk2. Perfectly decent bag, but the velco! Ye gods, the velco! It drove me nuts. They can keep the infernal stuff. My Ristretto and Imago are gorgeous, and blessedly, wonderfully QUIET! :)
    Working with yarn and fiber hook and loop/velcro is a 4 letter word!
    jaon likes this.

I'm sure Velcro has its place, I've just not found it yet. dorayme, its dreadful stuff for spinning bags too.
    Take care,
    Moose

I had a Timbuk2 bag for about a month & couldn't take the rrrrrrrrip each time I would open it. There was no discreet way of opening the bag
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

I learned about how much I hated velcro when my oldest son, who is now 8.5, was born and I purchased a rather expensive baby carrier for him. The top had hooks to keep the shoulder straps adjusted and the design was great except for the velcro waist strap. There's nothing like settling a baby to sleep in your sling/carrier and then having him startle awake with the rrrriiiiiiipppppppppppp when you remove the baby carrier to relax. . . That quickly became Rocky's carrier because he didn't use it nearly as much as I, it was not as feminine as some of my other carriers and was comfy for him. I started collecting slings and carriers about as rapidly and diverse as I collect Tom Bihn Bags after this one. I stopped when I had 14, but NONE of them had velcro, save that first one.

This also explains why my now 7 year old was afraid of the sound of velcro when he heard it about 2 years ago. He had never heard it before. When he did hear it, it scared him so bad, he came running to me and clutched onto me as though the boogie man was after him.

Thank you Tom for not using hook-n-loop closures!
    ncb4 and Katy like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0