• 1 Post By dorayme
  • 2 Post By dmilem
  • 1 Post By Janine
  • 1 Post By Janine
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By backpack

Thread: Higher Ground Summer Camp Tom Bihn Style

Higher Ground Summer Camp Tom Bihn Style

Rocky and I have been involved in camp ministries for the past 11 years together, and before that I have been involved for a few more. We love summer camp, it's such a positive experience for camper and staffer alike.

This year our oldest son, Charmie, was a camper in the 1B dorm for the first time. In the picture above, Mardie and Zuri are along with me pulling the Wagon taking him to his dorm. Rocky and I were his dorm's parents. Mardie and Zuri were mini campers still and I spent a lot of time with them. The camp campus is quite large, and being in the Mountains, the paths from place to place are quite steep. 3 year old legs just can't keep up so we bring our Wagon for Z.

Here Rocky is pulling her back to our Travel Trailer from the main camp area.

Z got a lot of wagon time :)

This year I also brought my Synapse with Side effect along daily to carry my personal items, as well as items for Z. M had his own string pack (not TB, and it showed by the end of camp). In addition, I brought along some TB with things to do, though I had no time for them. I had my new UV PCSB with sock blankie project that I never had time to start, and now that I hurt my right wrist, it may be a while. Inside the PCSB I used a large Iberian Stuff Sack to contain the yarn, my notions and interchangeable needle sets were in various other pouches/cases. I really am intrigued to see if I love the TB version more that what I've already got . . .

I brought my Large Shop Bags and used them for shopping, pool bags, and toting my drama costume around seeing as how it would have created quite a scene to wear it. My small shop bag served perfectly as a bath tote for my change of clothes, towel and toiletries. We stayed in our Travel Trailer vs. the staff lodge, but we used the lodge facilities for about 1/2 of our showers and bath needs.

I brought my Steel/black Utility Tote (please start making these again) with my espinner and fiber. And I had along various organizer pouches (though I wish I had more) to keep things safe, secure, easy to find and organized.

I chose in lieu of my Western flyer to just put the clothes into my wardrobe in the Travel Trailer. I packed the kids clothes similarly, into their drawers, vs. into luggage or packing cubes.

The Synapse was a perfect bag for summer camp. I needed to carry quite a few items daily for myself and daughter from antibacterial wipes to lip balm, bug protection, outer layers, water bottles, cameras, and much much more. The Synapse always handled it all very comfortably. I found myself still holding my backpack when in line or doing activities when the other moms had put theirs down because they were too heavy or cumbersome. When I was in line or standing around others there were several times when somebody turned around and clocked me with their pack while the slim Synapse was an extension of my body/person and never caused such problems.

After using the bag I have 2 things that I would personally like changed. 1. an integrated child carrier (I know it won't happen, but I can dream) 2. switch the two front side pockets. I kept going to the wrong pocket for my iPhone. I think it's because of how I use the bag.

When I wasn't carrying it, it fit perfectly onto the Wagon and never dumped. There were several times when I forgot to close the side pockets and would discover much later, but nothing was lost :) There were several times when drinks and fruit spilled on or into my Synapse but due to the organizer pockets, internal Stuff Sacks, the nature of Dyneema and Cordura I just wiped the surface liquid and nothing was ruined. I was even caught in a downpour and the water just beaded on the fabric, nothing inside was wet and the splash proof zippers did their job.

I was impressed with this pack, but I am even more so after giving it such a rigorus workout this past week, and it still looks new. It doesn't appear dirty and it should, everything is in perfect order/condition.

I'm so glad I got this bag, its' a great complement to my TB collection.Summer Camp North Carolina: Higher Ground Summer Camp - A Christian Summer Camp near Asheville, North Carolina
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Dorayme, you have the most beautiful children! Thank you for sharing their pictures.

Your description of the Synapse performance, in rigorous conditions of use, reinforces the idea that it could be used as a book bag for children in the lower grades.

PS: please forgive any bad grammar and style, I am in the grips of a terrible cold.
    dorayme and Janine like this.

First you sold me on the SE, now you're selling me on the Synapse. I hope they are giving you commission for my orders, @dorayme! :-)
    dorayme and TXGirl like this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

The awesome quality of the products, thoughtfulness of the design, customer care and focus of the company is enough to make these bags sell themselves. Of course, you have enough TB that you know these things for yourself ;p Which Synapse are you choosing?
    Janine likes this.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Dorayme, you have the most beautiful children! Thank you for sharing their pictures.

Your description of the Synapse performance, in rigorous conditions of use, reinforces the idea that it could be used as a book bag for children in the lower grades.

PS: please forgive any bad grammar and style, I am in the grips of a terrible cold.
    Oh no, a summer cold: hope you are feeling better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    Oh no, a summer cold: hope you are feeling better soon.
    Thank you Ncb4, I don't like those either, once a spring cold turned into a summer pneumonia, not good. I also gave the present cold to my husband.

So we are both sniffling and coughing.

At least my mind is a little bit more clear than this morning, let alone yesterday.

@backpack, I hope you both are feeling better soon. Don't go getting pneumonia this time or anything. No need to one up the last episode!

What beautiful children!
    dorayme and Janine like this.
    Happy owner of Steel Tristar, Steel Side Effect, Plum Medium Cafe Bag (my first TB), Indigo Synapse, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, various pouches and organizer cubes, Cache.

Quote Originally Posted by dmilem View Post
    What beautiful children!
    Aren't they? I hope my kids turn out so cute!
    dorayme likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Which Synapse are you choosing?
    As of this moment, Indigo/Solar. Could change at any moment, though, if they release new and exciting colors for the Synapse! :-)
    dorayme likes this.

Excellent choice Janine. If you know anything about new colors, spill the beans!!!
    I think O and K are pretty darn cute from the pictures I have seen. I'm looking forward to meeting them irl, maybe when I come back to Lexington in March :)

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    @backpack, I hope you both are feeling better soon. Don't go getting pneumonia this time or anything. No need to one up the last episode!
    Thank you Dorayme, before he caught my cold, sweet husband got me "food and drinks to fight the cold" and I have pretty much slept, eaten and drank and took medicine. Well... when I wasn't coughing something fierce.
    dorayme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Aren't they? I hope my kids turn out so cute!
    Janine, your beautiful babies are cute and precious, as I said before, we want more pictures of the whole family! :)

When you have time, that is, taking care of twins and running a household as well as being doggy Mom and hubby's Honey is not easy.
    dorayme likes this.

Aww, thanks @backpack. I think they are pretty cute but I'll admit that I'm biased. ;-)

I would love for you to meet my boys, @dorayme! They'll be almost a year old then...oh my goodness, my brain can't handle thinking of them that big!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0