Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By dmilem
  • 2 Post By ncb4

Thread: Medium Cafe Bags and Great July 4 Pouch

Medium Cafe Bags and Great July 4 Pouch

Gifts for friends and a little something for me! The linen bag is especially lovely....(Won't say I'm not tempted to keep it!)
    Thanks Tom!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Katy; 07-11-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Another Cafe bag finds its owner

Name:  P1030041_2.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  79.6 KBAttachment 1473

Dmilem, I love your new Linen Cafe bag; what a clean, sophisticated, fresh color, especially on a brutally hot and humid summer's day.

Today must be the day that Medium Cafe bags come home to roost, because when I returned from doing errands, the UPS man had left me a present, too. Here is my brand new Crimson Medium Café bag, along with the Fourth of July organizer: wow! The colors make a great pair, by the way, and I love the Organizer. If I were in Seattle, I’d give everyone on the Tom Bihn crew a big hug.

I admit: I ordered the Café bag mainly to get the Fourth of July organizer. So I’m surprised by how much I love the bag already. The color is wonderful; my little camera's white balance couldn't quite capture the red. But I'll try again later, and if I'm more successful, I'll post the new image.

What I didn't expect was the immediate and almost visceral connection I have to the Café bag. I've always steered away from the Café bag, in part because of its vertical orientation. Also, I wasn't sure it offered enough in the way of either organization or space. Boy, was I wrong on both counts. The medium bag has much more space than I anticipated, but it's not too large or cumbersome; it is just the right size for me to carry around for an entire day, I think. I use my Little Swifts for that now, but if I’m carrying along my iPad with its keyboard, I’d prefer the Café bag.

There is so much room inside the MC that I did a little test. I would not do this on a regular basis, but I've got my Macbook Air 11 in there, vertically, in a thin sleeve; and also my iPad, horizontally, in a sleeve (I sew them myself out of 3mm industrial grade felt), along with the wireless keyboard: they all fit at the same time, even the Air, with plenty of room to spare. (Though remember, I’ve got the Air in a relatively form-fitting sleeve. If you have a different case, it might not work as well.) The MC is like a Mary Poppins bag: almost magical in that it seems bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside.

And as for organizational features, it's got plenty of those. The pockets are more functional than I thought, and I think I counted four o-rings: three in the main compartment, and one in the zippered pocket. Wow!

I really have not been a fan of the Café bag design in the past, to the point where I was thinking today before the UPS truck arrived, "Well, I can always return it and maybe swap for something else.” But the moment I opened the box and saw my new Crimson bag, I was a convert. I am in love with this bag, and I think it may end up being used for more than just my iPad portable office. I can see this becoming my daily carry bag.
    Just and dmilem like this.

Dear ncb4,
    Thanks for posting the picks. I love the red MCB and the pouch is perfect with it. I have a Plum MCB that I've had for 6 months and use as my everyday bag. I have other messenger bags (made by other companies) that I love but always come right back to the Cafe because of how it functions. My TB wish list now includes an Imago, just to have the horizontal configuration with all the Tom Bihn features.
    I love your "Mary Poppins Bag" comment and comparison. The amount it comfortably holds is almost magical!

Oh, you'll love the Imago! I also have one of those, and if you like your Cafe bags, I think you'll love the way Tom has designed all the pockets and o-rings on the Imago. Then you'll have the best of both worlds; horizontal and vertical.

Note: I've used my Imago as both a laptop bag, with a 13-inch FlakJacket squeezed inside (it just fits) to hold a Macbook; and also as a camera bag, either with Skooba wraps to protect my camera and lenses, or a three-compartment Tenba insert (until Tom comes out with his!).

Nancy

What color is your Imago? I'm considering the new navy/cork....looking forward to seeing a photo...

I bought my Imago a while ago, when it was still offered in Indigo/Plum: I love Indigo, and am so sad it's been discontinued. But like you, I'm looking forward to the Navy/Cork one as well; I think that will be striking.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    I bought my Imago a while ago, when it was still offered in Indigo/Plum: I love Indigo, and am so sad it's been discontinued. But like you, I'm looking forward to the Navy/Cork one as well; I think that will be striking.
    @dmilem here's a link to ncb4's picture of some of her bags in Indigo. I agree that Indigo is a beautiful color. I'm so glad I bought one of the Indigo Swifts before this color disappeared. Mine is Indigo/Black with the reinforced band around the bottom as shown in indigodragonfly's blog post comparing the Swift and Little Swift. Her pictures also show the nice contrast with Kiwi -- which is why I carry a Kiwi Kit in my Indigo (Cordura) Synapse. And I'm also looking forward to the Navy/Cork/Wasabi Imago.

moriond

Hey, thanks, moriond! I need to learn how to make internal links, and also how to make external ones as well.

Thanks! Great picture! I love the Imago in indigo and plum. I also have an indigo Synapse and think it is a beautiful color.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0