Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer

The pictures are for the gentleman who was on the fence about buying a Snake Charmer... Without further ado:

The "front" of the bag. I only designated it the front because the loop on the top seems to bend back towards what I would think the back would be.

Speaking of the "back", here is a shot from there.

My "front" pocket opened up. The pocket is by no means even close to being full.

The other pocket--maybe a little bit more full, but I could surely still stuff it even more.

From left to right:
    Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse, Mini DVI to HMDI/VGA/DVI/TV Out, DVI to VGA Adapter (not sure why I still have that around...), Grounded 3 prong extension for my Macbook charger, Macbook Power Brick, On the pouch: 1.5 ft. USB-B cable, 1.5 ft. 5 pin mini USB cable, iPod/iPad connector cable, 3 foot micro USB cable, above pouch: iPad charger brick, 10 ft USB extension cable.

Like I said, my snake charmer is no where near full--but it has replaced roughly 3-4 pouches worth of material. I very much like it. Obviously, with having mesh sides, there isn't that structural integrity as a Tom Bihn enthusiast might be used to, but it works and fits in my bag nicely.

This thread shows it packed in the bottom of my bag when I was at work--the bag was fairly full. Below is how my bag will more than likely be usually packed.

It's a very nice item--so far for the 6 hours I've owned it, I'd definitely recommend it.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Thanks misterN!

Seeing it with the organizer pouch inside sold me.

Guess TB will get some more of my money!

All I want to say is "Wow!" but the forum insists on at least 10 characters.

Doing some research on the snake charmer, and came across this thread... thanks for the pics misterN. That's exactly what I needed to see, and what I'm going to do. Same color and everything. Now just gotta decide when to get it. Any promos coming up...like free nuts w/purchase? hehe

I'm glad I could have helped!

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Do you think that would fit in the bottom of a 13" Ristretto with a similar cable layout and still leave room for like an iPad and a Kindle?

I like the snake charmer, but personally find it too bulky! It is therefore harder to pack into smaller spaces. It does swallow up a lot, and if one is looking for a single thing into which to pack ALL, this is the way to go. I prefer several pouches cos that allows me to distribute the weight around; and put it in different places. Of course, they are a bit more pain to pack and keep track of!
    For the various adapters you have--I am intrigued. I have MacBook Air: how well does the mini-DVI to HDMI work? can i hook it up to a HD TV and get both A/V pretty decent? Not sure what the other one is: DVI/TV out. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    I like the snake charmer, but personally find it too bulky! It is therefore harder to pack into smaller spaces. It does swallow up a lot, and if one is looking for a single thing into which to pack ALL, this is the way to go. I prefer several pouches cos that allows me to distribute the weight around; and put it in different places. Of course, they are a bit more pain to pack and keep track of!
    For the various adapters you have--I am intrigued. I have MacBook Air: how well does the mini-DVI to HDMI work? can i hook it up to a HD TV and get both A/V pretty decent? Not sure what the other one is: DVI/TV out. Thanks...
    The Mini-DVI was used on the older computers. The new connection standard that Apple has been using for 2-3 years is Mini-Displayport. I just ordered a mini-displayport to HDMI w/Audio support, as well as a Mini-Displayport to DVI. Which year model is your air?

Incidentally-- I also have been finding the Snake Charmer a bit bulky for my needs. I might look at the 3D organizer Cube, or the other clear one.
    Last edited by misterN; 08-10-2011 at 07:16 PM.

@misterN: These images are very helpful. Thank you for posting them.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    @misterN: These images are very helpful. Thank you for posting them.
    No problem :)

I have a question for Snake Charmer users: does the size and shape of this particular storage sack have real advantages for you over, say, the similarly priced Clear Quarter Packing Cube or the smaller (and somewhat less expensive) 3D Clear Organizer Cube?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

If you have a place to put it. I've recently migrated back to a medium pouch--as my day-to-day bag has switched from my Super Ego to my 13" Ristretto. I had to cull a bit of what I had there. I think when I eventually switch back into the Super Ego, I'll probably go back to the Snake Charmer. I ran out of room having that in there with a brain cell and a Freudian Slip--but now with the Air, I won't be using the brain cell, which should give me quite a bit more room in that bag. (The Brain Cell is a very nice item--it's just bulky >.<)

Yes: and increasingly, as our own laptops and other devices get thinner and lighter and more compact--we will not need those huge bags anymore! In general, I have found it fascinating to watch this trend in more general terms: from those now-behemoth separate components (Receiver, CD changers, Turntables, Cassette players) all stacked up on high with innumerable AV cords all dangling galore---to a compact 4x6 something that holds all of your music and video libraries and hooks up to a behemoth of a monitor--we have changed as a culture! And in that sense, IPODS will go down in history as the most revolutionary item--not for its product, but for its concept. Across the board I find everything in my home now can get more compact: remember those big computer desks we all needed to house monitors, towering CPU's, dangling cords, keyboards, and such like..to where we are now?! And yet, we continue to supersize our homes.....thoughts from other folks?!

At the suggestion of the good folks at TB, I have ordered more than I'll wind up keeping, thanks to their generous return policy. I am comparing a Super Ego, and an Ego, and the one piece that takes up a lot of room is the Snake Charmer. I've tried a couple of other clear organizer pouches, and they almost fit what I need...the culprit is the long 3 pronged cord from MBP pwr supply to the wall....as you all know, I don't have to use that extension, and can just plug the brick into the wall.
    Do most of you carry that cord, or do you just plug the brick directly??
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

Love the Snake Charmer and it's flexible design. I use it I all kinda of situations as my utility storage... Chargers, cables & headphones for work, toiletry bag for overnight travel, kit bag for camping.

Now that I think about it, the Snake Charmer may be the one accessory that travels with me more than anything else. I may switch my carry bags bass on need, but the snake charmer always seems to be hanging around...
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0