Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By walk0080

Thread: Tom Bihn Aeronaut & Short Road Trip

Tom Bihn Aeronaut & Short Road Trip

My Aeronaut and accessories arrived the other day!

Tom Bihn Aeronaut & Absolute Shoulder Strap by walk0080, on Flickr

I am a big laptop/camera bag fan and I finally have my own travel bag. Previously I would borrow or share space in my wife's roller suitcase(s). I prefer lightweight and well made bags - carrying only what I need. I also own a BooqBag Boa Slim side bag, BooqBag Boa Slim backpack, Crumpler 3 Million Dollar Home camera bag and a Waterfield MacBook Air 11" sleeve case.

The Tom Bihn bag and accessories are of equal high quality as my BooqBag and WaterField cases.

So in preparation of an upcoming road trip to visit family, I packed my Aeronaut to see what I could manage:

Click on the photo to see notes...

Tom Bihn Aeronaut - Contents by walk0080, on Flickr

Tom Bihn Aeronaut in Crimson
    Tom Bihn Large Packing Cube for Aeronaut
    Tom Bihn Small Packing Cube for Aeronaut
    Tom Bihn Strap

5 pairs socks
    4 pairs briefs
    1 pair jeans
    1 pair dressy pants
    1 dressy shirt
    1 sweater
    5 t-shirts
    1 pair sneakers
    1 toiletries kit
    1 glasses case

2 Waterfield cable pouches (1 small for the camera and MacBook chargers, 1 medium for a few USB items, cables, adapters, etc.)

1 MacBook Air 11" laptop
    1 MacBook Air power adapter
    1 Waterfield MacBook Air sleeve case (no strap)

1 Crumpler 3 Million Dollar camera bag (with strap removed)
    1 Sony SLT-A33 Camera with kit zoom lens and 50mm prime lens
    1 extra camera battery
    1 camera battery charger

Tom Bihn Aeronaut loaded with clothing, cubes, camera bag and MacBook sleeve by walk0080, on Flickr

All of this gear fit into the Aeronaut bag and weighed 20 pounds with room to spare (15 pounds removing the camera bag and laptop).

If I need more room for clothing, etc., I can remove the camera case and/or laptop sleeve case(s) and use the Tom Bihn strap. Then I can use the backpack straps for the Tom Bihn bag. I use aluminum s-binders to attach the sleeve and camera case together with the Tom Bihn strap.

Waterfield Sleeve Case, Crumpler 3 Million Dollar Home & Tom Bihn Absolute Shoulder Strap by walk0080, on Flickr

Waterfield MacBoor Air 11" Sleeve & Tom Bihn Absolute Shoulder Strap by walk0080, on Flickr

Crumpler 3 Million Dollar Home & Tom Bihn Absolute Shoulder Strap by walk0080, on Flickr
    ncb4 and itsablur like this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Great photos!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

A very interesting photo thread!

Where do you stow your packed Aeronaut during your road trip? Is it in the cab with you or in the trunk?

It is extremely interesting to me to see how a current-generation MacBook Air stows for travel.

What type of camera resides in your Crumpler?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Excellent photos! I hope you had a great visit with your family :)
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Great photos and thank you for posting the organizational details. I clicked onto the pictures and got your Flickr page...more great photos.

Okay, off topic - but your Shar-Pei Cooper is gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    Great photos and thank you for posting the organizational details. I clicked onto the pictures and got your Flickr page...more great photos.

Okay, off topic - but your Shar-Pei Cooper is gorgeous!
    Sorry - didn't get email notifications of replies... but yes he is a good looking dog, I think :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    A very interesting photo thread!

Where do you stow your packed Aeronaut during your road trip? Is it in the cab with you or in the trunk?

It is extremely interesting to me to see how a current-generation MacBook Air stows for travel.

What type of camera resides in your Crumpler?
    Sorry for delayed reply... The Aeronaut was in the trunk of my MINI Cooper. Lots of room in there along with the dog's backpack (dog food, toys, etc.). On the return trip my wife was with me and her suitcase took up the trunk (!!) so I had the Aeronaut and dog backpack on one of the back seats with the dog.

The MacBook Air 11" is awesome for travel as are some of the ultralight medium/high-powered Windows laptops (not netbooks - IMO they are too slow and flimsy). The instant on and flash drive is just great and works every time.

The camera is a Sony SLT-A33. It's an SLR-style camera but has a fixed semi-translucent mirror (mirror does not fold).

As an aside, I've found that the Ultimate strap is actually TOO 'grippy' to use with lighter items like my laptop sleeve or camera bag. When I'm around town or not worried about weight, I use a different strap that has a shoulder pad that is 'grippy' but moves - i.e. the shoulder pad stays put on my shoulder, and the strap and bag can move around and shift when I take the camera out for example.

My wife was also packing for a trip in her carry-on roller the other night and I was just amazed how little space she had in there! She had to pack lighter and with so many fewer items as a result of the limited space due to the roller wheels and handle.

Nice pictures. I don't have any Crumpler bags, but I love the names they give them.

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    Nice pictures. I don't have any Crumpler bags, but I love the names they give them.
    Thanks - the bag I purchased is just barely big enough. When I have the zoom lens mounted and the 50mm stowed away I can barely close it. But it does fit well into the Aeronaut.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0