Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: the aeronaut, co-pilot and field journal notebook

I will be going to Cairo and plan to take the Aeronaut plus one other bag. The Co-pilot would be enough except I want to take an SLR and a pocket camera along with an iPad. I am leaning towards the Synapse. The Synapse has no padding for my camera but if I place my raincoat at the bottom I think that would give it some padding. Another option would be the Zephyr which does have padding. I don't really feel I need a traditional camera bag. Any thoughts?

The Co-Pilot might be a bit small if you want to carry gear with some size, but for smaller items it is great. Another option might be the Imago or The Buzz. They are 13.5 and 14 litres respectively and will fit an Ipad with more stiff.

The Synapse is much bigger, but great if you would like carry more stuff like clothes. The Zephyr has file dividers and is mainly aimed at Business use I believe. It might suit for this as well, maybe a Zephyr owner can jump in on this.

In Cairo as in any big city you should also focus on security for the items. An advantage with the Buzz is that you can also carry it on your front in large crowds and buses and likewise. That can be convenient if you plan to move around a lot.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dclawyer View Post
    I will be going to Cairo and plan to take the Aeronaut plus one other bag. The Co-pilot would be enough except I want to take an SLR and a pocket camera along with an iPad. I am leaning towards the Synapse. The Synapse has no padding for my camera but if I place my raincoat at the bottom I think that would give it some padding. Another option would be the Zephyr which does have padding. I don't really feel I need a traditional camera bag. Any thoughts?
    Why not use a padded organizer pouch in the MacBook Air SuperDrive size for your camera(s) as shown in Fat Crip's post in the Ristretto, iPad, Camera thread? This would work for either of the bags you mention, and in the case of the Synapse you could stow this in the small pocket inside the main compartment.

One thing I like about the Synapse is being able to secure the bag as shown in the 'Locking' zippers on the Synapse thread. (I use the option 2 method, with split rings such as linked in my post at the end of that thread.)

moriond

The Synapse would serve you well if you opt not to use the padded organizer pouch and use instead padded "wrap" thingy purchased from a camera store. Not sure how to describe these thingys but they are about 1/8 of an in. thick, have velcro tabs on all 4 corners and you wrap your camera like a package. Not great for grabbing quickly but great protection for traveling.

In the absence of the TB camera insert (ahem!) I use these to wrap camera body (D90) and a couple of extra lenses along with flash. I still have plenty of room for all of the other "stuff" I seem to find necessary to my existence (lol). Just a thought!
    Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

thanks!

thanks for posting the pics of your bags together maverick!

i've been admiring the co-pilot for a while now, but not really sure it will meet my needs for a work bag... it was nice to see its scale in comparison with an aeronaut (which i bought for hubby) - it appears larger than i imagined it, so it may be ok for the work stuff i cart around.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0