Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    This thread needs photos!
    I ordered an additional wallet, so when it comes I will post a comparison. :)
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Here are photos of the clear vs the cloudy plastic. Can you tell which is which? I didn't change the distance or the focus of the camera when I took the two photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thank u for posting the comparison pictures. These are very accurate to my sense of their being not as clear. It is particularly more "cloudy" in the 3D organizer cube. I am wondering what to do about that since i love the 3D---

I can see the difference in the photos. I concur that the cloudiness is a factor for designs that require a clear view, such as a wallet or the 3D cube. Now when I get my wallet here, I will see if the cloudiness can be mitigated by having the content pressed flush against the window. I keep enough items in my present wallet that such is the case. If the flush method works for the wallet, perhaps we can explore experiments in using a folded wash cloth as a cushion to press contents in a 3d cube flush to the face as well?
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    If the flush method works for the wallet, perhaps we can explore experiments in using a folded wash cloth as a cushion to press contents in a 3d cube flush to the face as well?
    That's a clever fix, but something like that shouldn't be necessary - you guys should be able to use the 3D Cube as is! I can easily identify what I have in my 3D Clear Organizer Cube with the new Urethane, even if those items aren't flush against the wall of Urethane. But that's me (and others here at TB.) It sounds like that's not universally the case.

We've mostly received positive feedback regarding the new Urethane - but those folks also didn't dislike the previous kind as much as you guys dislike the new kind. We note your feedback! I'll let you know if we switch back to the old kind.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Darcy,

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    It sounds like that's not universally the case.
    I actually wonder if a combination would be the best solution. The new one in the Swift and other bags, and the old one in the pouches, cubes and stuff sacks? Seems as though it would solve the initial problem, which I imagine is pouches sticking to the sides of the bags, and keep everyone happy.

And I do think that the age of the eyes looking makes a difference - I've only just started needing reading glasses and when I look at the new urethane I have an immediate urge to go and find them. Or to hold the pouch futher away.

Audrey

Audrey: :)
    yes: I wear reading glasses too; and I have to hold the new one a foot away! hehehe.
    The new 3D organizer cube: I took it thru security, but they did make me open it. Never happened with the old one. It could be a one off --ultra odd TSA. Will keep you posted.
    I do like that the new Urethane is less "sticky," but I guess I do not carry a Swift, and so don't have the sticking issue!
    thanks as always for letting us express our honest feedback here.

Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    That's a clever fix, but something like that shouldn't be necessary - you guys should be able to use the 3D Cube as is! I can easily identify what I have in my 3D Clear Organizer Cube with the new Urethane, even if those items aren't flush against the wall of Urethane. But that's me (and others here at TB.) It sounds like that's not universally the case.

We've mostly received positive feedback regarding the new Urethane - but those folks also didn't dislike the previous kind as much as you guys dislike the new kind. We note your feedback! I'll let you know if we switch back to the old kind.
    If I understand the issue correctly, it's that using a form of ID with a pouch will require the ID to be removed, and that TSA will require the 3D organizer to be opened when flying.

For an ID check issue, I still think some places will have rules asking for an ID to be removed no matter how clear the container is. So you could switch back to clear and still have to remove it. For me, it wouldn't make sense to switch to a clear material when it's not a guarantee that it would avoid the ID check issue. If there was some universal rule about ID checks that every organization had to use then it might be worth it but otherwise I think you just can't win them all.

For the 3D organizer, I just took 2 flights and had no issue. I used to use a TB clear pouch (old style which was totally clear) and I had one agent request I use a ziploc bag instead. I had to remove the contents and place them in a ziploc and run them back through. The agent suggested I use the bag instead. In fact, I saw a sign at the airport that said ziploc bags are what you should be using so if you read the sign literally anything but a ziploc was required. I personally have no problem spotting items in my new 3D organizer. I will have some more flights coming up and can report back if I have a problem with TSA. But if TSA asks me to open the bag I'm not going to be really bothered.

I originally thought the new material was odd but it's growing on me. I might like it more than the original.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

Oh, ok, I see! I don't think anyone has to be concerned about the TSA requiring one to open the 3D Clear Organizer Cube because of the new Urethane specifically. We haven't heard of anyone having problems like that, and none of us have had any issues on our recent travels. But we will continue to appreciate your first-hand reports of how that goes.

Thanks, pretzelb.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by falconea View Post
    I actually wonder if a combination would be the best solution. The new one in the Swift and other bags, and the old one in the pouches, cubes and stuff sacks? Seems as though it would solve the initial problem, which I imagine is pouches sticking to the sides of the bags, and keep everyone happy.
    That would be nice, but like many of our materials, the Urethane is something that's made to order for us in large quantities, so only one variety at a time works.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi folks!

with regard to id checks at airports, my experience has consistently been that when you approach the security line, someone is checking id's by using a flashlight - i guess this is a special flashlight that verifies the authenticity of the document you are presenting, be it a passport, driver's license or other government issued id.

with regard to liquids in the 3d clear organizer cube, my experience in at least the past year has been that security is becoming more relaxed. note that this can change at any time - it just takes the smallest incident someplace for them to become more strict. but at least recently, it appears to be more relaxed. what i do is pack my liquids in the 3d clear organizer cube. i have it in a pocket where it can easily be pulled out. when i approach the security checkpoint, i ask the security officer whether i should remove my liquids or whether i can leave them in my bag. they usually say you can leave them in your bag. if they say to take them out, then i take them out. i haven't run into a situation where the security officer wants me to move the liquids from the 3d clear organizer cube to one of their plastic zip lock bags. but certainly, if this situation arose, the thing to do would be to comply with their request.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0