Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ScottE22
  • 1 Post By gmanedit

Thread: a video of the id messenger bag with the q-am strap

Volunteer Moderator

a video of the id messenger bag with the q-am strap

hi folks,

this video demonstrates what you could pack in the id messenger bag and how you can use the quick-adjust messenger strap.

GREAT imagery of the ID and QAM Strap. I'll keep it in mind down the road if my parents need a new briefcase. Black, Indigo and Steel look as great on the ID as they do on the Super Ego.

So far, I'm thrilled with my Super Ego and Standard Shoulder Strap, but I'm keeping the QAM in mind down the road.

Sounds like you have a cold. If so, get well soon.

Nice video!

I loves me my Q-AM strap and ID combo. When I am commuting to work (i.e., car to office) I use the absolute shoulder strap. When I am traveling or doing a lot of walking I switch over to the Q-AM. It keeps the bag nice and tight against you when you're moving!

And the ID is just wonderful... my all-time favorite bag in my collection. Works great as a work bag (very professional looking), but is just at home when you are traveling or in more casual situations.
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

This is perfect timing as I'm looking at the ID for my needs. Trouble is, I have the non-unibody MacBook Pro 15" which is exactly what was in the video. When I use the TB fit guide I see that I need a 4Z. In the video you said 4X.

I'm not sure what the difference is between an X and a Z, but neither is listed in the "Add a BrainCell" drop-down on the ID order page. I'm sure I can add it directly from the Brain Cell page, but I want to make sure I do this right.

So I'm just clarifying so that I can be 100% sure before I plunk down my credit card and order this...

To hold your 15" MacBook Pro (non-unibody), you are using a Size 4X Brain Cell in your ID messenger bag. Correct?

...and thanks for the video!

Edit: Now I see that there is no 4X listed so I'm guessing you meant 4Z. Again, though, it's not listed on the ID page so just verify for me that this is what you used.
    Last edited by ScottE22; 02-03-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
    This is perfect timing as I'm looking at the ID for my needs. Trouble is, I have the non-unibody MacBook Pro 15" which is exactly what was in the video. When I use the TB fit guide I see that I need a 4Z. In the video you said 4X.

I'm not sure what the difference is between an X and a Z, but neither is listed in the "Add a BrainCell" drop-down on the ID order page. I'm sure I can add it directly from the Brain Cell page, but I want to make sure I do this right.

So I'm just clarifying so that I can be 100% sure before I plunk down my credit card and order this...

To hold your 15" MacBook Pro (non-unibody), you are using a Size 4X Brain Cell in your ID messenger bag. Correct?

...and thanks for the video!

Edit: Now I see that there is no 4X listed so I'm guessing you meant 4Z. Again, though, it's not listed on the ID page so just verify for me that this is what you used.
    ScottE22,
    I think you're looking at historical differences; maverick has had his Brain cell for some time. The case fit designs periodically get updated to better fit the current crop of laptops, and some of the older versions get retired. For example, I used the Size 4 Brain Cell as the best fit to my IBM ThinkPads up until the time they came out with the size 6T. The size 4X used to be listed as an option (at least through 2008):
    The Size 4X Horizontal Brain Cell has interior dimensions of approximately 14.1 9.6 0.9 inches (358 244 24 mm), exterior dimensions of approximately 14.7 11.9 2.0 inches (373 301 51 mm), and fits these computers:

Apple MacBook Pro 15.4
    Maverick simply bought his Brain Cell back when the non-Unibody 15" MacBook Pro was the standard model.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 02-03-2010 at 01:19 PM.

I think that helps. What I'm essentially understanding is that the 4Z BrainCell -- the one I would require -- will NOT fit inside the ID. So I should consider something else.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi ScottE22,

indeed, i purchased my size 4x brain cell when i got the 15" pre-unibody design macbook pro. the 4x was replaced with the 4z, which would be a bit snug inside the id because the 4z is designed to accomodate the slightly larger 15" unibody macbook pro.

and the 15" macbook pro that both you and i have would be a bit snug in the size 4 brain cell, though that is what i used for a while when the 15" mabook pro that i have first came out and the size 4x brain cell was not yet shipping.

i don't carry my 15" macbook pro much anymore (work provided) and instead opt to carry my more portable 13" unibody aluminum macbook. and i have the cache if i do need to carry the 15" macbook pro.

if you'd like the size 4x brain cell, i'm happy to pass it on to you so you can use it with the id. i'd ask that you replace it with a size 6 horizontal brain cell that i could use with my 13" macbook.

pm me if you'd like to do that.

Scott, you can always call or email customer service for stuff like this.

I just want to chip in my two bits about the value of this specific video here.

Until I saw Maverick demonstrating (and explaining) how this QAM strap works, I was in the dark about it. For all I knew, is was just a gimmick. Now I can see it in action and hear it explained. Now I can understand, and if I want to use this approach with my Super Ego (or any other future Tom Bihn briefcase) I know what I'll be getting with this.

That's valuable.

Kudos to Maverick and to the Bihn team for establishing that YouTube channel. That's a worthwhile customer service. Next step: the main Bihn web-site needs a visible link comparable to the "forum" and "blog" links, so people will find the videos easier.

Thanks maverick and gmanedit -- the helpfulness of the folks on this forum is why I've been a member for almost 3 years even though I'm only now finally buying my first bag...

maverick - you've touched on something else that's gotten me thinking and that is the fact that my 15" MBPro is my "home" machine. I rarely take it with me. So why should I be looking for a bag to accomodate something I carry only 1% of the time? I think that percentage will drop even more once I get my hands on an iPad...

I also have a newer, unibody 13" MBPro that is work-issued. Since we're not supposed to do anything "personal" on our work machines (Draconian, I know, but I work in public education and let's just say they don't regularly tweak their Acceptable Use Policy...) I rarely haul that, either. Occasionally - maybe once every week or two - I'll bring the 13" home with me if I have a meeting off campus early the next morning.

So, of the two, I'm far more likely to haul my 13" around with me. And if I needed the 15", I could always throw it in my Marware sleeve and put it in the ID.

Thanks, again, for all the help. And thanks again for the video. One of the reasons I've hemmed and hawed for so long about buying a TB is that you just can't touch the bags before you plunk down a relatively large amount of money. The videos help immensely giving you a much better idea of how the bags look and handle in "real-life" as opposed to when stuffed full for their "photo-shoots" for the web store.

Thanks, all.

-- Scott
    Last edited by ScottE22; 02-03-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling!
    eWalker likes this.

Scott said: "maverick - you've touched on something else that's gotten me thinking and that is the fact that my 15" MBPro is my 'home' machine. I rarely take it with me. So why should I be looking for a bag to accomodate something I carry only 1% of the time? I think that percentage will drop even more once I get my hands on an iPad..."

I think this will be true for a lot of people. Between a computer at work and a computer at home, why do most of us need to carry around a computer? Many people already have smart phones, and with the iPad and other lightweight larger-screen devices, we will be freed of that weight and bulk. I'm so happy at the thought of a tablet I can just slip into the Synapse, the Cafe Bag, the Swift, or the Shop Bag; I've been waiting for this forever (I considered a netbook and an iPod Touch; neither was close enough to what I wanted). Ergonomically, we'll be much better off.

"This is perfect timing as I'm looking at the ID for my needs. Trouble is, I have the non-unibody MacBook Pro 15"—no more trouble! You picked just the right time to buy; now you don't even have to take the computer into consideration.

"And if I needed the 15", I could always throw it in my Marware sleeve and put it in the ID." Yup—that's my M.O. On the rare occasions I take my MacBook out, I put it in its cheap Muji sleeve and into my carry bag.

Enjoy your new bag. I've been pleased with everything I've bought here—and you have two months to decide if you want to keep it. The ballistic nylon of the ID is nice to the touch.
    eWalker likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0