Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Imago Steel/Steel/Cayenne

I posted a set of my Imago over at Flickr. I'll add some more when I get my gorrillapod knock off in the mail.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Nice pictures.

A request, if I may: show us the Imago as it is worn, and show us the Imago with stuff in it.

Thank you.

Thank you!!!! Brilliant photos, very helpful! Em.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Nice pictures.

A request, if I may: show us the Imago as it is worn, and show us the Imago with stuff in it.

Thank you.
    MtnMan, I am just waiting on delivery of a gorillapod knockoff I bought on eBay. I will use that to set the camera while I pose. (Strike a pose, vogue! Let your Tom Bihn bag move to the music :P )
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

That is a fine looking bag. I was leaning towards the cafe bag for my smaller messenger, but these pics give me pause... a baby brother to the ID might just be in order!!
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

hey all: I have to say that the Imago is my favorite. I have a Medium Cafe Bag which works great for travel (seen as a purse!), and for city walking around. But I find the Imago truly intelligent for everyday work. I work at a University and tend to lug around a lot of stuff. I have posted several times on the forum about how deceivingly small it looks. I can easily put in a 13inch MacBook, a small cube with a change of clothes, the usual odds and ends and have no trouble toting it around.
    My only minor complaint about it is that it will not take the Freudian Slip and I just wish I did not have to buy a FS of every different size and shape. I think some things should be made to be as "universal" a fit as humanly possible in the interest of environment! I have been attracted to the quality and design of TB -and for me, part of my willingness to pay top $ is that I will NOT need too many bags. In other words, I want ONE bag to be as versatile as possible for a variety of purposes and do the job.
    So far, I think the Western Flyer is one such bag: tremendously versatile--it can serve as a larger briefcase; a really commodious travel bag when needed for up to a week even; and a second small bag along with another for those airlines that allow two carry ons. I have been able to take the WF along with a small 18inch roll aboard on transcontinental flights without a problem or a second look.

The two side pockets on the Imago do need to be re-thought...they don't quite hold the Iphone in a case for example; and do not really accomodate any serious sunglasses!

thanks
    shiva

Smile

Shiva: Thank you for your comments on the Imago. I think we are of similar height, so I have read all of yours posts very carefully before ordering the Imago. I am awaiting delivery of it, so I haven't actually put it to use, but I'm glad to hear that it's deceivingly small (I think you mean it looks small, but packs big.)

I too, want to use the Imago as my Daily Carry Bag. I work PT at an office, but am a FT mom, so in addition to transporting 8 1/2 x 11 paperwork back and forth, I am grocery shopping and running errands rest of the day. I don't want to carry two separate bags, so I am crossing my fingers that the Imago is the answer to my needs at this point of my life.

Since you have commented on the fact that the Horizontal FS does not fit in the Imago, I have ordered 2 Large Organizer Pouches in different colors to serve a similar purpose as the FS, as I have to carry computer size blank checks back and forth, as well as bills and payments for daily inputting. The clear pouch will serve as my To Do, and the solid cordura will be for the blank checks. I wonder if ink will transfer to the clear pouch window, as I have experienced with some sheet protectors? Time will tell.

I also have an iPhone, and was wondering about the two outside pockets. Too bad that the pockets are too small to hold the iPhone, although I did have reservations about putting any small electronics in a pocket that is toward the bottom of the bag. I was afraid it might bang against the grocery cart, car, doors, etc., so they will probably go unused.

Also, in a previous post, you indicated you have the Steel/Cork/Wasabi. I was wondering if you live in a cold weather climate, as I was worried about the durability of cork in freezing/sub-freezing temps. Pls. post your future experiences with cork, thanks in advance.

Lastly, you have convinced me to buy a Western Flyer/Med Cafe Bag combo for airline travel, I plan to make those purchases soon, both in Steel, one of my fave colors!

Thanks, Shiva, for all your posts, they have been so helpful to me!!!
    Last edited by Bag Lady; 11-14-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: typo
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

Volunteer Moderator
    To clarify: The Ultrasuede pockets on the Imago are NOT too small to hold the iPhone. But if you keep your iPhone in a case, that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    My only minor complaint about it is that it will not take the Freudian Slip and I just wish I did not have to buy a FS of every different size and shape. I think some things should be made to be as "universal" a fit as humanly possible in the interest of environment!
    You bring a good point to bear, Shiva. I would like to see a Freudian Slip System that can be reconfigured depending on the bag I use. Something perhaps that allows me to unzip the slip, and remove a section thus allowing me to put the ends together much in the same manner as a dining room room table with a leaf that can be removed or added as size needs demand. I see something where the foam inserts are fabric covered, and perhaps Velcro into place, or even a sliding plastic frame, that allows an insert to fill the gap. Now that I think about it, a frame that slide to allow configuration from medium cafe bag to the current standard size would be great. Then either a series of slip on outer coverings, or perhaps (which I favor more) an ingenious design of cloth that allows for the outer cover to be tucked/folded in upon itself, and either zippered shut, or Velcro closed, to keep it from unraveling. The transformer of Freudian Slips, if you will. One slip to rule them all, and in the bags connect them (apologies to Tolkien.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    The two side pockets on the Imago do need to be re-thought...they don't quite hold the Iphone in a case for example; and do not really accomodate any serious sunglasses!
    To my eyes, it doesn't look like they could be taller. Perhaps an expandable gusset (yes, I am well aware of my fascination with gussets tyvm ;) which could allow the pocket greater on demand volume when needed, yet maintain the ascetic charm of the current design when the pockets reserve room is not required.

Attention Tom Bihn:

Hi Tom, if you happen to read this could you please tell us a little about your take on gussets. I don't think any of the bags have them as a built in expandability-on-demand feature, and I am curious as to your take on the concept of their usage. Maybe it's not something you see a need for (i.e. use the right bag for a job to begin with) or there are drawbacks to such (i.e. design integrity, or production complications.) Your take is something I'd like to read. Thanks for spending the time if you can. And thanks for making such great bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    To clarify: The Ultrasuede pockets on the Imago are NOT too small to hold the iPhone. But if you keep your iPhone in a case, that's a different story.
    Good point, Just. And the weapons grade zippers are there to help keep moisture out too. A case could be bypassed when using the pocket. However, as a man who has used various cases on Palm handhelds, I get the difficulty. Particularly when the case brings features that you use regularly, or is needed to insulate against drops onto the floor.

I think it could be useful if people spoke up about their case dimensions, even if only as a consideration toward future bag designs (not limiting it to the Imago.)

I am very happy with my Imago, and I find the Ultrasuede pockets luxurious. I am so looking forward to more Ultrasuede products. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bag Lady View Post
    Shiva: Thank you for your comments on the Imago. I think we are of similar height, so I have read all of yours posts very carefully before ordering the Imago. I am awaiting delivery of it, so I haven't actually put it to use, but I'm glad to hear that it's deceiving small (I think you mean it looks small, but packs big.)
    It's kind of like a T.A.R.D.I.S. that way: it's bigger on the inside. :P

Lightbulb

ex machina: I confess that I had to Google T.A.R.D.I.S., but I totally want one now!!!

And remember Mary Poppin's carpet bag? The Ultimate Holy Grail of Bags for those of us who will lug around everything but the kitchen sink for all those "in case of" emergencies. (sigh!)
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

Bag Lady, definitely acquaint yourself with Doctor Who. It is all sorts of awesome. ^_~ I agree with the TARDIS comparisons!
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a linen/olive Small Cafe Bag, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

Quote Originally Posted by Bag Lady View Post
    And remember Mary Poppin's carpet bag? The Ultimate Holy Grail of Bags for those of us who will lug around everything but the kitchen sink for all those "in case of" emergencies. (sigh!)
    Ahhh, there might be debate on that point. Do you remember Felix the Cat's Magic Bag of Tricks? ;)

Once again, ex machina, it appears your duty is to enlighten me! ;-)

I have never seen Felix's Magic Bag of Tricks, but what nanny wouldn't want to be able to pull a large plant, coat rack, floor lamp, and a wall mirror out of her bag?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0