Volunteer Moderator

a video of the synapse backpack featuring laptop computers

this video demonstrates how the soft shell and cache fit inside of the synapse backpack.

thank you, maverick! when you pulled the 15" MBP out (in a cache, no less!), i got excited all over again. you had both laptops (inside of each case) in there at once, yes? was there any room other than that? i guess i'm trying to figure out what else i could squeeze into the main compartment if i had my MPB in there. thoughts? :)

also, on a slightly different topic, how snug is the cache? i have a speck hard case snapped onto my MBP... do you think that would make the cache fit too snugly, or is there a bit of wiggle room inside? i've only ever used a brain cell, so i'm not familiar with the softer versions.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi bluedawg,

what? a 15" macbook pro?? your eyes and ears were playing tricks on you! ;-)

indeed, that was the prior generation 15" macbook pro. i don't know if the current unibody 15" macbook pro will fit because the one i have just fit, and the unibody design is slightly larger.

having both the 15" macbook pro and the 13" macbook with sleeves inside of the synapse was a breeze. the soft shell jacket i had inside of the synapse in this video took up more space than the 13" macbook in a cache would require. so there is still room for stuff, ideally placed in the pocket.

the 15" macbook pro is wider and taller than the 13" macbook, so you're occupying a bit more horizontal and vertical space by carrying the 15" macbook pro that would likely not get used by anything else. so you should be able to carry with the 15" macbook pro whatever you would carry with a 13" macbook. the only exception would be if you were placing anything on top of the 13" macbook.

the size 4z cache is designed to hold the 15" unibody macbook pro, as well as the earlier macbook pro design that i have, so there is wiggle room in the cache with the earlier 15" macbook pro. so the 15" macbook pro inside of the speck hard case should fit inside of the cache without any problems. i don't know how snug the 15" unibody with speck hard case would be in the cache.

let me know if you have any other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedawg View Post
    thank you, maverick! when you pulled the 15" MBP out (in a cache, no less!), i got excited all over again. you had both laptops (inside of each case) in there at once, yes? was there any room other than that? i guess i'm trying to figure out what else i could squeeze into the main compartment if i had my MPB in there. thoughts? :)

also, on a slightly different topic, how snug is the cache? i have a speck hard case snapped onto my MBP... do you think that would make the cache fit too snugly, or is there a bit of wiggle room inside? i've only ever used a brain cell, so i'm not familiar with the softer versions.

Great Video... very helpful. Was there anything in the pockets? (I know on a different post, you said the pockets don't interfere with the main compartment and visa versa, but I was wondering how it worked in this case.

Chris

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Great Video... very helpful. Was there anything in the pockets? (I know on a different post, you said the pockets don't interfere with the main compartment and visa versa, but I was wondering how it worked in this case.

Chris
    hi chris,

welcome to the forum!

indeed, there were items in the front compartments of the synapse, and there was space in the main compartment for the upcoming field journal, a binder or drawing pad.

I would love to know if a 15" Unibody Macbook Pro would fit into the Synapse. Do you think it would fit without a Cache? I realize that I am taking a risk to carry without padding but this is just for home -> office carry.

Thanks!
    Gargoyle

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I would love to know if a 15" Unibody Macbook Pro would fit into the Synapse. Do you think it would fit without a Cache? I realize that I am taking a risk to carry without padding but this is just for home -> office carry.
    that's my situation, too, gargoyle. i used to have the previous-generation 15" MBP, and now i have the unibody 15", and i really don't think there's much difference in size at all. the shape is different because of the sleeker silhouette, but i think they're super close in size. my sister has my old MBP now, so maybe i should go to her house and do a quick side-by-side comparison to make myself feel better. :) i've already pre-ordered a synapse, because i need a smaller backpack no matter what, but i'm reeeeaallly hoping i'll be able to squeeze my MBP in there!

Volunteer Moderator
    that's my situation, too, gargoyle. i used to have the previous-generation 15" MBP, and now i have the unibody 15", and i really don't think there's much difference in size at all. the shape is different because of the sleeker silhouette, but i think they're super close in size. my sister has my old MBP now, so maybe i should go to her house and do a quick side-by-side comparison to make myself feel better. :) i've already pre-ordered a synapse, because i need a smaller backpack no matter what, but i'm reeeeaallly hoping i'll be able to squeeze my MBP in there!
    hi bluedawg,

if my information is correct, the previous 15" macbook pro's dimensions were 1" x 14.1" x 9.6".

the current unibody version has dimensions of 0.95" x 14.35" x 9.82".

below is a picture of the previous generation 15" macbook pro in the synapse without the cache:

that previous version just fits with the cache, as you saw in the video.

while the unibody may fit without the cache, i don't feel comfortable recommending this.

sorry i haven't had a chance to get to the apple store to try out the new unibody version with the cache in the synapse.

i'm hoping i can make it there thursday evening.

oh maverick, for goodness sake, don't apologize! you consistently go above and beyond, with all of your videos and tutorials and testing everything out. :) mostly i'm just wishing/pontificating aloud, because i will definitely find out for myself next month. heh.

Thanks maverick, you're the best!

Bluedawg, which Synapse did you order? The Dyneema or regular? I am unable to decide! I have a small Dyneema pouch from TB which looks pretty tough, but probably more prone to tears than Cordura. The Dyneema Synapse looks sweet.

Cheers,
    Gargoyle

gargoyle, i ordered the cordura, in navy/solar. can't wait!

Volunteer Moderator
    oh maverick, for goodness sake, don't apologize! you consistently go above and beyond, with all of your videos and tutorials and testing everything out. :) mostly i'm just wishing/pontificating aloud, because i will definitely find out for myself next month. heh.
    hi bluedawg,

i finally made it to the apple store!

i'm excited to report that the 15" unibody macbook pro fits great inside of the size 4z cache!

unfortunately, i wasn't able to make the size 4z cache with the 15" unibody macbook pro inside of it fit in the synapse. the new unibody design is about half an inch wider than the earlier design.

the size 4z cache with the the earlier design of the 15" macbook pro, as i mentioned, does fit nicely in the synapse.

Hey Mav....do you think I could get a 15 x 10 packing folder into the Synapse? (Perhaps you could measure the inside width?) Thanks.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fbrown627 View Post
    Hey Mav....do you think I could get a 15 x 10 packing folder into the Synapse? (Perhaps you could measure the inside width?) Thanks.
    hi fbrown627,

yes, definitely! the size 4z cache which fits is approximately 15.0" 10.4" 1.8", and that fits inside of the synapse.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    hi bluedawg,

i finally made it to the apple store!

i'm excited to report that the 15" unibody macbook pro fits great inside of the size 4z cache!

unfortunately, i wasn't able to make the size 4z cache with the 15" unibody macbook pro inside of it fit in the synapse. the new unibody design is about half an inch wider than the earlier design.

the size 4z cache with the the earlier design of the 15" macbook pro, as i mentioned, does fit nicely in the synapse.
    (a) hi maverick! (b) yay! (c) awesome! (d) *sniff* (e) maybe i need to steal my old MBP back from my sister. ;)

thank you so much for checking on all of that and reporting back. you rock. :)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0