Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Volunteer Moderator

a video of the smart alec backpack

hi folks,

here is a video demonstrating what you could carry inside of the smart alec backpack.
    Last edited by maverick; 09-05-2009 at 09:57 PM.
    -m

hi maverick,

Thank you so much for the video! You've made up my mind. I was considering a smart alec but worrying that it might not have enough space left once I put it my macbook in a brain cell but that massive textbook of yours (plus lunchbox, headphones case, and all the other stuff you kept pulling out as if the bag was a magicians hat) convinced me that the space was plenty...
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

As always, a great video. Very informative.

Hey Maverick: thank you, thank you...since I have been hounding you for this for so very long. It seems like the smart alec is quite the magical bag---it was fascinating to watch you dive in and keep bringing up treasures!!! I guess the Synapse will only hold the 13inch; I am not one of those who buys a specific bag for a specific reason...I like multipurpose bags. So maybe I will go ahead with the Smart Alec--since it could also fit a 15inch if I needed it to; and a 13 inch would be just fine too.

If it is not too filled, does it flop?

WOW! :)

Thanks, maverick!
    Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    Hey Maverick: thank you, thank you...since I have been hounding you for this for so very long. It seems like the smart alec is quite the magical bag---it was fascinating to watch you dive in and keep bringing up treasures!!! I guess the Synapse will only hold the 13inch; I am not one of those who buys a specific bag for a specific reason...I like multipurpose bags. So maybe I will go ahead with the Smart Alec--since it could also fit a 15inch if I needed it to; and a 13 inch would be just fine too.

If it is not too filled, does it flop?
    hi shiva,

thank you for being patient, and at the same time reminding me periodically that i needed to get the video for the smart alec complete! :)

the use of 1050d ballistic nylon in the front part of the smart alec, i believe, not only looks gorgeous, but it also allows the smart alec to keep its shape even when it is pretty empty.

How many o-rings does a bag like this have to hook organizer pouches on? I counted three hooked pouches in this demo video, plus a keychain. Is this common for Tom Bihn bags? What is the maximum number of hooked pouches you carry in any given bag? What are some common items you carry in them?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    How many o-rings does a bag like this have to hook organizer pouches on? I counted three hooked pouches in this demo video, plus a keychain. Is this common for Tom Bihn bags? What is the maximum number of hooked pouches you carry in any given bag? What are some common items you carry in them?
    hi mountain man,

my smart alec has one o-ring in each of the two side pockets and one o-ring in the main compartment. i've attached three items to an o-ring, be they organizer pouches or a key strap. you can also easily attach two organizer pouches to key straps if you prefer to have the organizer pouches hang lower.

some bags have more o-rings - it just depends on each individual bag design.

you can put whatever you can imagine into an organizer pouch. small organizer pouches work well for carrying laptop sized external (usb/firewire) hard drives, an apple airport extreme, macbook pro ac adapter, or receipts; mini organizer pouches are great for many cell phones, in ear headphones, a multitool, a small flashlight, a travel sized toothbrush and toothpaste, a box of mints, batteries, card readers, travel size soap sheets, or change; medium organizer pouches are great for a portable gps and associated cables, an e-book reader, or make up; you can put all sorts of writing instruments into the pen sized organizer pouches.

Hey Maverick: how wide is the waist strap? I find the one on the Imago, for example, really thin..and it cuts into my tummy!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    Hey Maverick: how wide is the waist strap? I find the one on the Imago, for example, really thin..and it cuts into my tummy!
    hi shiva,

the waist strap is 1" wide, same as on the imago.

you may want to try not making the strap too tight if it's cutting into your tummy.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0