Volunteer Moderator

the aeronaut and more going through airport security at rdu

hi folks,

the first picture is of the aeronaut, horizontal brain cell with macbook inside, clear quarter packing cube and side effect going through security at rdu.

the second picture shows the aeronaut underneath the seat aboard an air canada crj 100 series jet. note the aeronaut also fits in the overhead compartment nicely, and that is how i stored it while inflight. i wanted to get a picture of the aeronaut underneath the seat since some folks have asked for that.

sorry - i'm too exhausted to write anything more intelligent right now. but i did want to share these pictures with you. darcy was kind enough to get the video posted of the aeronaut in the overhead bin.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Volunteer Moderator
    same story on the way back - all roll aboards were gate checked...but not the aeronaut.

airport security took away the blades for my safety razor, however :(.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Volunteer Moderator
    i should mention that my wife and son were also supposed to fly back today.

we had some lightening storms in toronto this afternoon. they were flying back to washington, dc and i was flying to raligh, nc. their flight was canceled and mine got delayed.

now, for the canceled flight, air canada announced that those who had checked luggage needed to proceed through canadian immigration, then reclaim their luggage at baggage claim, then go through canadian customs. they could then go to air canada's customer service to rebook their travel. those without checked luggage did not need to go back through immigration and customs - they could go to air canada's customer service area that is located at another gate.

on top of that, those with checked luggage would then need to go through u.s. immigration and customs and through security again in order to board their rescheduled flights.

of course, if you got rebooked much later that day or the next day, you'd still need to go through canadian immigration and customs in order to exit, and through u.s. immigration and customs and security again when you're ready to depart. but at least you have the option of not going through the of that hassle if you get rebooked on a flight that leaves soon enough.

another reason to do carry on only

Hey maverick,

The sizer looks like it has two sizes, front and back (smaller). Did you notice a sign on back, by any chance?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scotlib View Post
    Hey maverick,

The sizer looks like it has two sizes, front and back (smaller). Did you notice a sign on back, by any chance?
    hi scotlib,

no - i didn't check the other side. i'll be going up soon and will check the other side next time.

Quote Originally Posted by scotlib View Post
    Hey maverick,

I'm pretty sure that one side is for personal items, and the second is for a "standard carry-on." See http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../carry-on.html

Regards,
    Brian

Maverick, thanks for the report. Holy cow. If things haven't changed, I remember the walkway for US Customs in Toronto to be a VERY long walk once you got off the plane. I really felt for older folks, people with small children and folks with mobility issues.
    Laura Gayle
    http://lauragayle.com

Cadet (black/Iberian), travel tray, cache for Mac keyboard and 13" MBP, Ego, Aeronaut (steel/solar), Tri-star (steel/solar), 2 Absolute straps, 3D clear organizer cube, Swift, Ristretto (black/olive), stuff sacks (all sizes), snake charmer, 2 Kits, various organizer pouches, clear organizer wallet, 2 large Shop Bags... and a partridge in a pear tree.

Maverick,

That's why I have traveled carry on only for the past 10 years. It makes any unscheduled problems much easier to deal with....

Scotlib,

Air Canada allows two carry ons - a larger and a smaller one, each weighing a max of 22lb (10kg). You can also add a personal item (such as a small purse or a medium cafe bag) on top of that... One of the most generous carry on policies in the industry...
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lauragayle View Post
    Maverick, thanks for the report. Holy cow. If things haven't changed, I remember the walkway for US Customs in Toronto to be a VERY long walk once you got off the plane. I really felt for older folks, people with small children and folks with mobility issues.
    hi laura,

indeed, the walk used to be pretty crazy, and i think it still is for some airlines. but it wasn't so bad when i flew up on air canada last week.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    same story on the way back - all roll aboards were gate checked...but not the aeronaut.

airport security took away the blades for my safety razor, however :(.
    It looks like in one of your pictures that you had the Aeronaut lightly packed. I wonder if that is a major reason why they didn't ask you to check the bag. I recently stuffed mine extra full and felt a bit guilty about it. It was much smaller than most other bags but I was domestic and the rules are a bit less strict for now.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    It looks like in one of your pictures that you had the Aeronaut lightly packed. I wonder if that is a major reason why they didn't ask you to check the bag. I recently stuffed mine extra full and felt a bit guilty about it. It was much smaller than most other bags but I was domestic and the rules are a bit less strict for now.
    hi pretzelb,

it was not as packed on the way there and more so packed on the way back. in the picture where the aeronaut is coming through security, i've pulled the brain cell and 3d clear organizer cube out for the security check - the brain cell had my macbook and the 3d clear organizer cube had my toiletries.

i've traveled on the crj's with a stuffed aeronaut and it fits nicely overhead.

This picture was the final straw for me ordering my Aeronaut. I needed to know that it would fit in Westjet or Scare Canada baggage racks.

Were the end compartments empty when it went through?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by North Boy View Post
    This picture was the final straw for me ordering my Aeronaut. I needed to know that it would fit in Westjet or Scare Canada baggage racks.

Were the end compartments empty when it went through?
    hi north boy,

the one end compartment of the aeronaut was empty in the picture where you see it going through security because i had pulled the clear quarter packing cube out for the security check because it had my liquids.

oh, scare canada?

Scare Canada?

A facetious way of referring to Air Canada in regards to their customer service, not their safety rating.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0