Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Do you carry your TriStar as a backpack for exended periods/hikes? If so, how comfortable is it? How much of a load do you carry while on excursions?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Do you carry your TriStar as a backpack for exended periods/hikes? If so, how comfortable is it? How much of a load do you carry while on excursions?
    hi mountain man,

i haven't done a 5 hour layover with a tri-star like i have the with an aeronaut, but i have traveled with it a few times now. it is extremely comfortable to carry, to the point where you almost forget that it's there. it just becomes an extension of your body.

understand that if you're carrying a very heavy load and aren't used to it, you will feel some fatigue over a period of time. the great thing about the backpack straps on the tri-star and the aeronaut is that they are extremely comfortable and they distribute the load evenly across your back. i wouldn't want to carry my stuff any other way.

What were you carrying in the Tri-Star while you were out and about in SF?

First, let me say I love my Tri-Star....however....it is a travel bag....not a backpack meant for long hikes in the woods. Sure, I might walk a mile or two if need be--as it seems at times to get to the furthest gate at some airports-but I wouldn't take it on a camping trip. It's a piece of luggage that offers numerous ways of being carried. Chances are you'll see it more at airports than at the summit of Mt. Ranier.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi MtnMan,
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    As other posters have noted, the backpack mode design for the Tri-Star and Aeronaut is a travel bag implementation that's comfortable, but not meant to compete with actual backpacks, if that's your primary interest (e.g., finding a backpack that you can use as a travel bag, when you're really interested in using the same bag to trek around in the wilderness).

Here are a few articles at the One Bag, One World site that discuss alternative travel bag designs with emphasis on the backpack aspect (for bags like the MEI Voyageur, Red Oxx Sky Train, etc.). You might be interested in reading through the comments, since there's also some comparative discussion of these products with the Tom Bihn bag implementations:

I find the Tri-Star very comfortable to carry in backpack mode, particularly with the waist strap. Because of the small, compact form factor, this is even more comfortable for me than the Aeronaut in backpack mode, but that's also because I'm carrying less in the Tri-Star, so there's effectively about the same total weight as with the Aeronaut (less of it in packed contents), but with a more compact form factor and better distribution (on a small frame). I like both the Tri-Star and Aeronaut options for backpack mode carry more than using the sling strap on the (original release) Western Flyer to carry that bag on my back. I suspect that's mainly a personal preference with respect to the Western Flyer option -- I simply don't find that sling strap design as comfortable for me on that bag, although I loved the sling on my original Buzz. You may have a different opinion if you're a guy or are taller.

Incidentally, one of the features that I love about the Tom Bihn bags in general is how scaleable the designs are so that the same bag carries comfortably for people with very different frames and heights. I'm not sure how to put that fact into a product review, though! I would read through some of the reader forums on the One Bag, One World site as all these guys would chime in with alternate bag recommendations, and then I'd follow the links to the review sites on eBags, etc. and there would be comments like "I really wanted to like this bag, but " followed by a list of all the things that didn't work so well because the reviewer was under 5' 6" in height. So you may have a lot more options for a bag that's comfortable for you. If you're interested, take a look at the Carry-On Traveller's bag thread in the forums that resulted in the design of the Aeronaut and notice how many of the early posts/suggestions are from women (not the ones by maverick and Cobos, but the rest).

moriond

I really want to go visit San Francisco again. I want to see lombard st. and actually make it to the palace of fine arts when it isn't under construction. So many things to see and so little time!
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    I really want to go visit San Francisco again. I want to see lombard st. and actually make it to the palace of fine arts when it isn't under construction. So many things to see and so little time!
    hi katy,

san francisco is one of my favorite cities in the world!

if you enjoy vegetarian food (somehow, it's always about the food! :), and if you get the opportunity, i highly recommend you dine at millennium restaurant and lucky creation vegetarian.

millennium is a lovely, elegant restaurant on geary with a menu that changes regularly according to what's in season. it's a good idea to make a reservation.

lucky creation vegetarian is a hole in the wall that serves authentic chinese food. the pot stickers are great! you don't have to call ahead - just show up.

I love vegetarian food! but more than that..I love curry. If there is a place with good curry send me there too and I will be the happiest person ever to walk the streets of san fran! I have never had pot stickers but would love to try them! The millennium restaurant looks good as well (I see they have a curry dish with kaffir leaves! YUM!) I didn't really eat anywhere memorable in a good way while I was there, even though everything was paid for by my college. We had some pretty good fish and chips at a pub somewhere near little italy and some really bad breakfast at a place called Bob's I think. Oh..and then there was The Rain forest Cafe. :(
    Last edited by Katy; 10-26-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Maverick... have you tried Green's down at Fort Mason? Simply a beautiful bayside atmosphere. It was my first true organic experience. A restaurant like that really changes your outlook on grocery shopping; I buy tons more organic these days.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlJ View Post
    Maverick... have you tried Green's down at Fort Mason? Simply a beautiful bayside atmosphere. It was my first true organic experience. A restaurant like that really changes your outlook on grocery shopping; I buy tons more organic these days.
    hi karlj,

i think you're the third person to mention this place to me. i've been meaning to try it, but have never made it there. it's on my list for my next trip to san francisco!

thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    I love vegetarian food! but more than that..I love curry. If there is a place with good curry send me there too and I will be the happiest person ever to walk the streets of san fran!
    hi katy,

funny enough, the first meal i had in india (well, not counting the breakfast on the train ride) included curry, and it was absolutely delicious! you won't find curry like that here, but i'm sure there are lots of places that serve outstanding curry!

i caught a cold the last couple of days i was there - the sort where you can't really taste or smell anything. i can tell you if something is sweet or savory, that's about it. but i still remember the taste of that curry...

Lucky! Good curry is hard to come by. I wish I could travel to India, I have not been out of the country since I was born (I was born in Japan). One day I hope to travel to India, Thailand, Italy and France. My friend's mother met a guy on a flight back from India and they talked the whole way. A few months later he was in Portland for business and stayed at her house and my friend and I took him all around Portland. He was so friendly and shared a lot of information about traditions from his home and stories about his upcoming wedding. Hopefully if I ever make it to India I can visit him and he can show me around! My Japanese teacher's wife is from Thailand and he used to show me a lot of pictures from their trips there and I think it would be an amazing place to visit!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0