Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator

the aeronaut and medium cafe bag in amsterdam

hi folks,

i had a few hours while transiting through amsterdam, so i went into this beautiful city and took a few pictures.

i've posted a few pictures here. the rest you'll find in the gallery.

enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by maverick; 05-25-2009 at 05:30 PM.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    the klm/northwest agent at the gate at washington dulles international airport stopped me, suspecting that my aeronaut was too big to carry onboard. he wanted to check that the aeronaut was within the sizing guidelines, and i said: absolutely! after he was satisfied, i told him that tom bihn designed the aeronaut specifically to comply with airline sizing guidelines for carry on baggage. i asked him if he wouldn't mind me getting a picture of him verifying the bag fits, and he agreed!

Volunteer Moderator
    if you're traveling in the local trains in amsterdam, you'll be happy to know that the aeronaut will fit in the overhead compartment.

these compartments are pretty skinny, so an overstuffed aeronaut may not fit in these overhead compartments.

Volunteer Moderator
    it was a beautiful, warm, sunny day - perfect for walking around voldenpark!

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    if you're traveling in the local trains in amsterdam, you'll be happy to know that the aeronaut will fit in the overhead compartment.

these compartments are pretty skinny, so an overstuffed aeronaut may not fit in these overhead compartments.
    Thank you for the wonderful pictures (as always). I was wondering what packing cubes you were using with your aeronaut as it looks slim. Also, does the aeronaut generally fit under the seat in front of you when packed like that?

Thanks,
    David

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmking View Post
    Thank you for the wonderful pictures (as always). I was wondering what packing cubes you were using with your aeronaut as it looks slim. Also, does the aeronaut generally fit under the seat in front of you when packed like that?

Thanks,
    David
    hi david,

inside the aeronaut, i had my crazy creek camping chair, the packing cube backpack with 3 changes of clothes (1 pair of pants, 1 pair of shorts, 2 t-shirts, one button down shirt, 3 pairs of underwear - still room to spare after all of that in there), 2 moleskine journals, one hardback book about the size of a moleskine, one paperback book. all of that was in the main compartment. i also had the medium cafe bag in the main compartment while flying. i took it out in amsterdam and put in the things i wanted easy access to into the medium cafe bag.

the side pockets of the aeronaut had my toiletries, leica d-lux 4, breakfast and energy bars, hat, sunglasses, a hat, a lonely planet travel guide for amsterdam, and other odds and ends.

this is how the aeronaut was packed in the picture with the klm/northwest gate agent checking the size of the aeronaut:

the aeronaut would not have fit in the overhead compartment of the train with the medium cafe bag inside. note that the overhead compartment of the train was way skinnier than any overhead compartment in any airplane i have traveled in, including the regional jets that have one seat on one side and two on the other. the aeronaut with the medium cafe bag seemed tiny in the overhead compartments of these jets - one was a boing 777, and the other a mcdonnell douglas. i've carried the aeronaut stuffed more than this in the overhead compartment of the tiny regional jets and it just fit. however, i understand that some people traveling some of the european carriers have expressed some concern about the size of the aeronaut on those flights.

i have never tried to fit the aeronaut under the seat in front of me - i've always placed it in the overhead compartment. while you may get it to fit under the seat in front of you with the aeronaut sticking out a bit (has anyone here tried?), i think the overhead compartment is the best place for the aeronaut.

klm puts these metal boxes on the floor that take up half the space under the seat. it isn't under every seat - just every so often. i'm not sure what they are for. on this trip, i always managed to get seats where one of these boxes was under the seat in front of me. so never mind trying to put the aeronaut there, i barely had space for my feet! :)
    Last edited by maverick; 05-25-2009 at 11:20 PM.
    -m

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Wow!! Those are amazing pictures, maverick. Can't wait to post them on the blog! Thanks for sharing them!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Wow!! Those are amazing pictures, maverick. Can't wait to post them on the blog! Thanks for sharing them!
    thanks for the kind words, darcy.

i'm impressed with what this little camera does. while i goofed on the exposure on a couple of the pictures, most of them came out very nice. other than cropping, i didn't do anything else in publishing these pictures. hmmm, now that i think about it, i may want to go back and make some edits when i'm over the jet lag :).

Hi maverick,

I am one of those who has worried about the Aeronaut's size. To view your pictures it does not seem so huge, at all. I look at your Med. Cafe and Aeronaut, and look at my Medium Cafe on my desk, maybe I could live with the Aeronaut .. but it's listed as 22x14x9 and I do not want another bag that size!

... yet in your pictures ... round and round I go.

Whatever I get, it will have to wait until fall (sigh).

Thanks for all the great pictures. Cheers.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scotlib View Post
    Hi maverick,

I am one of those who has worried about the Aeronaut's size. To view your pictures it does not seem so huge, at all. I look at your Med. Cafe and Aeronaut, and look at my Medium Cafe on my desk, maybe I could live with the Aeronaut .. but it's listed as 22x14x9 and I do not want another bag that size!

... yet in your pictures ... round and round I go.

Whatever I get, it will have to wait until fall (sigh).

Thanks for all the great pictures. Cheers.
    hi scotlib,

one of the beautiful things about the aeronaut is that you have the pleasure to stuff it and also the choice to pack minimally. in the pictures from this trip where you see the aeronaut and medium cafe bag, keep in mind that i had the medium cafe bag and its contents in the aeronaut while i was traveling by air. even then, because this was such a short trip, i had room to spare in the aeronaut with the medium cafe bag inside.

to contrast, on another trip, my aeronaut was quite full:

remember that you can get the aeronaut and try it in the comfort of your home. if you find it isn't the right size for you, you can return it unused.

i hope this helps!

let me know how the aeronaut works out for you if you do end up getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post

klm puts these metal boxes on the floor that take up half the space under the seat. it isn't under every seat - just every so often. i'm not sure what they are for. on this trip, i always managed to get seats where one of these boxes was under the seat in front of me. so never mind trying to put the aeronaut there, i barely had space for my feet! :)
    Usually its for the in-flight entertainment system that has been retrofitted into older airplanes. I usually like to keep my Empire Builder at my feet since I'm 5'8", but if I see a video box the EB goes in the overhead bin.

wow great pictures and review.
    I ordered the tristar because of my concern of the Aeronaut size and those sticky European airlines. I am still considering the Aeornaut for my partner. I will see when I get the tristar and do a rough pack job to see what it holds.
    But after seeing your pictures it might work ok if not packed to full. But I doubt we can pack quite as light as you....
    :)

I love those pics! Most people take pictures of themselves, or family, or people they meet along the way. As Tom Bihn fans we take pictures of our bags!
    There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mruseless View Post
    I love those pics! Most people take pictures of themselves, or family, or people they meet along the way. As Tom Bihn fans we take pictures of our bags!
    i take pictures of family and friends traveling with me, people i meet along the way and my tom bihn bags, but i was traveling alone this time. :)

I have put my Aeronaut under the seat on a flight. Its a bit of a squeeze, but it fits. After takeoff I slid it out under my knees so I had more leg room. Works just fine.
    There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0